10/14 Instance: No Tricks, Just Treats

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

10/14 Instance: No Tricks, Just Treats

Post by Starfish »

Timeline: Right around the Halloween game.

Darren: Darren had to duck out of the DR party early, and headding back to his empty apartment he shifted back and got changed into his Assassin's Creed costume, he had a date with a pretty girl to keep and she should be here any moment.

Penny: Penny knocked on the door to Darren and Selene's apartment, shifting again to make sure her costume sat properly. It had taken her longer than expected, but wrapping herself into a layer of duct tape had seemed like a good idea, as she didn't want to risk tearing any holes into a tight fitting green suit, adorned with many little thorns. She had worked too long on her cactus costume for that.

Darren: Pulling the white hood over his head Darren grinned, there she was. He opened the door, "Ahhh bella," he gave Penny a wide smile, "that's a pretty awesome costume, Bright Eyes, you wanna head out now or do you want a drink or something first before we go?"

Penny: After waving at Darren, she tilted her head slightly to the side, looking thoughtful for a moment. 'Maybe we can put it in a cup to take along,' Penny suggested, using sign language to communicate with him. 'I like your costume too,' she added with a smile.

Darren: Darren smiled and stepped aside to let her into the apartment, "Sure, I've got some travel cups somewhere. Do you just want some juice or something stronger?" He asked, rummaging in the cupboards for said cups, "I think this is one of the most favourite costumes I've ever made, even if I do get harassed by teenaged girls while wearing it."

Penny: 'And that is a bad thing,' Penny asked him, her smile containing a hint of mischief as she signed the words at Darren. 'Well, it's a special day, isn't it? I think we should celebrate its spookiness by adding a bit of rum to the juice.'

Darren: "'Cos they're jailbait and I'm a responcible, grown up, married man ... allegedly," he made up the spooky rum juice, "you got your stash bag?" He checked, putting the tops on the cups.

Penny: Penny flashed a grin and held up the large, sturdy looking bag. It had cartoony dinosaurs painted on it. Before she took the cup Darren offered, her expression turned somewhat serious. 'Is Selene still at this camp,' she asked, grabbing the cup to cradle it between her clawed hands.

Darren: "Now that is a serious swag bag," Darren chuckled, shepherding her out of the apartment and locking the door behind him, "... Yeah, yeah she is," he said, looking more then a little down, "I'm still getting reports from her every week about what happening though," he reassured the girl, though there was something about the communications that was bothering him.

Darren: They were ... too professional. There hadn't been a single mention of squirrel formation or mole people, which was very unlike Selene.

Penny: Sucking on her straw to slurp some of that juice, Penny gave Darren a thoughtful look, nodding solemnly. 'Max keeps writing me, too,' she told him, tucking the cup with her elbow so she had her hands free to sign. 'He said there are some family issues he has to take care off, so he's still stuck at home.'

Penny: Something that had bothered her for a while now returned to the top of her mind, finally prompting her to ask Darren. 'Did your wife call you?'

Darren: "Said she'd not allowed," Darren frowned as they made their way down the steps leading to the garage, "they're worried about being traced and shuff, it's all very hush-hush. I'm trying not to let it bug me though, there's been plenty of times where work has called me away for weeks at a time with no communication," he inspected the line up of vans, cars and bikes.

Penny: A frown marred Penny's face. 'Neither has Max,' she replied, giving Darren a look. 'He wrote the telephone company cut their line because they missed some bills, and that he lost his cell phone in the bathroom.' The red girl cocked her head. 'I can believe the latter explanation, but I'm starting to worry a little, you know?'

Darren: "... In his own bathroom or a public bathroom?" Darren asked after a moment's thought, his eyes comming to rest on Rogue's bike, still chained up and more then a little dusty looking, "but I can see your point ..." he looked back down at the red, spikey girl. He had quite the large soft-spot for Bright Eyes and then after a moment gave her a smile.

Darren: "How about when you've got a free day I fly you to South Africa to visit him?" He suggested.

Penny: That brought the grin right back to Penny's face as she flashed her white teeth at Darren. 'That would be amazing,' she quickly signed, before giving him a brief hug. 'We can have an adventure, and maybe ride a rhino!'

Penny: Her gaze fell upon the bike, before she looked back at Darren. 'Are you thinking about taking it for a ride?`'

Darren: "Warlock and Penance on Safari," Darren chuckled, hugging the girl back carefully so as not to rip his costume before looking back at the bike, "Well, I can't shapeshift in this, and we need to get into town some how so you can get your candy," after a further moment he took the chain and tore it appart like it was made of paper.

Darren: "Not like she's using it, after all."

Penny: Penny nodded, looking all serious. 'I'm sure she would want us to have fun with it', she signed, before climbing on the back of the bike and tucking the against her stomach so it wouldn't get lost.

Darren: Darren climbed up behind her and pressed his finger against the ignition keyhole and after a few seconds shifting his finger he was able to turn the engine over, "Oooh, you don't sound healthy at all, poor baby," he patted the tank, "not good for you, being all cooped up in here," he put his arms around Penny to keep her in place, "you ever rode a bike like this before, Bright Eyes?"

Penny: Looking over her should, Penny shook her head. 'Do you mind helping me a little, before I run us into a house,' she asked, holding up her hands. The cup had found a nice spot to stay wedged between a pair of pipes.

Darren: Darren chuckled, wrapping his hands around the handles, "How about you just let me do the hard work here and you just have fun, kiddo?" He sugested, nudging the kickstand with his boot and balancing the bike for them.

Penny: Penny did a little bounce on the seat of be bike. 'I like that idea,' she signed, then used one hand to hold on to the bike and the other to hold grab Darren as he steered them out of the parking lot and accelerated up the ramp.

Darren: Darren laughed, she was too cute, and took them down the driveway and onto the road leading into the local suburbia. Making sure not to go too fast, but just fast enough to keep Penny amused.

Penny: Safety didn't stay on her mind for very long, and as soon as they had made it out onto the road and were going faster, Penny took her hands off the bike and threw them up into the air instead. The red-skinned girl cheered silently, a huge grin on her face as the wind rushed through her spiky hair.

Darren: "God, I hope we don't get spotted by a cop, I left my SHIELD badge at home," Darren shook his head in quiet amusement, "watch your balance when I turn the corner, don't want youu falling out and scuffing up your costume."

Penny: Turning her head, Penny gave Darren a small smile and nodded in acknowledgment. She had her legs hooked around his knees, then ducked lower against the bike when they took a drawn out corner. She couldn't resist holding out her arms in an airplane impression.

Darren: Since the girl was mute, Darren provided the necessay "Nnnnnnnnyaaaaaaaaaaah!" airplane sound effect, slowing down a lot more now that they were approaching houses and there were lots of little ankle-biters out and about in costume.

Penny: With or without costumes, two mutants riding a spiffy bike were interesting enough to draw a lot of attention from the kids and their parents as Penny and Darren rolled into the neighborhood. While he looked for a spot to park, she smiled at the locals and gave them a wave.

Darren: There were a few coos of delight from the older kids at Darren's costume and he gave a group of fourteen year old girls dressed as Hogwart's students a wink and they cruised past, "Just remember Pen, don't share your juice no matter how much kids might give you puppy eyes for it," he found a likely-looking spot and killed the engine and kicked out the stand.

Penny: 'Maybe their parents would thank me for it when their excited kids go to sleep much easier tonigh,' Penny signed back in response, a wry smile curling her lips as she looked over her shoulder. 'No worries, I'll keep it to myself and shall defend it valiantly.'

Darren: "Good, good," Darren climbed off the bike and helped Penny down, "So, where do you wanna start?" He asked her, waving a hand to indicate all the houses.

Penny: Penny looked around. The place seemed friendly enough, with lots of decorations and lights about, plenty of kids in costumes wandering the sidewalks, either in small groups or accompanied by an adult. 'I suggest starting with the houses that have the most decorations out,' she signed, nodding sagely. 'I'm sure those people will have the most candy.'

Darren: "Sound reasoning, just expect to be stopped for photos while we're out and about," Darren smiled as they made thier way towards the nearest house, "Do you have your sign ready since you can't talk?" He checked as they waited for a group of disney princessess to finish at the door.

Penny: She pulled her little chalkboard from the bag and held it up, then proceeded to put the cord around her neck and made sure to have a piece of chalk attached to it. Penny gave Darren the a-ok sign, before they snuck in after the band of princesses. While Darren pressed the doorbell, Penny was already writing something onto her little blackboard.

Darren: Darren smiled and waved at some knee-high pokemon who were going insane with joy at seeing mutants in halloween costumes. Kids were cute. He turned back as the door opened, fully prepared to leap to Penny's defense if the people inside turned out to be mutant haters. They were in luck though as the woman simply cooed "Oh! What a cute little cactus!"

Penny: Penny put her best effort into looking as adorable as possible, keeping her head slightly tilted to the side with the sweetest smile on her lips. Doing a little bounce, she held up her chalkboard, the words "Trick or treat!" scribbled on it in big, exaggerated letters. She then held out her bag expectantly, her smile turning into a big, toothy grin.

Darren: The woman looked a little confused at the sign till Darren explained, "She's mute," which caused the woman to look even more enchanted, "Awww, you poor thing, here you go!" She grabbed a handful of candy and put it in Penny's bag, "It's so sweet your big brother dressed up as well to take you out," she said happily, tossing Darren a twinkie.

Darren: "Big-?" Darren started, but they were quickly and gently herded away as the poke-children came up for their turn, and Darren turned a smirk to Penny, "Big brother, huh?"

Penny: After her bag had received its share of candy, Penny turned the chalkboard around, where a "Thank you!" message had already been prepared, along with a happy smiley face. Once they were a few steps away, the red mutant gave Darren a scrutinizing look, before she shrugged and showed him a smile. 'Would she be that wrong,' she asked him, signing the question.

Darren: Darren gave her a warm smile and ruffled her head spikes, "I guess not, but isn't Monet your big sister or something?" He asked, as they made their way to the next house.

Penny: 'She is, yes' Penny replied, nodding. She watched Darren for a moment, then smiled. 'I don't think she'd mind if I had a big brother, as well, though,' she added, nudging him in the side. 'After all, we're not blood related, either.'

Darren: "Well, you need an older sibling to do cool stuff with," Darren remarked, "I can't see Monet taking people trick or treating," they made their way up to the next house and Darren opened his twinkie to eat, "I've got five big sisters, think I'd like having a little one," he said, chewing thoughtfully.

Penny: Penny glanced skyward, trying to picture her sister going trick or treating with her. The thought alone nearly broke her brain. 'No, I think I might have better chances to get her to eat foul apples than see her out here in a costume,' she replied, showing an uneven smile.

Penny: As they waited for the door to open, Penny signed 'To my new big brother,' and held up her cup, flashing Darren an excited grin.

Darren: Darren toasted her with his own cup of special juice, "To my new baby sister ... does this mean when we get to South Africa I now have to give Max the talk?"

Penny: Baring her teeth, Penny gave her impression of a soundless giggle. 'You don't have to, but I think you should to so, anyway,' she replied. 'And film it for me.'

Darren: Darren gave her a salute as the door opened and Penny was cooed over once again, more candy being transfered to her bag as Darren hung back, just letting Penny enjoy herself as he finished off his twinkie. The continued like this for some time till his ears picked up the sound of quiet sobbing, "Hmm, you hear that?" He poked the back of Penny's head as she checked her loot.

Penny: Penny made a questioning sound, looking up from the contents of her bag. She was nibbling on a chocolate bar - the wrapping included. Following Darren's gaze, she focused her senses on the soft sobbing, heading off in the direction of its source.

Darren: Darren followed her, it seemed to be comming from some bushes off to the side of one house. Darren pushed the leaves asside to reveal a tiny little girl, barely out of toddlerhood, in a sligtly bedraggled fairy costume crying to herself.

Darren: Darren quickly pulled his hood back so the girl wouldn't freak out if she couldn't see his face, "Aww, you lost sweetheart?" He asked her gently.

Penny: Penny peeked over Darren's shoulder, smiling at the girl but otherwise keeping a little distance, so she wouldn't accidentally freak the little one out with her presence. After the girl gave each of them a slightly scared look, she wiped some of the tears off her face and nodded reluctantly.

Penny: Digging into her bag, Penny pulled out some of her candy haul and nudged Darren, gesticulating at him to offer it to the girl.

Darren: "Good plan, Bright Eyes," Darren took it ad offered it to the girl, who took it a little reluctantly, "You know, your mama is probbaly going crazy with worry over you," he told the girl seriously, crouching down so that they were at the same level, "and she's not gonna find you if you're hiding in a bush. So why don't we go and talk to the nice people in the houses and see if any of them have seen you mama, okay?" He held out a hand for the little girl to take.

Penny: Making sure all her sharp bits were safely kept away from the little girl, Penny gave the lost one an encouraging smile and nodded. Big, sparkling eyes, slightly red from the tears, moved back and forth between the two mutants. Eventually, the girl bit her lower lip and carefully took the hand that Darren held out of her. Penny was already bouncing off to knock on the door of the nearest house.

Darren: Darren very gently picked the kid up and balanced her on his hip, opening the candy for her to nibble on. She spotted his slave-ring labret piercing and with wide eyes started to flick it up and down, earning a chuckle from him which in turn made her giggle around he treat as the door opened, "Hey ma'am," he said polietly, "we found this little one hiding in your bushes, she's lost her mama, don't suppose you know who she belongs too?"

Darren: Turned out that there was a phone system in place incase of lost children and Darren, Penny and the little fairy were invited in while the lady phoned around, trying to find the girl's mother. Darren took a seat on the bottom of the stairs facing the door and bouced the girl on his knee, making her giggle again.

Penny: 'We're scoring candy and managed to do a good deed,' Penny remarked, signing at Darren while they waited 'This is what I'd call a true superhero Halloween.' She smiled, reaching into her bag to share more of her candy with the lost girl.

Darren: "Absolutly," Darren chuckled, as the little girl took the candy, "My name's Darren, and this is Penny, what's your name sweetie?" He asked as the girl unwrapped the lolipop.

Darren: "I's Mindy," the girl said seriously, "Mindy huh, that's a pretty name," Darren told her, "Gotta say, you're being really brave right now, we're impressed, right Penny?"

Penny: Penny nodded, showing the girl her sweetest smile. Even though she wasn't able to give her any words of encouragement, the least she could do was use her chalkboard to draw a picture for her, entitled "My Halloween Adventure". When she was finally happy with the outcome, she took off the board and pushed it over to the little lost girl.

Darren: Mindy looked at the board and then giggled and clapped at the drawing, while Darren was distracted by the home owner waving at him. He gave the little girl a bright smile, "Well hey, they've found your mama and she's comming to get you now," he used the sleeve of his jacked to wipe the little girl's face, "shall we open the door and wait for her?"

Darren: Mindy nodded enthusiastically and Darren stood up, putting the girl on the floor and taking her hand as he opened the door and they waited. It wasn't long before Mindy let out a delighted scream of "MAMA!" And Darren had to hold her back from running out untill the frantic looking young woman was within scooping range.

Penny: Penny followed them to the door, looking past Darren with a happy smile lighting up her expression. Mindy spent some time clinging to her mother, before she turned her head and pointed at the two mutants who had found her. Penny waved at the young woman.

Darren: Darren opened his mouth to check the young mother was okay and froze when he was swooped upon and kissed soundly on the lips by her, then just stared slack-jawed as she babbled her thanks before moving to kiss Penny on the cheek as well, "Uh ... you're ... welcome?" Hr hazarded, cheeks colouring a little.

Penny: Picking up her chalkboard with the drawing on it, Penny made sure to push it into the girl's hands and gesticulated at the mother that she should keep it. She exchanged a quick glance with Darren and couldn't have looked any happier even if she tried. Fortunately, no blushing was visible with red skin such as hers.

Darren: Mindy let out a squeal of delight and clapped, waving at then both as she and her mother left with a cheery "Byyyyyyyyye!"

Darren: Darren watched them go with an almost .... sad, whistful look on his face for a moment before shaking it off, "Ready to get some more candy, Pen?"

Penny: The look on Darren's face didn't escape Penny's notice, so she gave him a smile and a playful nudge. 'Ready when you are, big brother' she signed. 'Off to candy and more good deeds.'

Darren: Darren put an arm around the small girl's shoulders, "Sounds like a plan, super-cactus," he grinned, pulling his hood back over his face.

Penny: 'I don't understand how people can say being a superhero isn't worth it,' Penny signed to Darren, before the two of them took off again, swinging the growing bag of candy.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: 10/14 Instance: No Tricks, Just Treats

Post by steyn »

Hm, not so sure about the rhinos, they're supposed to be extinct around the year 2016 I think. But if they do find a rhino, ride that thing like there's no tomorrow, because there might not be for the species!

Adorable instance you two!