10/28 Instance: Faces Without Names

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

10/28 Instance: Faces Without Names

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<Jean-Paul> Paul, or maybe Jean-Paul considering what the people here kept calling him when the saw him, was indulging in curiousity, walking around the place trying to sort out all of what they had been told. He didn't quite believe it but they did have a collection of evidence in what was apparently his room.

<Jean-Paul> All kinds of pictures had been there to greet him, numbers to what was apparently his family that he wasn't sure he was up to calling yet. The whole thing was ridiculously surreal and he couldn't help but still find it hard to believe.

<@Mayday> "J-Jean-Paul?", a redhead in glasses poked her head around the door, watching him pace around in a thoughtful daze.

<Jean-Paul> He glanced up at the name, smiling absently. "Hey there, who are you again?"

<@Mayday> The girl couldn't hide the feeling of hurt at the question. She stepped into the room and approached him slowly, fumbling with the sleeves on her jumper, "I-I'm Mayday Parker. You and I....we're...we were friends."

<Jean-Paul> "Most people seem to be avoiding the past tense." Jean-Paul laughed, looking to the pictures and digging up Mayday. He looked around for a pen until finding one, scribbling her name on the back of the picture.

<@Mayday> "I don't know if it's fair to tell you what's what.", Mayday smiled awkwardly, "I-I mean, given the circumstances...", she squirmed a little, "...I'm sorry, I just have no idea where to even begin..."

<Jean-Paul> "It's supposed to be temporary." Jean-Paul reminded her, deciding that if this was his bed he was going to have a seat on it all ready. "So I'd say it wouldn't make much difference. I'm more finding it hard to believe that it is a thing."

<@Mayday> Mayday nodded, "Y-yeah, I guess you're right.", she smirked a little; even in an amnesia-prone state he was giving her the reassuring comments, "...so how are you?"

<Jean-Paul> "...I woke up in a strange place and was told my family isn't my family and I'm a mutant." That described how he was but he laughed. It was ridiculous. "What do I even do, anyway?"

<@Mayday> "You fly, and move at high speed.", Mayday answered, "Also, you're a really snappy dresser - I wonder if being awesome is part of it?", she joked, picking at the strings in her jumper sleeves, "What happened in Traskville? Do you recall anything strange or...?"

<Jean-Paul> "My whole life happened there as I remember it so you might need to be more specific." He laughed, not really sure how to answer that though he did kick out the desk chair for her, find it weird to just see her hovering there.

<@Mayday> Mayday glanced at the chair, seeing what he was getting at. She sat down slowly, thanking him before continuing, "I-I guess....I don't know what I was trying for with that question either.", she laughed wryly, "Er...well, how about this: what do you recall about this place? About....me?"

<Jean-Paul> "...nothing." That was probably a shit thing to say. "I mean, I don't know anything. Once in a while some thing might seem familiar but I can't tell you why."

<@Mayday> "Oh.", Mayday responded shortly, awkwardly looking away. That sucked. She sat in silence for a few moments, thinking of what to say.

<@Mayday> "W-when I first got here...", she managed after an uncomfortably long silence, "You were the first person I really talked to. You made me omelettes and told me that I shouldn't feel like a freak because of what I am."

<Jean-Paul> That...didn't exactly sound like something Jean-Paul could imagine himself saying, especially considering the thoughts he had so far about being a mutant. He was normal, everything about him had been normal but that was definitely not normal. "Yeah?"

<@Mayday> Mayday watched his face, trying to gauge a reaction, "Mmm-hmn: and they were tasty omelettes.", she added with a little smile, "I-I remember you told me that my power was really cool as well.", she held her hands together, "...I called you 'Mrs. Fantastic'.",

<Jean-Paul> Jean-Paul's face shifted from slight but accepting disbelief to confusion. "Why would you call me that?"

<@Mayday> "Y-your boyfriend. H-his codename is 'Mr. Fantastic', s-so I came up with it as a joke...", Mayday stammered, "...y-you didn't forget that you're.......???"

<Jean-Paul> "I'm not!" Jean-Paul looked even more confused at her but that was his automatic response. He was completely normal, not a mutant, not anything. What was this business?

<@Mayday> 'So much for subtlety(!)', Mayday thought, awkwardly sinking into her seat, "I-I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd forgotten so much!", she explained, "B-but when I met you, you said it. I....I swear it happened."

<Jean-Paul> "Yeah." Jean-Paul was frowning though, not really in the conversation now as he tried to think through everything. He knew things were awkward, he wasn't that oblivious but this was a bit much.

<@Mayday> "Gosh, I really screwed this up, huh?", Mayday sighed, "I...I know it sounds stupid but I really thought I'd come in here and you'd just start remembering things...", she looked away, obviously upset, "I-It's not fair of me, I know. I'm sorry."

<Jean-Paul> "Well...I guess we're just going to have to wait, aren't we?" Jena-Paul was just...not going to think about this for a while. It was better that way.

<@Mayday> Mayday's heart sank, "....yeah. Ahm...", she stood slowly, "M-maybe I should give you some space..."

<Jean-Paul> "...you want to at least help me put names to faces so I don't have to keep asking who people are?"

<@Mayday> "A-are you sure?", Mayday asked in answer, "I...just don't want to upset you..."

<Jean-Paul> "I'd rather not have to continue asking everyone who they are and see them be disappointed when they know people don't remember."

<@Mayday> Mayday sat back down, feeling a little stupid suddenly, "Y-yeah...I-I'm sorry, er...", she shuffled the chair forwards, "...o-ok, I can help."

<Jean-Paul> "Good, just tell me what to write where." He held up a picture from his pile, uncapping his pen with his teeth.

<@Mayday> "....ok.", Mayday nodded, trying not to sound so hurt that he was being so cold. He didn't mean it. She just had to remember that. It'd get better...

<Jean-Paul> "Right then, who's this guy right there." He pointed in the picture, getting ready to write.

<Mayday> "Well, that's Reed....t-the guy I just...", Mayday answered timidly.

<Jean-Paul> "Oh...right then." Jean-Paul scribbled the name down anyway, preparing himself to get through the rest of the pile.

<Mayday> "Ok, that's Penny. And the one behind it is Ankka, he's this huge Norse guy who's going out with Noriko, the little Japanese girl?", she tried to sound happy to get past the awkwardness. "That one...", she pointed over at a picture on the far side, "Is of you and Clarice.", Mayday looked at him, "You two were best friends before....all of this...."

<Jean-Paul> "We are best friends." Jean-Paul corrected before turning the picture over to look. "She's...pink."

<Mayday> Mayday nodded, "Ah....yes. She's always been....pink.", she fumbled with a lock of hair, "You two met before you even came here - she was being a vigilantee, 'The Astonishing Blink', she called herself. And she met you while she was doing that."

<Jean-Paul> That was...weird. "I've always known her, well, I remember always knowing her."

<Mayday> "You pretty much always have.", she assured him, "Do you remember how you both met? Doesn't matter what version, just tell me what you remember."

<Jean-Paul> "She's my neighbour. Her family and mine've lived by each other since I was born...but since that's not my family and that wasn't her family either I think we can discount that."

<Mayday> Mayday frowned, "Can you remember any acute details? I-I mean a few people realized that they couldn't pinpoint specifics...", she looked at the picture, "W-what about her skin? You must have noticed something was amiss?"

<Jean-Paul> "I don't think people normally think their friends should be pink."

<Mayday> "You thought something was out of place and you were right. See?", she tapped the picture again, "That must have been a re-surfacing memory!"

<Jean-Paul> "...no, I meant that I didn't think anything was out of place." Well, he had learned that Mayday here was way too literal.

<Mayday> Mayday shied back into her chair, "...oh. I'm sorry. I-I just....", she tightened her grip on her knees, "...s-should I just...go? I feel like I'm not helping at all and..."

<Jean-Paul> "If you want to." Jean-Paul frowned, not really sure what to say to that. "I think you're just expecting a bit much a bit early."

<Mayday> "Y-yeah, maybe....I just...", she looked up, "It scares me. H-how its like....I feel like a ghost.", Mayday laughed a little dryly, "I don't mean to be, you know, selfish, but...", she looked up, "Jean-Paul, you're like my best friend and...it's like we never met. I don't....I just wish I knew what to do."

<Jean-Paul> "I'm...sorry?" What exactly was a person supposed to say to that.

<Mayday> Mayday shook her head, "...I don't know, I'm just...", she sighed, sounding exhausted, "M-maybe I'm just tired...I don't even think I'm making sense to me right now.", looking back to the pictures, she started pointing at a few more, eager to escape dialogue, "T-that's er...that's Fabian. And this one is Max..."

<Jean-Paul> Jean-Paul just got to writing the names down, deciding that it was probably best to just keep it at that.

<Mayday> She only looked back up at him once more before continuing to point out faces and name them. Mayday tried to hide the upset and emotional fatigue in her voice: people needed her to be strong. And it would get better in time...