2/24 Instance: Failcake

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

2/24 Instance: Failcake

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined for a few days after the end of the blizzard.

<Hope> The perfect lazy day had to include a cute boy, a fire, and a warm blanket. Check, check, and check. Hope lay against Shinobi on the couch, snuggled into him while the fire blazed beside them. While the blizzard was over, a fire was still a great way to keep warm and a reason to leave the basement. She adjusted their blanket a bit, getting more comfortable.

<Shinobi> The chapter finished, Shinobi turned the page and blinked a little. "I think it's time for a break. Getting a headache." He kissed Hope through her hair and found the bookmark to mark their place.

<Hope> "You alright?" she asked, a little concerned as she looked up at him.

<Shinobi> "Fine," he assured her with a smile. The text was a little blurry, but it was nothing. Probably smoke from the fire. He bumped his leg against hers under the blanket. "More than fine."

<Bobby> He'd gotten used to hearing Sharky Junior's voice droning on while he read to Hope, and when it stopped he edged toward the steps to listen, giving Jess an innocent blink-blink.

<Hope> She smiled with him, running her fingers through his hair. "I can think of something better than reading anyway."

<Bobby> He mouthed a not-so-silent "Ew."

<Jessica> Jess giggled quietly and shook her head, swatting Bobby's arm, "Grow up."

<Bobby> "Abuse, woman!" He laughed and moved away from the stairs, making a face at Miriam in her little bouncer while Jess worked. "Grow up? Me? Nevar!"

<Shinobi> "Yeah?" He closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of her fingers on his scalp. "That's nice..."

<Jessica> She laughed, "I know, the universe would implode if that happened."

<Hope> Hope smiled more at that and leaned in, kissing him softly, her fingers still in his hair.

<Shinobi> He set the book aside and found her hair, more than happy to lose himself in the kiss.

<Bobby> "Da-aaarn skippy! Right baby girl? Riiight?" Bobby was pleased he still had the magic touch since Miriam started flailing and squeaking happily.

<Hope> That kiss was broken by the sound of someone at the door. Hope glanced in that direction. "I didn't order food."

<Jessica> Jess looked down as though she could see through the floor. "Uh... Guess I should see who that is..."

<Bobby> "Where you expecting anybody? I can go get it? I mean, I'm supposed to be all guardy-grr anyways, right?"

<Jessica> "Wasn't expecting anyone... come down with me if you want... Sharky, watch Miriam." She headed for the stairs, the silver corgi plonking his wiggly butt down on the floor in front of the bouncer.

<Shinobi> Shinobi watched the poor house robot shuffle down the stairs, chattering to itself. "He really needs to work on that thing..."

<Bobby> "Sure thing!" He followed Jess, only giving one backward glance to the whole doggie sitter thing.

<Hope> "Guess he's been a little busy..." Hope pointed out. With the door situated, she snuck a kiss to Shinobi's cheek.

<Shinobi> "Well, he did call Nebraska, I guess..."

<Jessica> Jess circumvented Widget via a wall and the ceiling, reaching the front door ahead of him and peeking through the spyhole. "Huh."

<Bobby> He wasn't sure about ice slides in the house, so instead he just rattled down the staircase quickly, edging past Widget. "On your left, buddy!" Once he hit the bottom, he skidded to a halt beside Jess. "Huh?"

<Jessica> Jess opened the door, "Hi? Do I call you 'Tony' or 'Mr President'?"

<TonyStark> Tony grinned. "Both. Hello, Jessica. I brought cupcakes."

<Bobby> "Yeahbuwha? Why..." He checked his phone. "This is... a surprise?"

<Jessica> "Awesome. We like cake." She stepped aside, "Come on in...." She gave Widget an apologetic look as he burbled quietly and turned to go back up the stairs again.

<Hope> Hope knew that voice. She got to her feet, listening.

<TonyStark> Moving on inside, Tony was followed by his own security detail. "Who doesn't like cake?"

<Shinobi> Tony. Did they say Tony? This... wasn't good. Slowly, he got to his feet as well.

<Bobby> "Right... why answer me... since you never do." Bobby muttered under his breath and glared at the Secret Service agent on the porch, who just smirked at him. Fucker.

<Hope> She headed for the door, pausing when she could see the president. "Dad? Whaaaat are you doing here?"

<Jessica> "Crazy people don't like cake... and people allergic to wheat and gluten." She pushed the door closed then navigated the ceiling to drop down in front of them again and lead the way up the stairs.

<Shinobi> Shinobi was far slower to follow. He hated to leave Hope, but... Tony Stark.

<TonyStark> Tony gave Jess a look. So literal. How did Sebastian do that? Then he looked at her again. That's how he did that. He jerked his head in the direction of his daughter. "Hope. I brought cupcakes. And to talk."

<Bobby> Oh boy. This was... well he kind of wanted to watch, but he also kind of wanted to be out of the line of fire. "I'll go check on Miriam, make sure your dog is doing his job..."

<Jessica> "Of course he's doing his job, he's a good boy." Jess was offended on Sharky's behalf, "Coward." She added under her breath.

<Hope> Skeptical by this offering of sugary goodness, Hope gave him a look. "Did you come to bring back those signed forms?"

<TonyStark> Matching her look, Tony stared his child down. "I am not going to a nursing home."

<Hope> Hope smirked and closed the distance to hug him finally.

<Shinobi> Lingering on the stairs, he caught sight of the hug, and moved aside when Drake passed him on the way back up.

<Jessica> Jess went up the stairs ahead of them to start a pot of coffee, checking in on Bobby and Miriam on her way past the nursery to the floor with the kitchen and livingroom.

<TonyStark> Hugging her a big awkwardly, Tony tried to smile.

<Hope> "Come on upstairs, we were just reading by the fire. And by we, I mean Shinobi."

<Shinobi> Subtle. He started to retreat, then changed his mind and waited for them on the steps.

<TonyStark> He made a face. Books and an assassin. What had happened to his child? He adjusted his box of cupcakes, making sure his detail knew to follow as Hope led him up the stairs.

<Shinobi> He saw Hope coming up and smiled. Unexpected visit, huh?

<Hope> Hope gave him the best smile she could. Yes. I would have warned you. I don't know why he's here.

<TonyStark> Tony glared.

<Shinobi> Yeah you do. His mental tone was amused, and not a little scared. Clearing his throat, he waited until Tony Stark was a little closer and nodded. "Good afternoon, Mr. President." After a beat, he offered his hand to shake.

<TonyStark> Tony looked down at that hand. He did not want to touch that hand! But he did want to make a point. He took the hand, squeezing it as hard as he could.

<Shinobi> Though he ground his teeth a little, he didn't flinch, and met the president's eyes.

<TonyStark> "Shaw." It was the only greeting he was getting, but he did smirk at the kid.

<Hope> "So, the living room is right this way," Hope tried to redirect them.

<Jessica> "Coffee?" Jess held up the tray in offer and nodded toward the living room to reinforce Hope's invitation.

<Shinobi> Shinobi returned the smirk, but took the hint to rejoin the women.

<TonyStark> "With scotch, yes." Tony told Jess, following the science experiment up the stairs.

<Jessica> "I'm sure we have some of that in the house." Jess set the tray down on the coffee table.

<Shinobi> He was a little surprised Stark's security detail hadn't tackled him to the floor and searched him, but wasn't going to take his good fortune for granted, moving away from the man as soon as he reached the living room.

<Hope> Hope really didn't know what to do now. She looked between Shinobi and her dad, opting to stand somewhere in between them. There, she could be a buffer zone.

<TonyStark> "It's the best way to enjoy coffee, after all."

<Shinobi> "Need any help, Jess?" He decided it was better than standing there like a post.

<Jessica> "The best way to enjoy coffee is from a distance," Jess corrected, offering Shinobi a smile. "Thanks."

<Hope> Hope picked up a mug of coffee and sipped it before setting it down on the mantle. "So I was promised cake."

<Shinobi> He just nodded to Jess and fetched the scotch from Sebastian's liquor cabinet.

<TonyStark> "Right," he handed her the box. "I knew you'd like these.

<Shinobi> There was no way he was making Stark's drink, so he handed Jess the bottle and took his own coffee, wandering over toward Hope to inspect the offering. Pink cupcakes.

<Jessica> Jess poured a splash of scotch into Tony's cup before handing it over.

<TonyStark> He gave Jess a smile. "Thank you, Jessica." He sampled it appreciatively.

<Hope> Hope opened the box, smiling up at Shinobi. "They smell amazing." She reached in, handing Shinobi the first cupcake.

<Jessica> "No problem," she returned the smile, clearing the tray and putting her tea down on the coffee table so she could put the tray to one side.

<Shinobi> "Yeah, they do..." He was trying to place the smell, giving the cupcake a curious look.

<Hope> Hope took a second cupcake out and put the box down on the table. "Thanks, Dad." She smiled over at him.

<TonyStark> Tony nodded his response, preoccupied with scotch.

<Shinobi> The frosting was some sort of buttery, caramely stuff. He picked up a napkin from the tray, handing her one in preoccupied contemplation.

<Hope> With a smile, Hope took the napkin. "Thanks." She started peeling the wrapper around the cake off.

<Shinobi> Wait. Manners be damned, he stuck a finger in the frosting and licked. "Shit - Hope!" Luckily she was still unwrapping, so he very nearly dropped his own cupcake, snatching hers from her hands.

<Jessica> Jess blinked, "What's the matter?" The anxiety levels in the room had risen suddenly and dramatically.

<Hope> Hope just looked at him. "The hell?!"

<TonyStark> That quickly caught Tony's attention too, looking over there.

<Shinobi> "There's peanuts in that." He barely managed to keep hold of both of the cupcakes, carefully placing them on the coffee table. "In the frosting."

<Jessica> Jess' eyes widened, "Tony!" Her voice was full of reprimand. She picked up a stack of coasters and started hurling them at him one at a time.

<Jessica> "You. Fucking. IDIOT!"

<Hope> The closest guard quickly stepped between Jess and the president. "Ma'am!"

<Jessica> This didn't stop Jess at all, "You could have killed her!"

<Hope> Hope just stared at Shinobi. It couldn't be true. No, no, no. She looked down at her fingers, noticing the icing that had gotten on them. She tried wiping her hand with the napkin, but her other hand was shaking too hard. She shoved both at Shinobi.

<TonyStark> "What are you talking about?! She loves... oh. I knew there was a connection there..."

<Jessica> "You have a million people that work for you you could have asked! What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She threw the last handful at him all at once.

<Shinobi> Shinobi picked up another napkin and took her hand, trying to clean the icing off. "Will you be okay? It's not a lot... that's why it took me a minute... sorry."

<Hope> "I don't know why you're apologizing..." she swallowed, looking down at her hand which was already becoming red. "Benedryl. Jess, do we have benedryl? DRAKE? Doesn’t he have some?!"

<Jessica> Jess nodded, "Sit down, I'll get it." She went to the door, shooting a glare at Tony. She was so not done with the yelling.

<TonyStark> Shielded by his guard, he missed the attack and just stared. He finally moved to see his kid for himself.

<Shinobi> "Maybe we can wash it off in the kitchen?" She was shaking harder and so he gave a final wipe and just held her. "It's okay... you'll be okay."

<Bobby> Hearing the commotion, he ordered Sharky back on guard duty and ran up the stairs. "What the hell?" This was a mess, but Hope was freaking out and he heard peanuts so he fished his epi pen from his pocket and headed for Hope.

<Bobby> "Who the fuck gave her peanuts? For fuck's sake!"

<Hope> Her arms slid around Shinobi, holding onto him tightly. "My FATHER did."

<Jessica> "Ask her dumbass father." Jess glared at Tony again from the doorway, arms crossed over her chest. President and genius or not, he was a moron today.

<TonyStark> Tony just took a step back and glared.

<Hope> "It just got on my fingers... just my hand. Just my hand." She told Bobby, starting to calm.

<Bobby> He gave the president a patented WTF face and debated prying Sharky Junior off. "So you don't need the pen?" He waved it.

<Jessica> Jess crossed the hall to the kitchen and grabbed the box of allergy meds, heading back into the living room, "Shinobi," she tossed them over.

<Hope> Hope shook her head from her nestled position in Shinobi's arms. "Just Benedryl. I think. I can still breathe right? I'm breathing?"

<Shinobi> Shinobi caught the box and squinted at the back. "Just one of these? Two?" He rested his chin on the crown of her head, forcing his own breathing to calm. "You're breathing, just... breathe with me."

<Hope> "Two or three," she told him, trying to match her breathing to his.

<TonyStark> Tony watched this exchange carefully, taking a sip of his drink.

<Jessica> Jess put the cupcakes back in the box and removed them from the room.

<Bobby> He pocketed the pen and started picking up napkins, taking an experimental sniff of the icing mess on one. With a shrug, he took them away to the trash.

<Jessica> Jess returned with a damp cloth, "Hands," she said to Hope. "Just to be safe."

<Hope> She took the cloth, reluctantly having to move her arms from Shinobi to do so. She breathed as she washed her hands, "Thank you, Jess."

<Shinobi> "Okay, three works... will probably put you to sleep though." He needed both hands to open the box while Jess helped Hope. "Wait, I should wash mine too." He handed Jess the box and went to take care of that.

<Jessica> "No problem," she offered Hope a small smile and a wave of calm while she opened up the box and pressed three pills out onto her palm. "You'll be fine."

<TonyStark> Unable to help himself, Tony just glared at Shinobi as he left.

<Hope> Hope nodded to her, picking up her coffee and using it to take the pills.

<Jessica> Jess gently rubbed her back in case her airways were struggling and watched the door for Shinobi.

<Hope> Pills swallowed, Hope turned on her father. She moved away from Jess and closed the distance to Tony. "What, the everloving hell!?"

<TonyStark> "Look... I'm sorry. I knew there was a connection between you and peanuts."

<Jessica> Jess reached for the cloth to wipe the table down and clear any residual crumbs or icing from it. She shot Tony another angry look before she exited for the kitchen again.

<Hope> "Yes there's a connection. A deathly allergy! LOOK at my hand." She shoved it into his face.

<TonyStark> Startling a bit, he took her hand and inspected it. He managed to hide his cringe. "I'm really sorry."

<Jessica> "As you can probably hear, she's feeling much better," Jess told Bobby and Shinobi in the kitchen. She tossed the cloth into the sink and washed her hands then went to unhook the vacuum from its station on the wall.

<Hope> "I know you came here because of Shinobi. But let's take a look at the scoreboard. Out of all the people in this house, who is the one who actually tried to kill me? YOU. Stop being butthurt that he tried to kill you under mind control. Apparently I'd have been safer!" She headed for her room. Tony could do whatever the hell it was he did.

<Shinobi> He'd washed a little more than his hands in the sink, and short of going to his room and brushing his teeth this was as good as it would get so he started back for the living room.

<TonyStark> "Hope..." he sighed as she left and took another sip. Women.

<Bobby> Yup, if she was yelling, she was fine. He was staying right where he was for now, and looked in the fridge for a soda.

<Jessica> Jess took the vacuum into the living room to rid the carpet of any lingering crumbs.

<Shinobi> Shinobi came into the living room and looked around. No Hope. "Where'd she go?"

<TonyStark> Tony glared and took a sip. "You tell me, boy wonder."

<Shinobi> He tilted his head. "Is she okay?"

<TonyStark> "She's a Stark. She's fine." He took a seat, eying Shinobi.

<Jessica> "No thanks to you." Jess set to work on the crumbs.

<Shinobi> "Yeah, that name comes with immunity to an allergic reaction." He snorted and picked up his own coffee, deciding he didn't care to play nice now.

<Jessica> "Feet." Jess instructed when she got to Tony.

<TonyStark> "Yet she's fine." He gave Jess a look. "Yes I have nice feet."

<Jessica> "They're in the way. Move them." She rolled her eyes.

<TonyStark> "I didn't hear a please." He smiled sweetly, but moved. How the hell did Sebastian do that?

<Shinobi> He watched this and sipped his coffee, debating if he should sit down. Are you okay? After all, he had other ways to check.

<Hope> My dad just tried to kill me. How do you think I am? She tried not to snap at Shinobi through their minds. She really tried.

<Jessica> Jess vacuumed the spot under Tony's feet, giving him a withering look for that remark. "People who try to kill their daughters don't get a please."

<TonyStark> "I didn't try to kill her," he gave an exasperated tone. "Everyone just calm down."

<Jessica> "You could have though. Has that even filtered through?" She shut the vacuum off. "Do you understand what could have happened if she'd eaten that?"

<Shinobi> "Well, I think she might think so." He winced at the snap, but knew it wasn't really directed at him.

<TonyStark> "Because she overreacts to everything. Of course I know. Two boy...toys ago put her in the hospital with Chinese food."

<Jessica> "And yet you gave her peanuts. Do you get why we're pissed? You know that happened but you didn't make the connection. She's your daughter, Tony. You're supposed to know things like that!"

<Shinobi> "Yeah, stir fry with peanut oil, I know. And I know enough to check."

<TonyStark> Tony really wanted to ignore Jess. "I remember now." She was annoying. And naggy. Dodged a bullet there! He took another sip. "I'm the one who is still concerned with her future." He looked hard at Shinobi.

<Jessica> "But not concerned enough to check before poisoning her." Jess rolled her eyes again.

<Shinobi> Shinobi picked up on that and gave Stark a flat stare.

<TonyStark> "Thank you, Polly, I didn't hear you the first few times." He stared back at Shinobi. He swirled the liquid a bit. "What kind of future do you think she can have being tied to, well, you?"

<Jessica> Jess took the scotchy coffee from him for that remark. She'd be damned if he was drinking their scotch while being a shit.

<Shinobi> "Well, what kind do you think? I am a Shaw, after all." He smirked.

<TonyStark> "And a terrorist. I'll be in the workroom. Inform Sebastian when he arrives. Shouldn't be long." He headed that direction.

<Shinobi> He wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of smelling his fear.

<Jessica> Jess narrowed her eyes at the back of Tony's head, "Sharky," she called, hearing the answering yip from the floor below. "Guard the liquor cabinet in the workroom." The patter of metal feet on the stairs made her smile a little.

<TonyStark> "Oh, and make sure the transport is ready. We'll be leaving quickly, since Hope was right. This place is violating the constitituion."

<Jessica> Jess reached for Shinobi's hand and gave it a squeeze.

<Shinobi> Of course, Jess could sense his rising panic, and he clutched her hand. If it wasn't a bluff, he could escape, but it meant leaving Hope. He swallowed down the lump in his throat.

<Jessica> Jess stepped closer to him, keeping her voice low, "Over my dead body."

<Shinobi> It was awfully convenient that his father wasn't here for any of this, wasn't it? He just nodded. "Thanks..." he whispered.

<Jessica> "Family." Jess reminded him, giving his hand another squeeze. "Always."
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6