9/29 Instance: Crash and Burn

Read our instance transcripts here for hot character sessions!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

9/29 Instance: Crash and Burn

Post by Slarti »

Timelined the day after [Instance]Extracurricular Activities.

Jean: The peak was near now, and Jean was setting a steady pace - breathe in, breath out, and pedal. Her eyes were focused on the pavement just beyond her handlebars. The music feeding into her earbuds echoed the pounding of her heart.

Scott: Scott was in the middle of a runner's high, his strides matching easily with the pounding music. He breathed in and out just out of time with his footfalls. He cut across a small path onto the main biking trail, and let himself cut loose - nice flat, smooth ground - he could ramp it up. Nobody was ever going to beat his time.

Jessica: Jess had slipped out of her house early that morning for a walk before work. It was chilly and there was a light frost on the ground but it was a nice day. She put her hands in her pockets because she'd forgotten her gloves and walked around the edge of the town towards the cycling tracks but not really paying attention to where she was going.

Jean: Once she reached the top of this hill, she could level out, take a breather on the plateau. But until then... Jean's thighs were burning, which just meant she needed more work. She pushed harder.

Scott: Scott watched his breath fogging in front of him. He cut across another small path and ended up on the low side of a hill. This was such a lovely morning for a run.

Jessica: Jess wound her way through the trees, bending to pick up a fallen leaf that she liked the colour of. Hmm... maybe she could do something with them. All the colours were so nice. She twirled it around in her hands as she walked, finding herself nearing the top of a hill after some time.

Jean: Jean was too focused to even see her breath, or to feel the cold in her light bicycle shorts and tank.

Scott: Scott heard the odd thrum of something coming up behind him, he barely had time to turn when a bike and a person slammed right into him. He crashed down with a yell, earphones tumbling away. "What the hell?! Ow!" He glared at the girl.

Jessica: Jess heard the yell and sped up towards it, recognising both parties and hurrying over, "Oh my God! Are you okay?!"

Jean: Finding herself on the ground in a tangle with her bike, Jean yelped and cursed. "Fuck me, ow!" Crawling out from under the bike, she checked it first though her knees were already burning. "Oh my God! Do you know how much this bike cost!"

Scott: "Excuse me? But I believe it was you who ran into me, bitch!" He pushed her away and tried to untangle his leg from the frame of the bike, cursing roundly.

Jessica: Jess went to help Scott untangle himself and get to his feet. "Are you alright?" She looked between both of them. "Not seriously hurt I hope...."

Jean: "Did you just call me a bitch? Oh. My. God.... fuck you!" The push did it and she jerked her bike backward away from him none too gently. "I hope I broke it then!"

Scott: "I'm fine." Scott was glad he'd extricated his leg before she'd pulled the bike. "You ran into me - I hope your bike is broken. You are not the only person in this universe, red."

Jean: "No, but this is the only bike like this in the universe so it's worth more than your old ass!" Jean gave him a look up and down and just finally noticed the blood running down her shins. "Oh..."

Jessica: "Okay okay, yelling at each other is not helpful," Jess attempted to defuse the situation.

Scott: Scott let the 'old' remark pass. He wiped at a cut on his cheek and limped a few feet away. "So tell the maker you attempted to do a hit and run and fix it for you."

Jessica: Jess chewed her lip, offering an arm to help steady Scott. "It's just a bike, you should be grateful there were no serious injuries."

Jean: "Ugh. Right." Jean rolled her eyes and broke into the bag behind her seat. Grabbing some antiseptic wipes, she glared at them for a minute before offering a packet to Scott.

Scott: "...Thanks." He took the wipe and applied it to his cheek. "You've got another scrape on your palm." He reached for her hand, and turned it over gently, examining it. "It looks superficial. You just need to wash some grit out and it'll be fine."

Jessica: "Bikes take less time to fix than broken limbs." She pointed out. "Can you walk alright?" she asked Scott, she'd seen the limping.

Jean: Jean gave Jess an odd look and resisted the urge to jerk her hand away from Scott. "Thanks," she told him tightly, then pulled away. Grabbing another wipe for herself she sat on the side of the trail and dabbed at her bloody knees.

Scott: Scott blinked and dropped Jean's hand. "Yeah - just a bruise. Nothing's broken. I'm sure I've got some cuts and scrapes all over. How about you - Jean, right? You need someone to walk you somewhere, or is it jumping right back on the horse?"

Jessica: She gave Scott a small smile, "Both of you should probably get those cleaned up.... I'm not far from here if you want to come back and take advantage of warm water and a first aid kit..."

Jean: "I...shouldn't ride it until I get it checked. Don't want to make it worse." Jean hissed, picking bits of grit from her skin. Twisting, she checked her elbow. It was skinned too. "Uuuugh of course."

Jean: She looked up at Jess and smoothed her hair back into its ponytail. "Thanks..."

Scott: "That'd be nice. Thanks, Jess."

Jessica: "Come on then... this way..." she gestured through the trees, "Only a short walk and all downhill..." She gave them both a smile and led the way back to her house.

Jean: She was surprised at the generosity, but geniunely thankful, since she was starting to notice it was freezing out here. Walking her bike, she fell into line.

Jessica: Jess showed them back through the trees and opened up the door to let them into the house, "You can leave your bike out front or bring it into the hall, there's room."

Scott: "Thanks again, Jess."

Jessica: "It's no trouble," she smiled and led the way into the kitchen to get the kit, gesturing to the table for them to sit.

Jean: Jean parked her bike outside, figuring it was safe enough for a short time. Chewing her lip a moment, she mumbled to Scott as they sat. "I didn't even see you..."

Scott: "I'm sorry, I believe I misheard you - did you say you were sorry because you were at fault?"

Jean: Jean made a disgusted sound and crossed her arms.

Jessica: Jess dropped the first aid kit down on the table between them with a loud bang in warning not to start arguing again. "Tea?"

Scott: Scott grinned widely, and leaned back in the chair, wincing as something twinged.

Jean: "Well maybe I would have apologized if you hadn't cut me off." She sniffed. "Which is just as rude as me not noticing you." Asshole.

Jessica: Jess rolled her eyes and put enough water in the kettle for three even though they hadn't answered the question which was also rude in her opinion.

Scott: "Cut you off? I was on the side of the path - you are completely at fault." He helped himself to the kit and started swabbing his cuts and scrapes.

Jessica: Jess looked up at the ceiling for a moment and prayed for patience. "Both of you were at fault and both of you are very sorry. Now shake hands and everyone's happy."

Jean: "Ugh! Just now! I was, like, working up to it! And you cut me off!" She glared, getting it out in a rush and then realizing what Jess had said.

Scott: "Oh." He raised an eyebrow at Jessica. Women. He hadn't been at fault at all. "Whatever. It's in the past."

Jessica: "Exactly. It doesn't matter and at least neither of you were badly hurt." She put two cups of tea on the table for them with the sugar bowl and a small jug of milk.

Jean: "Sorry," she snarked and then turned away from him. Jean repeated her apology to Jess, but this time it was sincere. "Thanks for the tea... and the help." She worked on cleaning her own wounds.

Jessica: She smiled at Jean, "You're welcome." Collecting her own tea, she joined them at the table.

Scott: "The tea is very nice, thank you again."

Jessica: "Anytime, tea's always a good thing to have." She took a sip from her own cup.

Jean: Making little irritated sounds, she cleaned her cuts, then took a sip of tea, straight. It was hot and she didn't do dairy. Or sugar. ...she missed sugar. And dairy. She huffed.

Jessica: Jess didn't manage to hide the the wrinkled nose at how Jean was taking her tea. Ew.

Scott: Scott also drank his black, wrinkling his lip. It was just plain black. He removed his jacket and shirt and swabbed at his scraped shoulder.

Jean: Jean caught the look from Jess and smiled faintly. "Um... I'm in training... so no sugar or dairy... or, um, caffeine, but oh well on that one." She looked twice when she realized Scott was stripping, her mouth falling open slightly. Really? Right at the kitchen table?

Jessica: "No sugar or dairy sounds like a truely terrible existence." Jess looked at Scott too, "Do you want some help?"

Scott: "Yeah. I can't quite reach my shoulder blade. I can feel there's a cut or something. My shirt was sticking to it, and I'm sure I ripped the scab off."

Jessica: Jess got up from her seat and picked up a swab to clean it up for him.

Jean: Ew! Ewewewewew! For once though she kept her mouth shut and drank her tea. He... didn't look bad at all... for an old guy. But he was still an asshole. She sniffed.

Scott: "Thank you, Jessica." He bandaged his arm and his cheek. "I think I'm good."

Jessica: "You're welcome." She smiled at him, "You're quite good with the first aid there."

Jean: "Well, thanks for the warm-up, but I think I should leave you two alone, like, clearly," Jean said, getting up from her chair and gesturing behind her toward the door.

Scott: Scott snorted at Jean. "Never seen a guy shirtless before?" He half-turned to Jessica. "Thanks. I took a course to be certified for coaching. I'd better get going, too. I'm opening the shop today."

Jean: "Not one your age," she shot back as she went for the door.

Jessica: "Hey, I'm supposed to be already at work but I think helping wounded folks at the side of the road is more important." She raised an eyebrow at Jean's remark. Wow.

Scott: "One day you'll be my age, just remember that," Scott shot back. "And hopefully by then, you'll have grown up." He pulled his shirt and jacket back on. "As your dance hall is by my work, can I bum a ride?"

Jean: "Ugh. Whatever." Jean opened the door herself and checked her bike over one more time. "Sorry I made you late..." She said to Jess as she swung her leg over. Damn, her knees stung! "Thanks again."

Jessica: "It's fine, they won't mind that much. They know how to warm up without me." She followed Jean to the door, remembering her gloves this time. "I usually walk there but I suppose I can take the car this time as we're both running late... and it's freezing."