7/17 Instance: Choking the Snake

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

7/17 Instance: Choking the Snake

Post by Slarti »

Timelined a few days after 21 Grams

<Fabian> "This still counts as coming up for air, right?" Fabian asked, getting the door for Cee and wondering just what drink he should down first to get the evening started. He was on a mission and that mission started and ended with a strong variety of drinks in alarming amounts.

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled and thanked him for the manners as usual. "I dunno why it shouldn't. There's booze here - isn't there?" she laughed, slipping her arm into his. "Besides, I like coming here with you. I don't get to dress up that often and it's fun to talk shit about people behind their back."

<Fabian> "All kinds of booze." Fabian lead her a bit quickly towards the bar and slid up to it, too busy ordering to properly take in his surroundings.

<Cecilia> Cecilia took her drink with a bit of a frown. "You feeling alright?" she asked, a little concerned at the rush to get to the alcohol.

<Fabian> "I'm fine," Fabian assured her. "It's just been a long time coming."

<Cecilia> "Mm, I know the feeling," she admitted, smiling and raising her glass to his. "In that case, cheers, mi amor."

<Shaw> His private office had lost most of its appeal, as the club's head of staff had found him there to inform him of yet another niggling detail that supposedly needed his attention. After reminding the sot that was what he was paid to handle, Sebastian decided that he should put in an appearance in the main room anyway.

<Shaw> And an appearance it was, as he straightened his tie and narrowly avoided slamming into the door jamb.

<Fabian> "Cheers!" Fabian raised and clinked his glass with hers, just in time to get around to taking in the sights and seeing one hell of one. "Well, I think we both managed to scrape ourselves together a bit more convincingly. Is it inappropriate to buy professors drinks in the states?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia turned around slightly to get a look at the person Fabian was referring to, then turned back around promptly. "Oh, Jesus." She polished off her glass, slamming it back on the bar and motioning for another. "I dunno, I don't think so, but frankly I don't care so long as it keeps him pleasant enough and stops him from getting snippy with me."

<Shaw> Sebastian had yet to notice them as he'd instead noticed he was far less sober than he'd like. The lack of sleep and that second scotch had conspired against him, it seemed. Waving away the bartender, he attempted a casual lean on the bar to survey the floor. This was hardly the time or place to show weakness and it was too late to go back to his office now.

<Fabian> "Well, I suppose I would be snippy as well. Sometimes you just have to accept people will be sometimes. Right now, though, I don't think he looks up for his high level of snip." Fabian pointed out, finding it actually a little sad. "Shall we?"

<Cecilia> "He better not be or I'll be pissed," Cecilia said, frowning. She looked over at the depressing mess that was left of Sebastian. It was...disappointing, really. "Christ...yeah, I suppose it'd be rude not to say 'hi.'" Reluctantly, she took her refilled glass and followed Fabian.

<Fabian> Fabian decided to bypass more formal greetings. "What pulled you from your office? I hope not anything interesting. I don't think I want interesting tonight."

<Shaw> He sucked in a breath and pulled himself up straighter at the sudden appearance of Cortez and Cecilia. "Ah, good evening," he said, managing to keep his tone even. He may have over-enunciated a tad. "Nothing terribly interesting, no, or at least nothing new. I do hope you're enjoying a break, though?"

<Cecilia> "Oh, I will be soon enough - don't you worry," Cecilia said, tapping the side of her glass with one of her nails. "Nice to see you, Sebastian."

<Viper> Viper watched from her corner booth, sipping her wine and lounging in her seat. She was content to go unnoticed for the time being and just observe the fall.

<Shaw> "Cecilia, it's a pleasure," he said, inclining his head but forgoing his usual move of kissing her hand. He wasn't up to it, and likely she'd try to smack him. "I'm happy we can be of service for some stress relief."

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled nicely enough. "Well, Christ knows we all need it at a time like this," she said simply.

<Fabian> Yes, another round of drinks was needed. "Has there been any word now that we're probably all in agreement that the distress call was a fraud?"

<Viper> It certainly was a fraud. Viper smirked as she took another sip, raising her hand to signal one of the waiters that she'd like another. Soon.

<Shaw> "Of course it was," he said with a sigh and decided to sit, gesturing for them to join him. "I've been trying to trace her cell ever since her disappearance, and that I can't accomplish even that simple feat means there's something far larger at work."

<Cecilia> "No doubt it was a lure for one or both of our teams, that's not the part that's in question, it's whether or not the bodies we found are our missing people...we'll have the DNA results in later this week," Cecilia said hesitantly. "I'm really hoping none of 'em match up but...well, I'm preparing for the worst."

<Fabian> "And if that is what whoever wanted I imagine Madripoor isn't even worth searching now as well; it'd be foolish to stay anywhere near, after all." Oh, there was the bottom of his glass. That was an unwelcome sight.

<Shaw> "Cassandra doesn't think it's them - or, at least she doesn't believe her uncle is among the dead." He didn't elaborate, instead restlessly looking at the patrons in the club to search out and mark faces.

<Cecilia> "...I'd wait for the DNA results," Cecilia replied, her tone not encouraging any further debate on the subject. "Cass isn't exactly unbiased in all this." Then again, neither was she - she'd thought of Mel as a friend. "The tests will give us all some piece of mind, at the very least."

<Fabian> "Well, creepy dead radar could be pretty helpful there. There's certainly no kind of argument against it. The tests will either prove or deny. On that front we just have to wait." Oh yay, there was a new glass with which to find the bottom.

<Cecilia> "Thank Christ for modern miracles," Cecilia said, slipping her arm around her boyfriend and nursing her own drink. "So...how're your classes going?" she asked Sebastian. She hadn't been sitting in as often as she did before.

<Shaw> The idea of creepy dead radar did make him smile briefly, but he looked away at their show of affection. "They're going." His eyes caught flash of green and focused.

<Viper> It seemed she'd been spotted. She raised her glass to Sebastian in a silent toast.

<Shaw> Curious, he inclined his head toward her in greeting.

<Fabian> Fabian, not interested at all in how classes were going, followed Sebastian's gaze instead. "That's a face I don't recall."

<Shaw> "That's Viper," he said, working out if he was desperate enough for leads to go to see her.

<Viper> Viper smirked a little and gestured to the vacant seating in her booth, inviting him and, she supposed, his guests to join her.

<Cecilia> Cecilia did a slight double take. "Huh, another person with green hair...so who do you think's stealing whose look? Lorna or Viper?" she asked, trying hard not to smirk. Viper... that sounded like a name a middle-aged biker would have.

<Fabian> "Well, it seems she wants to see you." Fabian glanced back to Shaw, trying to judge his reaction to the presence and the invitation.

<Shaw> He raised an eyebrow, decision now made by her smirk. He tilted his head back with a slight jerk that made it swim in invitation for her to come to him.

<Viper> Viper frowned a little. She didn't really want to get up. With a small roll of her eyes, she uncrossed her legs and straightened up, stiletto-heeled boots clicking on the floor as she crossed to them.

<Shaw> Well, at least that had worked. He gave Fabian and Cecilia a glance. "She's... unique," he warned.

<Cecilia> Cecilia shoved down her amusement as the woman approached. "With a name like Viper I'll just bet," she said, the corners of her mouth quirking up a little despite herself.

<Fabian> "I can deal with unique." Fabian shrugged. Though if she was too unique he might want to slow down on his drinks. Damn, practical sobriety stopped so much.

<Viper> "Good evening, Sebastian." Viper offered him one of her practiced smiles, eyes wandering over the two he was with. She, of course, knew who they were but she would feign ignorance.

<Shaw> "And a good evening to you," he said, and managed to stand to take her hand. Sebastian kissed it, pleased that the room didn't seem to tilt quite as much as it had. "I trust you've enjoyed your stay in New York? You certainly must be keeping busy, as you never took the time to return my call."

<Cecilia> It hadn't slipped Cecilia's notice that she'd not received the smarmy hand kiss and she was less than thrilled, but most of the annoyance was overridden by amazement that Sebastian was able to actually stay on his feet for that little display.

<Viper> "Oh yes, I have been extremely busy. So many projects, so little time. I'm sure you understand." She offered another smile. "As a matter of fact, I have been out of the city until fairly recently. I had some other duties to take care of that required me to be present."

<Cecilia> Now that was one of the more false smiles she'd seen in her day, Cecilia thought. Obviously someone wasn't too broken up over the fact that they'd forgotten to call. "Got quite the set-up overseas then, miss...?" She trailed off, giving the woman a chance to fill in the blank.

<Viper> "Viper." She filled in, "And, yes, I do. Globally, in fact."

<Cecilia> "Cecilia Reyes," she replied, inclining her head politely. "Nice to meet you."

<Shaw> Sebastian watched the green-haired woman once he'd resumed his seat, irritated she'd dismissed him so easily. "I made the call on behalf of Jessica Drew," he said, drumming his fingers on the bar slightly.

<Fabian> Oh, Fabian could feel the level of awkwardness rise. "Ahh, you know Jess then?" He waved down the bartender to add another round to their drinks. Why not?

<Viper> "Oh I know you did," She waved it off, "Really, Sebastian, it is quite ridiculous to think that I would go through you if I wished to return that call when I could simply contact her directly."

<Cecilia> Well...this wasn't exactly what she'd been hoping for in a night out. "Apparently so," Cecilia muttered to Fabian when it seemed they were both just going to be ignored and caught in the middle of an argument of sorts between Sebastian and Viper.

<Shaw> He cocked his head. "Then why didn't you?"

<Fabian> Fabian caught Cecilia's glance and raised his glass just a bit. This could be interesting and he'd toast to it.

<Viper> Viper raised an eyebrow, "Why do you assume I did not?"

<Shaw> "Well, because she never mentioned...it." Sebastian narrowed his eyes.

<Cecilia> Cecilia smiled back and raised her own in return. She wondered just how much shit they'd say in front of them before they both realized Fabian and her were still there and whether or not this would reach the levels of angry that martial squabbles in the line to McDonald's in the Bronx had. She hoped so.

<Viper> Viper cocked her head on one side as she surveyed Sebastian, "I suppose you've been quite bored without her, hmm?"

<Fabian> This was both suspicious and also making Fabian wonder if they were witnessing some weird tease at a torrid affair while being suspicious. It was true, the Hellfire Club was the wealthy's live action soap operas.

<Shaw> The hand on the bar clenched into a fist. "I will find her," he said quietly.

<Viper> Viper laughed a little, "Oh of course you will..." She couldn't sound more patronising if she tried.

<Shaw> "As I'm well aware you like to keep your fingers in many, many pies, I was considering giving you another opportunity." Sebastian had forgotten there were witnesses to this drama, as he was now intent on Viper and leaned toward her, voice low as he tried to read her. The woman was disturbingly blank.

<Cecilia> Cecilia leaned over to Fabian. "Si vam vendre aquesta merda a una telenovel · la que podríem fer una fortuna. No es pot fer aquesta merda!" she whispered, quite interested in this herself though it was pretty damn suspicious considering the things that were going on in the school right now.

<Cecilia> ((Catalan: If we sold this shit to a telenovela we could make a fortune. You can't make this shit up!))

<Viper> "I find it amusing that you would come to me, of all people. Your own people not up to the challenge, Sebastian? After they've been working so very hard to track down the origins of Jessica's perfume."

<Shaw> He heard Cecilia's voice, but only listened to Viper. "You," he snarled, everything coming together.

<Fabian> Fabian just gave Cecilia a bit of a nod as he took another drink. This was quite the dance in front of them indeed and he also couldn't wait to see what it was Shaw would have to say after Viper here slipped away. There was just too much being said for there not to be a mountain of things going unsaid.

<Viper> Viper raised her glass to him, taking another casual sip. "But, of course. Really I am surprised it took you so long." She smirked.

<Cecilia> Cecilia polished off her glass and made no move to have another, feeling she should be alert consider what was going on. "...Sebastian?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. What the ever-loving fuck?

<Shaw> Sebastian sneered, still just a little too slow in processing the situation. That was a problem easily remedied, however. Moving fast enough to knock over the bar stool, he slammed the heel of his hand into her sternum to send her into the bar and caught her by the throat, fingers digging into her windpipe.

<Shaw> Her drink fell, shattering and spilling and he roared, bearing down on her with a vicious headbutt.

<Cecilia> "Jesus fucking Christ!" Cecilia hissed, throwing herself onto one of her professor's arms, trying to peel his fingers off of Viper's neck. "Sebastian! What the hell're you doing?!"

<Viper> Viper's smirk dropped only briefly at the sudden attack, and that was more to do with the fact he had cost her a rather nice glass of wine. Instead, she laughed at his attempts to injure her and Cecilia's attempts to come to her rescue. "I assure you, you won't find her if you kill me, Sebastian."

<Fabian> Fabian was a lot less willing to start pulling any arms off. He had heard enough of what was being said, after all, and had more than guessed this Viper clearly deserved a good tossing...but this was not the place to do it. "You've got an audience here." He glanced out to see all of the attention this was undoubtedly gathering.

<Shaw> All Sebastian's attention was on Viper, who barely even sounded strained despite his attempts to cut off her air. "If you've hurt her-" He cut off, not liking the way his voice cracked, so he turned it to another snarl and shook Cecilia off like an overlarge dog.

<Viper> "Of course I haven't. What possible purpose would that serve?" She glanced down at the arm extending to her throat, "Are you going to let me go or are you waiting for me to retaliate?"

<Cecilia> Cecilia grit her teeth as she was easily brushed aside and shoved back, nearly losing her balance and hitting the floor. Tossed aside like a piece of garbage. She was so furious she couldn't move her mouth to form a working sentence (amazingly) and she was actually shaking, her fists clenched so tightly her knuckles were turning white.

<Fabian> "It's not about us, Cee." Fabian could see that anger building up and, quite frankly, they all ready were part of the scene enough as it was. He'd much rather people didn't remember they had been there when the recounted this little scene to people who had missed it. More importantly he was pretty sure there had been more than enough half-statements to fill in quite the amount of interesting information.

<Fabian> So the best course was just to let them fight on. If Shaw wasn't in any condition to reel himself in that was his own doing.

<Shaw> "I'm not doing anything - you are going to tell me where she is!" Sleepless nights or not, he had enough energy to rip out her throat.

<Shaw> "The others, the jet - those creatures... this is all you." Security had now surrounded them, but has this was his place they only watched and kept other patrons back. She was right he couldn't kill her - yet - but he tapped into his lesser-used talent and focused a telepathic attack.

<Cecilia> "Després que? Es pot morir en un incendi per tot el que m'importa ara," Cecilia grit out, turning away and stalking off to Fabian's side. "I was trying to save her some strangulation and him some humiliation but if that's the thanks I get I'd sooner leave them both to rot."

<Cecilia> ((Catalan: After that? He can die in a fire for all I care.))

<Viper> Viper laughed, "Oh Sebastian, where is the incentive to tell you that? And there is no use trying that way." She raised an eyebrow at him. "You think I didn't anticipate such a thing? Jessica is perfectly fine and healthy and is choosing to stay with me of her own volition. She is happy."

<Shaw> Sebastian encountered her mental shielding with an animal noise of rage. Very well, he could do this the messier way. Tightening his hold on her throat, he squeezed. "Happy? After you took her from her home?"

<Viper> Making a small movement with one of her hands, Viper disappeared from his grasp and reappeared a short distance away, tutting and wagging a finger at him. "Now, now, Sebastian. How do you expect me to answer you when you cut off my air?" She folded her arms and fixed him with a disappointed expression.

<Fabian> Fabian inclined his head to her. "The man's completely out of sorts. We can give him some leeway...and also see how this plays out." It wasn't the fun he wanted to have but who knew a night out drinking could be productive towards school business?

<Cecilia> "Then he can join the club, we got jackets." She didn't really care what his problem was, she was pissed at being pushed. She settled back to watch the show. "Wanna bet on who wins? I got my money on green-hair."

<Shaw> Viper's sudden disappearance overbalanced Sebastian, who crashed into the bar, though this only fueled his anger. He spun around to face her, but stayed back to glare and bide his time.

<Viper> "She is happy. She is with family. It is where she should be. She was a little confused at first but, after I explained things, she has settled in quite nicely." Viper relaxed her stance again as she surveyed him.

<Shaw> "What family? She has none!" He was shaking with suppressed energy and with staving off the urge to attack. The bar was clearing out to a degree now, though many were watching. He became aware he had an audience, including two from the school, but didn't care.

<Shaw> Stepping away from the bar, he started toward her, circling and looking for a weakness... or that teleportation device.

<Viper> "She has family. Your research made too many assumptions." Her eyes followed his movements. "Are you going to try to attack me again, Sebastian?"

<Fabian> "Oh, this'll end in a dramatic standoff then exit. I'll bet you on that one."

<Shaw> "Wouldn't you?" Assumptions? However he knew he wasn't getting any straight answers from her. "Rest assured I'll not give up."

<Cecilia> Cecilia crossed her arms. "Mm, this had better be worth hearing."

<Viper> "I would be sensible enough to know when I am beaten." Viper countered, "And you can continue to waste your time looking for her... but it will do you no good."

<Shaw> "Perseverance overcomes most things, my dear, one would think you'd have learned that as clearly you've waited long enough before showing your true colors, so to speak."

<Viper> "My true colours?" She laughed, "My true motives have always been the same. Have I not been looking out for her all this time? You make it sound like I am doing terrible things to her but you are very wrong. As I told you, she is staying with me by her own choice."

<Fabian> "In any case I'd say we've got more than enough reason to research, wouldn't you say?" Fabian mumbled, sipping at his drink again.

<Cecilia> "On the jet crash victims front - definitely," Cecilia said, muttering back. "Sounds like my gut feeling was right though about Jess not being exactly missing."

<Shaw> What she was actually saying was eroding through his confidence and he shook his head. "She would not... and the others... they certainly are not willing guests."

<Viper> "Others? I am afraid I don't know what you're talking about." Her eyebrows went up. She was quite good at playing at innocence by now. She'd had far too much practice on that front.

<Shaw> He was through with this, and snarled again, lunging toward her. Preparing for a punch - or for her to vanish - he wasn't expecting to crash into something that stopped him in his tracks. His fist rebounded off the invisible field, fueling his power and the unseeing rage. He tried again, and again, beyond reason.

<Viper> Viper laughed again, "Oh Sebastian, you are precious! Now stop that before you hurt yourself!" She vanished when he was mid-swing, reappearing behind him.

<Cecilia> Cecilia watched these little tricks, not particularly surprised the woman was superhuman with the green hair and all, but a little amazed how easily it was to rile Sebastian. "She toying with you, Sebastian, don't bother with her. If she is responsible for what happened to our people we'll find out soon enough and she'll be dealt with." Of this she was very certain.

<Shaw> Of course he overbalanced as was her intent, breaking his fall by staggering into a security guard and his chief of staff, who had now joined the crowd.

<Viper> Viper just laughed some more. "'Dealt with'? Oh my, you people are just adorable! I would be thrilled to see you try!" She shook her head, chuckling softly, "But, for now, I think I will leave you before Sebastian embarrasses himself further." She blew them a kiss, waved, and teleported away again. This time, she didn't reappear anywhere in the room.

<Cecilia> "I've fried bigger fish," Cecilia muttered at her back at she retreated.

<Fabian> Fabian ignored the obnoxious sign off and instead leaned towards Sebastian. "Shall we leave you to your own devices then?"

<Shaw> He gave Cortez a feral snarl in answer. Shrugging off his own staff, he straightened and jerked his jacket back into place, then stalked off toward his office.

<Cecilia> "I guess we'll take that as a 'yes,' then?" Cecilia said to Fabian, raising an eyebrow. Asshole.

<Fabian> "I cannot wait to hear about him teaching hung over from this. Shall we head out then?"

<Cecilia> "Yeah, I think we're done here."