1/29 Instance: Baby Steps

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
tears~fall~like~glass
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Timelord
Nightscrawlearth Character: :x23 :rachel

1/29 Instance: Baby Steps

Post by tears~fall~like~glass »

timeline: current

Rachel: As she took a sip from her glass, Rachel briefly glanced across the table to Paige and slid her phone from her pocket with her free hand, checking it. Nope, nothing. She hadn't decided whether that was a good or a bad thing yet, instead setting her glass back down and seizing the opportunity to take a picture of Paige while she wasn't looking.

Paige: Paige glanced up, smiling at Rachel. "I'm glad you talked me into dinner out. This place is nice."

Rachel: Rachel attempted to act like she hadn't just been taking a picture and shoved the phone back into her pocket, returning the smile with a bit of a shrug, "Nice to get out of the school every once in a while."

Paige: "It really is. Especially when you work and live there. It gets tiresome." She reached for a breadstick, still smiling at Rachel.

Rachel: "At least you don't need permission to leave," she pulled a face.

Paige: "You don't if you are with me.... do you?"

Rachel: "Technically, yeah, I do..." Rachel gave a shrug, reaching for her glass again, "I can generally just get away with telling Bobby where I'm at though."

Paige: Paige pouted a bit. "That's horrid."

Rachel: "It's better than any alternatives, so I try not to complain too much."

Paige: "I can complain though... I think. At least to us." Paige took a bite of her breadstick.

Rachel: Rachel checked her phone again before reaching for a breadstick herself, pulling a piece off, "Well, yeah... You can pretty much do whatever you want."

Paige: "Pretty much. I do with you at least." She blushed at her admission.

Rachel: She set the breadstick down on a plate, grinning at the blush as she reached for her glass again, "Not a bad thing."

Paige: "I think it's a mutual feeling anyway." Paige took a sip of her water with a smile.

Rachel: "Besides drinking and having my tongue pierced, yep."

Paige: "I'm soooorrrrryyyyy, it feels weird!"

Rachel: Rachel laughed, "I'll survive without it."

Paige: "You can have it... I just... don't... are you sure?" Paige was a bright red, embarrassed.

Rachel: "I'm sure," she answered, pulling another bit of breadstick off. "I like kissing you far more than having it. Plus, I still have my nose ring, so not all is lost."

Paige: "It looks cute on you." Paige gently touched Rachel's foot with her own under the table.

Rachel: "That's... probably the first time I've heard that," Rachel replied as she leaned back in her seat, stretching her legs to rest one against Paige's as she checked her phone again. She was starting to think it was a good thing she hadn't heard anything back yet.

Paige: Paige relaxed at the contact. "I should tell you more often. You look cute with the blonde hair too."

Rachel: "You'd say that no matter what color my hair is," she pointed out with a grin, inwardly cursing as her pocket began to vibrate. Of course, as soon as she thought it was a good thing... Pulling the phone from her pocket, Rachel stared at the screen, shooting Paige an apologetic look as she answered, "Hey, I can't talk... No, I know I called earlier. No, I'm fine... Yeah, I swear."

Rachel: "I'm just at dinner. ...No, with my..." she pulled her gaze from her lap to Paige, finishing lamely, "...friend." Yep, totally unbelievable, so she continued before anything else could be said on that subject, "Anyway, I promise we can actually talk tomorrow... Yeah, I know I always say that. Bye."

Paige: Those words shouldn't hurt as much as they did. Paige bit her lip while Rachel was distracted, quickly getting her emotions back under control in time for a soft smile to Rachel as she hung up the phone. "Everything alright?"

Rachel: Rachel raked her fingers through her hair after stuffing the phone back into her pocket, reaching to pick at the breadstick a bit as she answered, "Sorry, yeah, it's fine. Just my mom. Pretty much, um... everyone said I should speak to her again after everything..." she managed a grin that was a bit less forced, "Which is why Christmas at Vito's happened."

Paige: Reaching across the table, Paige put her hand over Rachel's. "Are you ok, Rachie?"

Rachel: "Yeah, I'm fine." As fine as she always was, anyway. Rachel laced her fingers with Paige's as she questioned, "Do you talk to your family?"

Paige: That caused a bit of a blush for Paige. "Some... My mom has been a lot better since..." Since she knocked her ex-husband in the head and left. "I usually call my dad on my way home from Mass on Sunday." Telling them about Rachel however... well that was different. She felt guilty for being upset that Rachel hadn't told her family.

Rachel: Rachel considered that for a few moments, eventually deciding it wouldn't kill her to talk about her family a little. "Things between my mom and I are... tense. Even before I was a terrorist. Except I didn't have to deal with it because we didn't talk," she shrugged, "My dad and I are fine, but I'm bad about calling."

Paige: "I understand that. My mom and I never really got along either. Would you like me to remind you to call your dad more often?" Paige's thumb gently rubbed Rachel's hand as she talked.

Rachel: "You can remind me, but that doesn't mean I'll do it," Rachel answered. It was honest enough. "He works. I don't like interrupting him, even if he says it's fine, because it's not like I have that much going on to talk about... Well, except you..."

Paige: Paige's face flushed at that. She gave Rachel's hand a squeeze. "That's not true... you have a new tattoo... and are making new friends... and working on your art and music..."

Rachel: "Pfft," Rachel rolled her eyes. She was always doing one of those. That wasn't news. She squeezed Paige's hand back as she admitted, "Nothing with Josh went over very well, so I don't know how this would go over..."

Paige: She looked down at their hands. "I understand that very well also," she spoke softly. "How do you tell your very Catholic family that you're seeing a girl?"

Rachel: She slowly shook her head, "I have no idea other than just telling them whenever you feel like it."

Paige: "That is scarier than telling Bobby or anyone else."

Rachel: "Well, we didn't really tell Bobby," Rachel made a face, "So, it has to be better than that."

Paige: "I'm not so sure about that one. They were furious about a black man after all."

Rachel: "Yeah, I can't say my parents were all that thrilled about gold..." Rachel bit down on her lip, giving a small shrug, "I just kinda figured I wouldn't tell them until I had to..."

Paige: "Sounds like an excellent plan to me." Paige squeezed her hand again with a smile.

Rachel: She gave a smile in return, "While it sounds like one, I'm not promising it is one."

Paige: "You know I am here for you... whatever you need."

Rachel: Rachel glanced over at her, "You know it works the other way around too, right?"

Paige: "I do." Paige promised, squeezing her hand. "And you are right about something. I would think you looked great no matter what color your hair was."

Rachel: Rachel wasn't entirely sure she did, but she wasn't going press it. Instead, she smiled and nodded, "Because I look great in general."

Paige: "Naturally!" Paige giggled at her. "And beautiful... and stunning... and lovely..."

Rachel: "You can stop anytime now," she told her with a grin, releasing her hand after another squeeze to go back to her food. After a moment, she looked back up to her, adding, "And you're the best."

Paige: Paige waved her hand dismissively. "I'm just me. Nothing special."

Rachel: "You are," Rachel insisted, "On a superficial level, you have some of the best eyes and look pretty damn amazing all the time. You're far nicer than you should be, you'd go out of your way to help someone, you're smarter than people give you credit for, you have the patience of a fucking saint, and... and you make it really, really hard to be miserable because you're all happy and fun."

Paige: Her face turned a darker shade of red the more Rachel talked. She tucked a bit of hair behind her ear, reluctantly making eye contact. "Didn't think I was all that special. Thank you, Rachel."

Rachel: "Anytime," Rachel shrugged, grinning at the use of her name over the nickname, "Because I could keep going."

Paige: "You don't have to do that." Paige squirmed a bit, taking another bite of her food.

Rachel: "You take compliments about as well as I do."

Paige: "Not used to getting them," Paige admitted softly.

Rachel: "Well, you deserve them far more than I do."

Paige: "You're too hard on yourself. I wish you could see yourself the way that I see you."

Rachel: Rachel sat back in her seat, brow furrowed, "And, how's that?"

Paige: "As someone who is always there for her friends. Someone who would do anything we ever needed. Someone who has been through the worst imaginable, horrible things... and still here, still doing good."

Rachel: Biting down on her lip, she considered that for a few moments, "I can't do much good sitting around all day, but I suppose I'll give you the rest."

Paige: "For now." Paige took a sip of her drink. "But you are teaching next year aren't you?"

Rachel: She sighed, nodding as she reached for her own glass, "Yep."

Paige: "Baby steps." Paige smiled at her.

Rachel: Rachel looked over to her, debating before giving in and just asking, "Can we drink to that?"

Paige: "Glass of wine with our dinner?" Paige offered.

Rachel: Glancing around for their server, Rachel nodded in agreement, "Sounds good."

Paige: "We have a lot to celebrate tonight." Paige rubbed her foot against Rachel's.

Rachel: After catching the server's attention, Rachel decided to spare Paige any comment on that, figuring her smirk would say it all.

Paige: Paige giggled a bit, still playing with Rachel's foot. She sighed a bit, happy to spend yet another night with Rachel. She blushed as she thought of how the last one had ended.

Rachel: Wine was not something she had a tendency to drink, and she just hoped she ordered something decent as the server went to fill their request. Glancing to Paige, she smiled slightly. At least tonight was going just as well as the other date.