1/13 Instance: Sincères Condoléances

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

1/13 Instance: Sincères Condoléances

Post by Slarti »

Timelined after Anything for the Scoop

<Shaw> As his work room was in the basement and Jessica spent most of her time in the cupola, Sebastian had struck the middle ground as the best course and moved a small box of his supplies to the lounge above their bedroom.

<Shaw> Now, he sat at a makeshift desk with his tablet and a stylus, working on the redesigned Danger Room and occasionally taking sips from his lukewarm coffee. After the encounter with Farrell, he was sticking close to home.

<Monet> Monet stood on the step, looking up at the massive building with a frown. Interesting place to build a family. Or, rather, almost build a family. She winced at the cruelty of that thought and stepped up to knock on the giant oak door. Sebastian?

<Shaw> He stiffened at the brush of that familiar mind. Yes?

<Monet> Are you going to come answer the door? She arched an eyebrow as the door was still shut before her and his mind hadn't moved any closer. Or should we just discuss things like this while you leave me outside in the chill of the night?

<Shaw> Sebastian's lips pursed at her tone and he cast a glance upward toward Jessica. Are you prepared to be civil?

<Monet> Oui. I may be a bitch, but I'm not heartless. Open the door, Sebastian.

<Shaw> He rose and sent a quiet warning up to Jessica, eyes still trained toward the ceiling as if he could see her. Jessica's sigh was almost audible, and her withdrawal.

<Shaw> At that, he too sighed and moved to the stairs to begin the descent to the front door.

<Monet> Monet stood with her arms crossed as she waited, having felt the upset she caused in the home already. And to think she had wanted to come by to be nice. Sebastian knew she was capable of it sometimes.

<Monet> Didn't he?

<Shaw> Sebastian deactivated the alarm and opened the door for her, inclining his head in greeting. "Monet." He met her eyes briefly and held the door open to invite her into the foyer.

<Monet> Monet tipped her head as well, "Sebastian." She stepped through the door and looked around, slightly in awe. "This is definitely different from your usual choice."

<Shaw> "Yes, well, it seemed fitting," he said, closing the door behind her and offering her assistance with her coat from force of habit. "It was built as one of the first African-American churches in Boston and has great historical significance in the anti-slavery and civil rights movements."

<Shaw> It was a fairly straight-forward rundown of the history of the place, and delivered in a slightly flat tone.

<Monet> Monet let him take her coat and she adjusted her top once freed of it. "Interesting. And how is that fitting for a young white woman and her very white sugar daddy?" She smirked to let him know she was teasing.

<Shaw> He started to bristle, then returned the smirk. "Despite our race, we're still mutants, a very definite minority." Inclining his head toward the stairs, he allowed her to proceed him.

<Monet> "Oui." She did so, looking around still, "Even different for you, it is quite breath-taking. I approve." Monet looked over her shoulder at him, "How is Jessica?"

<Shaw> "Thank you." Unfortunately, as the second floor took them to the master bedroom and former nursery, he nodded toward the next set of stairs to the kitchen. "She is upstairs," he said, looking away from Monet's probing eyes.

<Monet> "And is she well? Or should I assume that by your non-answer, she died five minutes ago and you don't want anyone to know yet?"

<Shaw> He turned fully to face her. "Do not joke about such things, Monet."

<Monet> Monet held up her hands in surrender, "Oui. De rein. I didn't mean to upset you. Merely trying to get you to answer my question."

<Shaw> "Physically, she is mending," he said with a nod, turning to lead the way upstairs to the kitchen and trying not to look at the nursery door. "Her real recovery will take time, however."

<Monet> Monet followed him, letting her eyes wander to the nursery even if his didn't. "Oui. I can imagine. I am glad that she is healing outwardly at least. That is a step after all." She stopped him with a hand on his shoulder. "Et toi, Sebastian?"

<Shaw> Halfway up the stairwell, he froze and turned back to her. "I think you can imagine," he said flatly.

<Monet> "Stop that," she frowned at him. "You will not be a menace to me on the rare occasion that I decide to be kind to you. Is that clear?"

<Shaw> Huffing a laugh, he shook his head. Jessica could hear every word they said. "I was ready, Monet," he said softly, leaning close. "Ready to be a husband and a father-" He cut himself off before his voice broke. "And I came very close to losing her as well."

<Monet> "Oui." She put her hand on his arm and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I know. And I know how you feel. At least on one point." Monet debated with herself for a moment before stepping closer and hugging him.

<Shaw> It surprised Sebastian for a moment and then he relaxed and returned the embrace. "Je te remercie, Monet." Turning his face toward her ear, he sighed. "It was a girl," he whispered.

<Monet> Monet gave a small sad smile and squeezed him, "I am so sorry, Sebastian." People could be so stupid and reckless sometimes. "She would have been beautiful."

<Shaw> "Oui." It was surprisingly easy to fall into the French with Monet, and he rested his head against hers, eyes closed in mourning. "We named her Grace."

<Monet> She smiled at that and put her hand on the back of his head, "A beautiful name for a beautiful femme. You will be with her again one day."

<Shaw> He smirked, doubtful of that, and moved away to lead her up the stairs to the kitchen.

<Monet> Monet followed reluctantly, frowning at the feeling she got from him. "If I had thought about it, I would have brought scotch. My apologies. Next time, I will. If your fiancee allows me back in your home."

<Shaw> "We have scotch, but thank you for the sentiment." Once in the kitchen, he turned back to her and offer her a drink.

<Monet> "One can never have too much scotch in the liquor cabinet," she smirked at him and took the proffered drink. "However, is there anything that the two of you do need? Now, don't tell me no just because you can afford it. You have suffered a loss and I am willing to purchase your necessities."

<Shaw> "No, but thank you." Sebastian smiled, the expression more genuine than any he'd worn yet with her. "We've stayed in, she's not feeling well yet and she's self-conscious." He took a long sip of his scotch and moved to the sofa in the lounge, gesturing Monet toward it.

<Monet> "Let me at least buy a few days worth of meals, then." She perched on the edge of the sofa and sipped at her glass. "Of course she's self-conscious. She's a woman. No woman in their right mind would not be in this situation."

<Shaw> "Indeed." He settled back in the sofa and stared at his glass, debating warning Monet off of any catty comments, but so far the woman had been amazingly polite. Finally, he inclined his head to accept her offer. "She hasn't felt like cooking, and I remain hopeless, so it is appreciated."

<Monet> "Bien. Give me a list of some of your favorite restaurants and meals and I will arrange to have them delivered at the appropriate times." She turned towards him more and arched an eyebrow, "Now, I cannot leave here without at least mocking you once. I hear you cried in a church?"

<Shaw> Sebastian shot her a venomous glare.

<Monet> Monet smirked at him, "Since when do you go to church?"

<Shaw> "I do not, but Miss Guthrie does, quite often apparently." He knocked back the rest of his scotch. "You do realize I was raised Catholic."

<Monet> "Oui, but I did not know you were still practicing as such currently." She took another sip. "At least in a church, no one will laugh at your tears. Merely swarm you with invading your personal space."

<Shaw> "I care little for others' opinions at the moment, Monet. Even less so than usual." He kept his tone carefully even and his eyes on his glass.

<Monet> Monet smirked at him, "You know that I had to say something. I'm not going to poke fun at you for crying, but crying in a church? That's so completely opposite for you."

<Shaw> Sebastian still had not looked up from the glass, turning it slowly in his hands and watching the light reflect. "Was it not you who said I would be with her again, some day?"

<Monet> "Oui. And you will be. But it is so unlike you to believe in anything regarding faith and God."

<Shaw> "I don't know that I do, but it's something, at least," he said quietly. "Paige suggested we name the child Faith, and I told her I had none."

<Monet> "My point exactly, Sebastian." She reached out and put her hand on his knee, "I meant no offense, cher. It was just amusing to me when I found out."

<Shaw> His eyes tracked to the hand. "I am uncertain how any rational individuals can have such faith, especially when those such as you and I are perhaps more positioned than many to see through the fallacies of belief in a higher power. Often, we are the higher power."

<Monet> "People believe in the higher power because if they did not have said faith, most of them would likely have killed themselves before now. It is an integral part of society as we know it. They have to believe that someone who is better than them has control over their lives when they don't."

<Shaw> "It was mostly a rhetorical statement, but yes, and if this is the control of a better, higher power, I want nothing to do with it." He sighed.

<Monet> "Do not look at the death of your daughter as the only thing that came out of this. Jessica also saved a child's life. That is a very important thing as well."

<Shaw> "I've told her as much." He looked upward toward the cupola, where he could feel her lurking.

<Monet> "But have you told yourself?"

<Shaw> Finally, he glanced at her, eyebrow arched in question.

<Monet> "Do not give me that look. If you do not believe what you are saying to Jessica, how is she supposed to believe it?"

<Shaw> That made his brows draw back down in thought. "It was the right thing to do - she could not just stand by and watch the child die."

<Monet> "It was the right thing to do, I never doubted you believing that. However, do you believe that it was worth the consequence? That if Jessica had known if it was either your unborn child, or the living child, that she should have made the same choice?”

<Shaw> He sighed and simply got up, moving across to the railing and staring down into their master bedroom.

<Monet> Monet watched him silently for a few moments as she sipped at her glass. "At least be comforted by the fact that your child did not endure any pain."

<Shaw> Hands braced on the railing, his head dropped forward as he closed his eyes.

<Monet> She set her glass on the side table and stood up to walk over to him. Monet set her hand on his shoulder and just stood there with him in silence. Trying to just be a friend for once.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: 1/13 Instance: Sincères Condoléances

Post by steyn »

So well done.