10/2 Instance: Running the Block

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

10/2 Instance: Running the Block

Post by Ferguson »

Current Timeline

<@Paul> Paul stuck the poster to the message board in the rec center, stepping back to make sure the invitation was straight before kneeling down to put on his good running shoes. Now that he had done that he might as well get some work done, after all.

<Scott> "That looks good, Paul," Scott said, clapping him on the shoulder. "I stuck the others around town. We need to make a list of all the people coming and who's making what."

<@Paul> Doing a good job of not jumping out of his skin, Paul looked back to see Scott, cracking a bright grin. "Hey Scott, thanks. I don't think many people are going to be missing this. I mean, it's basically in everyone's yard, right? Even if they keep their head buried in the sand to miss the notices they'll see everyone out soon enough."

<Scott> "Sorry to creep up on you there. I think they're closing off a whole section of road. There'll be pavilions and tables and stands and things set up." He leant in close. "Dad and some new friends of his are even building a pig pit, but keep it a secret, okay?"

<@Paul> "I won't say a word, swear." Paul put his hand over his heart, chuckling. My but Scott seemed to be getting closer, didn't he? Paul stepped back just a little bit, not sure what he should think having him in his bubble so far. "I know that mother's baking a ton of stuff, she's been busy all week as it is with the stuff."

<Scott> "Oh? That's good. Mom's not good with that. She's getting the refreshment tent stocked full of booze and juice. She was really into bar tending for a while - just after they retired." He grinned at Paul. "So, what have you been roped into?"

<@Paul> "Outside of bulletins? I'm supposed to be helping with the games. Any suggestions?" He asked, grinning back. Grinning was perfectly normal, after all.

<Scott> "Um... there's a beanbag toss, face painting, and er maybe standing bingo? Oh, and some organized races in the open field at the end of Rose street that I'm doing. I was going to go over there to make sure there aren't any divets and things to trip over. Want to come with?"

<@Paul> "That sounds like a good plan, sure." He nodded, slipping his bag back on his shoulders. "Yeah, I figure we have the usual games and basically a field day sort of set up, easy to put together sort of thing."

<Scott> "Quite." Scott looked outside. "It's going to be cold, though. Not sure if it's the best idea to have a block party." He zipped up his jacket and opened the door. "A nice run?"

<@Paul> "I'm always up for a nice run." Paul assured him, ducking through the door. "Well, if everything proves to be too cold we've got plenty of houses to go to, plus in here."

<Scott> "True." Scott closed the door behind them.

<Scott> "A light run, to arm up?"

<@Paul> He gave Scott a smirking salute, taking a moment to stretch. "We might as well work our way around the place, hmm? We can even finish with the posters on our way."

<Scott> "Sounds good." Having already warmed up on the way, he started off, jogging, waiting for Paul to catch up."

<@Paul> Paul wasn't as fast as he normally would be catching up, mesmerized by something he couldn't quite put his finger on until he came up even with Scott. "So, bringing anyone for the festivities?"

<Scott> Scott snorted. "Don't know anyone that well yet. Maybe Jessica. You?"

<@Paul> "The girl with the spider thing?" Well, maybe he missed something that he should have seen there. Damn, and what answer did Paul have to give to him? "Well, not yet anyway."

<Scott> "Spider thing? I missed the local gossip apparently."

<@Paul> "Oh, she just really likes spiders, we were talking about it in the woods a few days ago." Paul expained, motioning towards where they had been.

<Scott> "Ah. I guess I won't kill any in her sight then. Got anyone in your sights to bring?"

<@Paul> "You know, I don't really know." He admitted, brain grasping at air for any appropriate answer but coming up with nothing. Why was this so hard? It didn't seem that way for other people. "I guess I hadn't really been thinking about it until now."

<Scott> "I see." Scott sped up, pulling ahead a bit. "Well, no worries you'll find someone."

<@Paul> Paul sped up after a moment, just then realizing he was falling behind as he was thinking. I see? What did I see mean? "There's...quite the selection after all."

<Scott> "I guess so, for your age." Scott kept pace for a bit, then really stretched his legs. He was going his best pace, but it was better than toddling along.

<Paul> "...any recommendations?" Paul asked after a while, still completely lost.

<Scott> "Not really. Not Jean, though. She's very focused on her biking. Ran me down the other day.

<Scott> " He pursed his lips as Paul came up to level, and started running faster.

<Paul> Biking would at least give them something to talk about. Paul found his thoughts drifting as he considered that whole situation. Well, Scott seemed to know what he was doing so Jean was a no.

<Paul> "Hey now, where are you going?" He laughed, pushing his speed more.

<Scott> "To the field. I want to get there fast!" He called over his shoulder as he went all out, leaving Paul behind.

<Paul> Paul snorted, charging after him. Like hell he was about to be left behind!