7/23 Instance: Get Out More

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

7/23 Instance: Get Out More

Post by Slarti »

Current timeline

<Shaw> Sebastian stared at the security monitor, then sighed and authorized her entry. If he didn't he was sure she'd pout.

<Paige> Paige bounced her way from the door to the living room, food in her arms. "Coooooooookie! I brought your namesake!"

<Shaw> "Thank you, my dear." He met her halfway and took some of her burden, not even the slightest bit tempted by the smell of food.

<Paige> "Sooooo I hope you like thumb print cookies. That's what I made this time."

<Shaw> "Of course," he said, having no idea what that was. Sebastian went to the kitchen, easing the plate onto the counter. He couldn't stop his eyes from wandering to the small unpatched holes near the ceiling.

<Paige> Paige instinctively looked where his eyes went, waiting a moment before she questioned him. "What are we looking at?"

<Shaw> His eyes widened and then met hers. Berating himself for his inability to hide his actions, he cleared his throat. "My apartment was bugged," he explained, as if it were perfectly normal.

<Shaw> Opening a cabinet, he took out a glass with a clink. "Would you like a drink?"

<Paige> "Sure! Do you have any milk... waaaait your place was bugged?! Who bugged it!?" Paige gave him a horrified look.

<Shaw> "She goes by the name of Viper, and she kidnapped Jessica." The even tone was still holding and he fetched another glass, unsure if he had any milk. Well, any that wasn't cottage cheese by now.

<Paige> "That's horrible! Do we know where she is yet?"

<Shaw> "No." He closed his eyes as he checked the refrigerator, which was rather unproductive. Right. There was no milk. "I could make you some tea?" he tried.

<Paige> "Tea works. I'm so sorry, Sebastian... can I do anything to help?" Paige took a seat, giving him a sad look.

<Shaw> "No," he said, voice harsh. Tea, of course, which meant touching the kettle, which he hadn't done since... Sighing to himself, he filled it and put it on the stove as quickly as humanly possible.

<Shaw> "Thank you," he amended, attempting to soften his tone.

<Paige> "So... are you sure you got all the bugs out?" Paige gave the apartment a wary glance.

<Shaw> "Considering the trouble and expense required to sweep it and upgrade the security, they'd damned well better be out." Sebastian slammed the cabinet door as he searched for the tea.

<Paige> Paige couldn't help but let out a slight whimper and jump as the cabinet slammed.

<Shaw> He shot her a look and resumed fetching what he needed for the tea.

<Paige> "Sebastian..." Paige spoke softly, crossing the kitchen and putting herself in his path.

<Shaw> As this move somewhat impressed him with her bravery, he drew in a breath and straightened up to look down at her.

<Paige> Paige wrapped her arms around him and just hugged him.

<Shaw> Though he supposed he should have expected this, Sebastian froze in place.

<Paige> She simply stood there, holding onto him and trying to offer him all the comfort and support she could.

<Shaw> "I'm likely not the best of company at the moment," he attempted.

<Paige> "I'm not here for me," she pointed out, not letting go of him.

<Shaw> "No, I suppose not." After another moment, he relented and slid his arms around her. "You and your unyielding compassion."

<Paige> Smiling, Paige glanced up at him. "That's what I'm here for."

<Shaw> "Thank you for the effort," he said with a slight smile.

<Paige> "That's what friends are for, Sebastian. You need more friends." She poked him gently.

<Shaw> "I haven't gotten to where I am today by making friends." He pried her off to get the tea kettle, then paused, turning to look at her. After a moment, he spoke. "I'm afraid I neglected to ask if you actually wanted hot tea... it's... become rather second nature, I suppose... with Jessica."

<Paige> She shook her head a little. "It will be fine. I can stick some ice cubes in it if I have to." She shook off the memory of her and Eve bonding over their love for iced tea and moved to sit on the counter.

<Shaw> "Actually, I don't care for English tea myself." He supposed he didn't need to explain any further. Finding a pitcher instead, he decided to make iced tea for her.

<Paige> Paige wanted to offer him words of encouragement and hope, but it seemed like they would feel empty to him. "When is the last time you got out of the apartment?"

<Shaw> He just stared at her blankly as he'd only been to the office, the school, and the club in the last week and he was fairly sure that was not what she meant.

<Paige> "So maybe some fresh air would do you some good? Maybe a walk in the park with me?"

<Shaw> "I'm afraid the last time I got out of the apartment I assaulted someone at the club," he said with a crooked smile.

<Paige> "Well we won't be going to the club!" Paige smiled at him.

<Shaw> Sebastian shook his head with a soft huff. "You won't give up, will you?"

<Paige> "Have you known me to give up? I mean, I date Rachel..."

<Shaw> "That alone should put you on the papal list for canonization," he chuckled. "All right, do you have any place in particular in mind?"

<Paige> "Oh oh! Yes! How close is Central Park!? They have pretzels in the park!"

<Shaw> "It's uptown a tad... I wouldn't attempt the walk. We could drive if you'd like to visit the park." He looked out the window toward the river. "The Chelsea parks are nearby, or the river greenway."

<Paige> "Ooooo river! We can walk down by the river?" Paige couldn't help but bounce just slightly.

<Shaw> "If you don't mind looking at New Jersey, or the docks." Sebastian put the pitcher of tea into the fridge to chill while they were gone.

<Paige> "I don't mind at all. I just like to watch the water." Paige went for her pink coat to put it on.

<Shaw> The air was crisp down by the water, and he hadn't bothered with a jacket. Ignoring his own discomfort, he tried instead to focus on the non-stop stream of words coming from the small blonde on his arm.

<Paige> "So then we decided to dye all of our hair pink. Maybe you should dye yours pink! Oh don't give me that look. It's fun!" She giggled as she walked on his arm, not even looking to see if he gave her a look or not. Her gaze was out at the water, glad she had her pink coat on.

<Shaw> "...I'm not entirely certain pink is my color," he responded belatedly.

<Paige> "That's what they all say until their hair is bright pink."

<Shaw> That did make him pause to give her a look.

<Paige> "True story."

<Shaw> "I'll rephrase - pink is not my color," he said, baring teeth at her in what might have been a smile.

<Paige> "So cute when you think you're being clever!"

<Shaw> Sebastian just shook his head and kept walking for a few steps, then licked his lips. "My, I believe you're the only person in this world that would equate me with cute."

<Paige> "Probably... but that's okay! I'm the only person who wants to dye your hair pink, too."

<Shaw> "Those... are most likely the truest words ever spoken," he chuckled, looking down at his feet as they walked.

<Paige> Paige giggled at him, then fell into silence again as they walked, not sure what she should say to him.

<Shaw> Sebastian certainly didn't know what to say to her either, so they were in agreement there. For a time, he looked out over the water and to the path ahead of them, lost in his own thoughts.

<Paige> "Thanks, for coming out with me... I know it isn't what you wanted to do."

<Shaw> "Thank you for your visit," he said, glancing down at her with a slightly strained smile. He supposed he could try. "You're likely correct I should get out instead of... dwelling."

<Paige> "Dwelling on it makes it worse, if that's possible."

<Shaw> "Yes." He licked his lips and they walked on for a bit longer before he continued. "It's rather a lot to dwell on as well."

<Paige> "You'll find her... we always find them." Paige sighed a little as she kept his arm, glancing up at him. "We'll find her."

<Shaw> "However, sometimes, you find them dead, or damaged beyond repair." He'd told Hope much the same, and it was true, but something else had been bothering him. "Or if she doesn't wish to be found..."

<Paige> "Why wouldn't she? She has you to come back to." Paige didn't dare comment on the first part. It wasn't always that way... just a few freak accidents.

<Shaw> He looked out over the water, squinting at a ship at a distant dock. She did, but was that what she wanted?

<Paige> Paige looked up at him, trying to guess what he was thinking. "She would have said goodbye... if she had wanted to stay. She would have told you goodbye."

<Shaw> That was a confusing theory, and he looked back down at her in bewilderment.

<Paige> "I asked why she wouldn't come back when she has you... you said nothing... so...."

<Shaw> "I'm not sure she would say goodbye," he admitted, forgetting to walk when he realized what she meant. "She has... she doesn't... I don't know. Perhaps if she had an alternative to this life, she would have taken it."

<Paige> Then why was he trying to find her? Paige just gave him such a lost, confused look. But she was too chicken to voice that. She just walked with him instead.

<Shaw> He started to walk again, more slowly. "Sarkissian - Viper - she told me Jessica was now with family and chose to stay. It's not something I truly believe. The woman is a lunatic. But the mind... plays tricks, I suppose."

<Shaw> Why was he telling her this? But now that he'd started, he didn't seem inclined to stop.

<Paige> "And you don't think she'd want to tell you that herself if she did? You've been locked up in that apartment for far too long." Paige moved just a bit closer from the chill of the wind.

<Shaw> "The mind knows this, but my... Well, I wonder if she only stayed with me out of a sense of obligation instead of actual feeling." Now that he'd said it, he scrubbed his hand over his face, squeezing his eyes closed.

<Paige> "If you really thought that... you wouldn't be looking for her. You're just scared. And need to get out more."

<Shaw> "It wouldn't be the first time," he muttered, hand still over his mouth, but dropping it to look at her with a tired smile. "Perhaps."

<Paige> Paige pulled her arm free to wrap it around him, unable to offer any more words.