11/22 Instance: Worse Than Coal

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

11/22 Instance: Worse Than Coal

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<Fabian> Fabian was glancing into the store fronts, a look of concerned mania on his face as he did so. "I...have no idea what I'm doing." He finally admitted although it was plainly obvious he hadn't the faintest clue.

<Fabian> "Cee, help meee?" He asked imploringly, finally pulling his eyes away from the windows to pout at her.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia have him a look of equal horror. "You're asking me?!" She exclaimed. "I don't think I could normally go into most of these places! I shouldn't have brought my backpack," she noted, feeling stupid all of a sudden. "People are gonna think I'm gonna shoplift. You need to stick by me."

<@Cecilia> She gave him a funny look. "You've never gone Christmas shopping?"

<Fabian> "If people accuse you of shoplifting I reserve full rights to create a scene. That is at least something I can do. We could come out of this owning the store." It was tempting and it did distract Fabian away from his oncoming panic.

<Fabian> "I've shopped for gifts plenty of times but not...like this. I don't even know where to start."

<@Cecilia> "If it does happen you better make a scene or we could easily be pushed around by some fat racist security guard," said Cecilia. "They can smell your fear."

<@Cecilia> She frowned. "Okay, well, let's start at the beginning. Who are you getting the present for? If I have an idea of who you're buying for I can help you out better," she said, attempting to remain calm.

<Fabian> Fabian couldn't help but glance at one of the security guards. "Why on earth would anyone be afraid of him?" The entire notion of not only being afraid of that guard or any in such employment was foreign to him.

<Fabian> "Your family, I've no idea of how to go about this and I feel like I'm going to inadvertently offend them."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia eyed the security guard. "Public humiliation?" She tried.

<@Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. "Don't worry about my family. You don't have to get them anything, you're our guest!" She found the idea of this ridiculous, though now that she thought of it. " Shit . What am I gonna get your parents?!" She looked horrified. She had far more potential to offend them in her eyes, especially since she had a budget and they likely had high standards. "Shit!"

<Fabian> "I can humiliate people much better than him." Of that Fabian was more than sure. "But I'm their guest, exactly, so I should be doubling up on gifts!" What was he ever going to do? "I mean, how do I even go about this? My parents are easy, you get Jacinta some unique little bauble nobody else would have so she can lord it over envious busy-bodies and you get my father booze."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia thought a minute. "I think I can do unique for your mom. But we'll have to go into the Caribbean part of town, there's probably something from my homeland she'd like." Cecilia was looking forward to going there and getting out of this rich white hell.

<@Cecilia> But booze? Didn't they have wine that been aged a bazillion years or something in the cellar? Shit, she couldn't even buy booze without breaking her bank.

<@Cecilia> "Uhhh...well if you're that dead set on it then I'm sure I can help you find something." The only question is what would her family actually want that was appropriate to give? "Don't worry, Fabi." She patted him on the shoulder awkwardly.

<Fabian> Breathe in, breathe out. He didn't need to panic over this. He had a cheat sheet right beside him. "Jacinta would love that. Maybe we can find cigars for my father there as well? That would do well by him." Mmm, cigars, cigars sounded wonderful right now...but no, he wasn't going down that road.

<Fabian> "Okay, we can do this." He assured himself, straightening up again and getting the door for the store for her. "So, is there anyone that would be particularly easy to buy for?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia thought for a moment. "Just get one thing for everyone. Family present, y'know? I just need a minute to think of something," she said. Shit. She was coming up with nothing. "This is hard," she admitted. "It's rare in my family to get more than two presents at Christmas. The whole thing's more of a religious holiday to me because of the Puerto Rican thing."

<@Cecilia> "Did you know I didn't believe in Santa when I was a kid?" She laughed. "My parents thought if I did I'd feel like he didn't like me because I got so few presents. So they never let me believe it. It's kinda funny huh? That they were worried I'd feel rejected by a fable!" She laughed a little.

<Fabian> One gift for everyone? That just felt like a get out of jail easy and free card...plus it was also something he couldn't help but think that they would know Cecilia had told him to do. Cheating, that had to be cheating. But maybe that could be his guest present and then he could buy them each a separate Christmas present?

<Fabian> "Would buying one group gift and then an individual gift be okay?" He looked hopeful to Cecilia, frowning a bit at the idea of her Santa rejection. "If it makes you feel any better, our version of Santa is more of a boogeyman. We stuck with the Three Wise Men...which I suppose would make working that situation even more awkward with your family."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia almost said 'no.' But he was actually flailing . Obviously things had reached a critical point. "Just get individual if your not going to go with a group gift, that's more than enough," she said.

<@Cecilia> She thought long and hard. "My brother might like a Swiss army knife. He mentioned wanting one last time I talked to him. My tia Carmen would probably like some brandy...Vincente's a mechanic and he tinkers a lot with things in the house so maybe a small toolset?"

<@Cecilia> "My mom...I can't think of anything yet. You'll have to get back to me on that."

<Fabian> He knew it, her mother was going to be the hardest to buy something for. Fabian nodded at the suggestions and his mind latched onto brandy. "Brandy, I can handle brandy easiest. To the brandy!" He was a man on a mission and that mission was booze.

<Fabian> Another moment later, however, and he was back to overthinking even brandy. "I can't buy what I'd normally buy though, can I?"

<@Cecilia> "Well, what would you normally buy?" She said. "Anything that's half decent is fine. Carmen's not too picky so long as it tastes decent."

<@Cecilia> "Don't worry so much!" She laughed, taking his arm. "They already like you and my brother will like you when you meet me, I'm sure of it. Don't think this is a test or something!"

<Fabian> He frowned a bit, thinking over that sentiment and pondering how it went against everything he ever went through with gift giving. It was always a test to say exactly what you meant whether that be a thinly veiled insult or actually something good.

<Fabian> Fabian let the frown slip off though, sighing and patting her arm. "So...they like me, hmm?"

<@Cecilia> "Oh yeah," Cecilia laughed. "They'd never let you come back if they didn't. Why did you expect them to be all suspicious of the whiteboy?" She shook her head. "They've said their peace and they've no reason to dislike you. They really did mean it when they said you were part of the family, Fab. Only now it's even more the case since you're my boyfriend." She smiled.

<Fabian> "Not 'the whiteboy', just me." He shrugged, actually relaxing now that he had heard that. Cecilia wasn't going to let him mess this up and he was on a decent start with things as it was. "So...I don't have to worry too much about them being offended if I spend the wrong amount?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia laughed. " Offended ?! They're all pretty laid back, unlike me. They're not going to get mad . They're not the type to throw temper tantrums or scream and shout without a very good reason. They'll be a little surprised...but not offended."

<@Cecilia> "Er...will your parent's think I cheaped out?" She asked, sheepishly. "I'm sorry. I don't have a lot of money. If I break my bank I'll have nothing for my family or you." She frowned.

<Fabian> He shook his head. "Jacinta is only one to think that when she knows it's an intentional slight by one of the families we socialize with. My father isn't going to be happy with anything anyone gets him so as far as I'm concerned? You can shit on a plate and pass it to him."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia facepalmed. "Don't be gross, Fabian," she sighed as they entered the liquor store. "This one she'll like," she said, picking up a cherry brandy. It wasn't too expensive either.

<Fabian> "It's not too cheap?" He asked out of a sake of paranoia. Well, if she was going to like it she was going to get it. "I can't help it, I'm naturally gross...plus you could pass it off as culturally appropriate in Catalonia."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow. "How the hell is that appropriate anywhere?" She nodded. "It's fine , Fabi. You're overthinking this," she said, dragging him to the checkout before he could argue.

<Fabian> "What? It's all about fertility...I should probably explain to you how often you might be singing about shit during our Christmas, shouldn't I?"

<@Cecilia> Cecilia laughed incredulously. "WHAT?!" She laughed, dropping into her home accent. "You're not serious!" She took the brandy after Fabian had paid for it and put it in her backpack. Wrapping it up carefully so it didn't get jostled too much.

<Fabian> "You mean you don't know the Caganer?" Fabian teased, feeling much better now that they had a gift bought as they walked out of that particular store. "I am perfectly serious. This is a stone-cold face of truth-telling seriousness right here."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia raised an eyebrow again. "Noooo, I've never been outside America since I got here. Why would I know?" She went into a hardware store. They could get things for both her uncle and brother here. "Here's a toolkit," she said, picking on up. "It's smaller, which is nice cause tio likes messing around with the television and stuff. There's some Swiss army knives there too," she waved at the clerk, gesturing for him to unlock the display.

<Fabian> Fabian gave a shrug. "Just one of those things I didn't actually think about until people don't know it other than the places where it crops up. It's just a little figurine people slip into nativities." He mulled over the toolkit, deciding if she said it was the right one it must be. The Swiss army knife held Fabian up a little, however, since he hadn't met her brother yet so he did gravitate to the higher end.

<@Cecilia> "He'll like any one of them with a blade," she said, smiling. "He's not too picky so long as he can peel his potatoes with it."

<@Cecilia> She looked even more horrified at the mention of the nativity though. "Oh my God ," She unconsciously crossed herself before realizing what she was doing and stopping herself abruptly. "That's...what the? Are you joking?!" She frowned. "How is? Isn't that a bit sacrilegious?!" Holy shit. Literally...

<Fabian> "Hell, a decade ago the city was up in arms because the city nativity wasn't going to have one...they still did put him in but it was after protest." Fabian laughed as he weighed the Victorinox over the Wegner knives. It took him a while longer to pick out which Victorinox.

<@Cecilia> "Wait? What exactly does this figurine look like?" She said, imagining the worst. "And what does it have to do with shit?" She sighed. And they thought the Spanish were so sophisticated! Ugh.

<@Cecilia> "Speaking of figurine's we need to hit it if we're gonna go to the Caribbean part of town," she said. "Also. I think I have an idea for my mom's present."

<Fabian> "It's...just a little boy taking a shit." Fabian just held his arms out as he shrugged, heading to pay for the gifts. "That sounds like a plan, though you know I'm a bit sad I didn't get to make a scene...though I suppose talking about little kids popping a squat as Jesus is born should be close enough."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia slapped her forehead. Hard. "Madre de puta! Really?!" She gave Fabian a dirty look. "The Spanish are weird..." She took their things and shoved it in the backpack and made her way to a gift sort of shop.

<@Cecilia> ((Spanish: Mother of a Whore))

<@Cecilia> She looked at the picture frames. "Here's something you could give my mom." She gestured to a picture frame with two frames attached together. "My mother keeps all our family photographs in an envelope. My tio and tia would probably let her use one of their frames but I think she'd like her own. She can one of my family in the past and one of the current here," she said, gesturing to each respective frame.

<@Cecilia> "And if you really want to make a scene we can," she snorted, joking. "All I gotta do is walk around one of those fancy places without you and my backpack and I'll be getting shit for shoplifting before you even know it!"

<Fabian> "Catalan traditions are an acquired taste." Fabian admitted, deciding not to tell her any of the songs they would be singing if Jacinta had gotten a tio de nadal as well for the season.

<Fabian> Fabian followed her on into the store, nodding at the picture frame suggestion. "That is perfect." He agreed, pulling the frame down; his hand also lingering on an album. Well, if there was ever any way to ensure he got to see all of the embarrassing pictures there were of Cecilia that would be it. He'd just wrap them together.

<Fabian> "I think we can avoid the scene, that doesn't sound particularly fun for you to set up. Plus I'd much rather head for your shops."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia nodded. "Alright, let's head out!"

<@Cecilia> ((Time Passes))

<@Cecilia> Cecilia walked into one of the Central/South American type stores that had a lot of exotic looking things in it. She looked around at the various drums, aztec style prints, gourds and tarantulas in glass cases. "Mmm, lotta of South America here but no so much Central...ah!" She came up to some small wooden figures.

<@Cecilia> "Here we go," she said, picking up the carving of a small man on a horse. "You know what santos are, right?" She asked Fabian.

<Fabian> Fabian shook his head as he looked over the figures. "I'd assume carved saints but beyond that no, I can't say as I'm familiar with them." He admitted, smiling. "And if I'm not then nobody will be and Jacinta will be very pleased indeed."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia smiled. "You're right about them being carved saints. The Spanish used to give them to the Taino Native Americans of the island to try to get them to convert to Christianity," she explained. "I'm part Taino."

<@Cecilia> "They're seen as messengers form heaven to earth. Traditionally they'd be kept in altars and prayed to for help or protection." Cecilia looked at Fabian, "You really think she'd like this? It's sorta...odd, I guess to most Americans."

<Fabian> "Luckily we're not dealing with any Americans in this situation." Fabian shrugged and smiled. "Yes, I believe she'll love it. She would be where I got my travel obsession from so that'll add to the appreciation. You've done perfectly."

<@Cecilia> "Nice," she said. She eyed some cigars behind the counter. "There's no Cuban here. No imports from there in this country," she said. "But there's some Dominican. What's one that would least offend your padre?"

<@Cecilia> "I think I like your mother," said Cecilia smiling. "Well, stepmother. But whatever, close enough."

<Fabian> "He was born offended so I don't think you should worry about it one bit, the Dominican are perfect...even if I'll be tempted to have one." He added to tease her. "I think you'll get along...I hope you'll get along."

<@Cecilia> "I think we will, we've got at least one thing in common: you," smiled Cecilia. She gestured for the store clerk to unlock the case, thanking him in Spanish.

<@Cecilia> She raised an eyebrow. "You really wanna relapse? Hmph. Cigars are for special occasions, the only time I'll ever be okay with you having a cigar is when you have your firstborn child," she said a bit churlishly.

<@Cecilia> "Hell, I'll join you then. And that's the only occasion I'd ever smoke again with you!"

<Fabian> Fabian couldn't help but smile at the sappiest thing he could recall Cecilia saying today and her cigar rant managed to come out together. "Don't worry, I'm only teasing you...even though cigars are much better than cigarettes in my opinion. You can buy them and rest assured I won't pilfer them after he gets the gift."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia was busy arguing with the cashier though in Spanish. "I AM eighteen! Look at my ID!" It wasn't even fake! "There we go. Thank YOU. Jesus, why do I get carded but you didn't get a second glance in the liquor store?" She rolled her eyes, dumping her cigars in her bag.

<@Cecilia> "What're you smiling about?" She laughed. Hm. The freakout must've ended then.

<Fabian> "Because you're unintentionally hilarious and now all I have to figure out is what I'm going to be getting you." Oh hell, what was he going to be getting her? "And I've no idea. I'd like to think I don't look older."

<@Cecilia> "Hehehe," said Cecilia smugly. "I know what I'm getting you!" She laughed. "Want some help? Or would that spoil the surprise?"

<@Cecilia> She studied him. "You don't look older. But you look more...confident, I guess? You look quite different when you're actually smiling not smirking ," she said, raising an eyebrow. "Anyways, enough about you! Let's talk about me and my present."

<Fabian> "Nooo, no you're not allowed to help, that would make it too easy on me and spoil the surprise." Fabian got out quickly, laughing more as he grabbed their bags. "And I'm made of confidence, you know this."

<@Cecilia> "You have no fucking idea what to get me do you?" Said Cecilia laughing. "Alright well, I'll let you decide. Truth is I have no idea what to tell you to get me!"

<Fabian> "Then I can't disappoint you!" He said, quite cheerful of the fact as he led the way out of the store. "Maybe I'll get you a caganer then."

<@Cecilia> "Oh HELL no," said Cecilia looking seriously horrified. "ANYTHING but that! Seriously, I'd do ANYTHING to avoid that! No religous presents of any kind! Sacrilegious or otherwise. I always found it so AWKWARD whenever someone gave me a cross. Especially after I quit church."

<Fabian> "I can promise you I won't get you any Christian idolatry, shitting or otherwise." He put his hand over his heart at that, laughing as he did so.

<@Cecilia> "Oh thank Christ," she sighed. "It's going to be bad enough to have to go to mass with my family again. Mom always looks very sad whenever I don't go, but I think she's even sadder when I do." She frowned. "Are we gonna do that in Barcelona? You're Catholic in name at least right?"

<Fabian> He nodded. "More than likely we'll make an appearance. We can easily get out of it if you'd rather not, though." Fabian didn't particularly care one way or the other. "So I'll leave it up to you."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia waved her hand. "No, no. I'll go. I don't wanna be 'that person.' I'll be fine. Besides, should be educational at least, being in the different country and all...Just don't expect me to go to confession," she said wryly.

<Fabian> "No problem, just imagine the poor Priest if I were to go."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia laughed loudly. "Now I sorta want you to go just to see what would happen!" She snorted and held her sides. "Jesus Christ! Can you imagine?!"

<Fabian> "...remind me when we're there and I'll do it." Fabian admitted. What was the holidays without tormenting a more pure soul?

<@Cecilia> Cecilia clapped her hands. "This is gonna be great!" She eyed a dollar store and the bookstore. "Right can I meet you back here in twenty minutes? Imma get your present now. Feel free to disappear while I do and get mine."

<Fabian> "Oh, I am not buying yours while I'm with you. I know I spy in that situation and I've a feeling you'll try to as well." Fabian laughed, giving her a wave. "You go shop and I'll meet you at the cafe."

<@Cecilia> Cecilia nodded and took off. Hehehe, she was an evil genius! This would be the best present ever!