Read our full Game transcripts here!
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

06/07 Game: Political Powderkeg.

Post by littlebamf »

Nov 23rd

Warlock: Warlock sat back in one of the chairs with his head back, contemplating trying out sleep again. According to his research that is what was expected of one in a lecture hall ...

Elizabeth: Checking her phone, Lizzie saw she had plenty of time before she needed to go back to the city. And she wanted to see this...So, she slipped into the lecture hall, eyeing the screen and took a seat, smoothing down her skirt neatly.

DrMcCoy: Hank greeted the children as they drifted into the room, shifting on his chair by the podium. There was a speaker tonight, all right, but he would appear on the large screen Forge had been so kind to erect.

Sam: Sam took his seat, looking around for Rogue. She said she'd meet him here, and after a busy day he was looking forward to it.

Cessily: Cessily had pulled her legs up onto the chair, sitting cross-legged while hunching over her notebook with a pen tucked between her lips. There still were so many things she wanted to prepare for the Winter Festival, and so little time. She looked up to give a smile and a nod at Dr. McCoy, then turned her head to see Lizzie walk in. "Hey, Liz! Are you back from your work experience thingy?"

Ju: Ju flounced in her long coat, swirling it and giggling. She'd just re-dyed her hair to silver (the amount of time it had taken her for that....) and she was celebrating by dressing as Sephiroth. Only minus the sword. And with a top under the coat. She composed herself outside the lecture hall, checking her knee-high boots, before heading in.

Rogue: Rogue walked in to the lecture hall and smiled at Dr. McCoy as she walked by to find a seat. Apparently something big was happening? Or at least semi-important. She spotted Sam after scanning the seats and smiled at him as she walked over and took the one next to him, setting her hand on his thigh. "Hey, sugah."

Elizabeth: Seeing Cess, she shook her head. "No. I'm going back in a few hours, I needed something from my dorm, that's all."

DrMcCoy: “All right, everyone. Professor Xavier has asked you all here today because we feel it is of the utmost importance as part of your education here we keep you abreast of current events. While even the professor is unsure of the exact nature of the announcement tonight, we believe all of you should be as aware as we are.”

Warlock: Warlock waved at everyone who was comming in before turning to listen to Doctor McCoy.

Sam: "Hey." He smiled and laid his hand over hers before turning to watch the professor.

Jason: Jason claimed a chair and slid into it, taking a quick look around the room to see the others who had thought to show up. Where on earth did that one girl get the time to put together those outfits Jason would never know. He looked up as Dr. McCoy started speaking. Ah, current events. The others would probably get to witness him yelling at the television.

Cessily: Cessily blinked a few times, taking the pen out of her mouth, as Ju walked in. Her roomie was once again dressed in one of her funny outfits, and Cessily had to hold back a giggle. Though, that stuff did actually suit Ju. "Hey, Ju!" She waved at her before turning back to Lizzie. "Ah, I see. Do you have time for a cup of tea before you go again?"

Ju: Ju spotted Cess and smiled, waving. "Roooomie!!" She called, heading in her direction. "Hey Cess! How've you been? And Liz! Hi!"

Elizabeth: She shrugged a little. "Not especially, I'm going to an event at the Hellfire Club so I'll need to get ready. I just wanted to see this really..." she gestured to the screen.

Cessily: "I'm doing fine. As always. How are you?" She grinned at her roomie, looking her up and down in the funny outfit. "That's really cute. What kind of costume is it this time?"

Cessily: Cessily sat up and put the notebook in her lap as Dr. McCoy spoke up, her voice dropping to a whisper. "I wonder what this is all about. There's actually a lot of stuff I still have to take care of. The Festival and all, you know?"

DrMcCoy: “In a few moments, I want you to pay close attention to President Robert Kelly.” Hank attempted a reassuring smile. “While there shall be no quiz at the end, I think you'll want to pay attention.”

Warlock: "Isn't he anti-mutant?" Warlock wondered outloud.

Rogue: Rogue made a face at the mention of President Kelly and let her head rest on Sam's shoulder. "Yup, that'd be him, 'Lock."

Ju: "Sephiroth from Final Fantasy Seven." Ju grinned, plonking next to her and sorting out the glove covering her prostetic hand and moving the fingers of it so that she could lay it on the arm of the chair. "He's a bad guy." She looked at the Doctor. "I know, but it's politics I guess. How've you been?"

Elizabeth: "I think it's going to be pretty important. We wouldn't have been asked to watch this if not..." she looked around, wondering why there wasn't more students around. She shuddered a little, as she considered what this could be about.

Warlock: "Ahh, then what is the purpose of us listening to him? Is he about to make a speech about mutant policy?"

Cessily: Cessily made a face at the screen. "Uhg, not that douchebag again."

Sam: "Ah don't know. Ah haven't heard anythin' about that." He shrugged. "He's doin' an ok job of runnin' the country so far."

Ju: Ju blinked at Cess. "Wow, you must really dislike him." She giggled, blushing a little.

Rogue: "Maybe he's come ta his senses." Rogue giggled when her head got moved by Sam's shrug. "Yeah, 'cept f' tha whole non-mutant stuff."

DrMcCoy: "Cessily, while I don't entirely disagree... 'douchebag?'" He chuckled, but cut off as he heard a speaker kick on.

Elizabeth: She remembered the last time she'd been in a class setting and the topic had been around Kelly. She was pretty sure she'd walked out with Warren.

Ju: "Not sure what this has to do with me, I mean, I'm English so..." Ju tugged on one of her shoulder guards.

Jason: "Heh, senses." Jason really rather doubted that but let the rest of his comment slide as the speakers came on.

Warlock: Warlock blinked slowly, ahh Ju had a good point, and he didn't even know what nationality he was ...

Rogue: "But y'all're in America, sugah. So it might affect how ya live or somethin'."

Cessily: Cessily gave Ju a sheepish smile and shrugged. "Well, I'm sorry. But I really don't like him a lot. I think he's a little creepy."

Elizabeth: "Well you go to school here, you still have to follow American laws and such...Even though it does mean driving on the wrong side of the road..."

Ju: "Oh, don't be sorry, Cessy." Ju smiled. "I don't like politions as a rule."

DrMcCoy: "And what happens to mutants in one nation may effect what happens to them worldwide," he added.

Rogue: "It's tha right side." She grinned at Lizzie and stuck her tongue out. "Technically speakin' anyway."

Elizabeth: "Technically from our perspective," she returned the grin to Rogue and then fixed her attention on the screen.

Ju: "Wrong side. It's why you have tornadoes." Ju poked her tongue out at Rogue before looking at the screen. "Ugh. At least we only have the Queen's Speech once a year."

Cessily: "Yeah, Dr. McCoy is right." Cessily nodded. "He's not exactly doing much to help improve our relations to other humans. I mean, what has he done except talk, talk, talk?" She nodded at Ju. "Yes, most of them just like to hear their own voices."

Cessily: She looked towards the screen and crossed her arms. "In my experience, the people who actually do something to help others and make this world a better place, are the ones you don't see in the media. They either don't demand praise for what they're doing, or they're just ignored." She frowned. "Most politicians just care about their image and the next elections."

PresidentKelly: The screen came to life on CNN, where the plastic-haired newscaster droned on, stalling like the opening act he was. The image of President Kelly, standing before the usual White House press corps, came up. "My fellow citizens," he began. "It is nearly a decade into the 21st century, and our nation is again at a crossroads."

Sam: He gave Rogue's hand a small squeeze, settling in to watch the set. Not really his thing, politics.

Rogue: Rogue cleared her throat and sat up after giving Sam's shoulder a kiss. She turned her hand so she was holding his and crossed her legs toward him.

Cessily: Cessily groaned and tilted her head back. "See, just unbearable talk and big words and meaningless blah-blah," she muttered under her breath. "I wonder what it's about this time."

Jason: Jason leaned forward as he tried to tune out the rest of the students and see what pile of feces was about to spew forth from this address. His expectations weren't exactly high.

Warlock: Warlock cocked his head to the side as he listened to what was being said by the president.

Cessily: She looked between the others with a slightly worried expressions. "Do you think this is going to be bad news? I mean, when Presidents start their announcements like this, then usually the country that we're going to be at war with is revealed next."

Elizabeth: Lizzie made a pained face at what Cess said. "How about we listen then worry about that?"

PresidentKelly: "Over the last several years, our nation -- every nation -- has seen an increasing number of citizens exhibiting a mutation to their genes. We are all familiar with forms of mutation, such as cancer. Not one among us can control the makeup of our genes, after all."

Warlock: Cancer? How nice. Warlock pulled a face.

Elizabeth: No, we can't, so leave us alone...

Ju: "God, it's about the bloody mutants again." Ju rolled her eyes and slumped. "I'm not a cancer."

Jason: "Oh, we're the actual start of the address? I'm almost flattered." Jason's eyes rolled.

Cessily: Her expression darkened a bit more. "Oh wonderful, so this is going to be about us again?" She paused for a second. "Wait, did he just compare us to cancer?"

Sam: "Oh." Well even he had to admit that didn't sound very good. Still, who knew. "Well of course we're not. Maybe he's just makin' a point though about how we're just...normalish."

Jason: "Or that we're diseased and should be put under radiation."

Cessily: Cessily reached over to Ju and gave her roomie a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

Warlock: "Self would think there are better comparisons then cancer, classmateSam."

Rogue: "Yup." Rogue took a breath and shook her head. "He's a fuckin' idiot. But at least he's right 'bout tha fact that we cain't control it. 'Least he understands that."

Ju: Ju blushed a little at the squeeze, smiling at Cess.

PresidentKelly: "But this is a new kind of mutation, one that has been dubbed the 'X' gene. This mutation exhibits in not only physical changes for some, but for some it has caused changes of the very definition of humanity and possibly created the world's largest minority class."

Ju: "Hey!! Isn't that an oxymoron?"

Sam: "Ah see? We're a minority. So we're recognised then, hey?"

Rogue: "Largest minority is an oxymoron. What tha hell is he gettin' at?!"

Elizabeth: "Minority class?" Lizzie narrowed her eyebrows. "So, we're a different class to the rest of the world?"

Cessily: "Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is," she agreed with Ju and nodded. Cessily didn't like at all what he was saying about changing the definition of humanity.

Warlock: "Well ... technically you can have a largest minority, otherwise how could you have the smallest?"

Elizabeth: "Smallest, least important."

Jason: "Hmm, well, I guess we're officially third rate citizens, everyone." Oh this was going to be an absolutely thrilling speech, Jason sighed. "And yeah, we're recognized but I doubt that's going to be a good thing judging by the tone so far."

Cessily: "Is it just me or he is he trying to put us in a separate box than the rest of the world?" She looked around again. "I mean, I can't see this helping our relations with non-mutants."

Sam: "Well, that's not really so. Sometimes they get more protection and rights."

Ju: "So what, we're going to be put into conservation camps and live in caravans now?"

PresidentKelly: "Many of these mutations may be as simple as hair or eye color, but some mutants have exhibited the ability to read minds, to move objects without touching them, or pass straight through solid matter. Some can manipulate the very elements of the earth itself."

Sam: "Like say the equality things for employment where you have to employ people who are disabled and stuff."

Rogue: "No, Ah think ya right, Cess." She smiled at Sam, "That's a nice thought, sugah, but Ah doubt it."

Warlock: "He left out shapeshifting," Warlock said, trying to make a joke.

Elizabeth: Oooh. He had to go bloody call her power. Lizzie shuddered.

Ju: "You forgot plugging into teh intarwebz!!" Ju called out.

Rogue: "He forgot a lot of things..." Rogue kind of liked it that way though.

Cessily: "I somehow doubt it, Sam. I mean, it would be possible with anyone else but him. He pretty much won the elections by using people's fear of mutants."

Jason: Jason chuckled quietly at Sam. "Did your former schools skip over civil rights battles, Mr. Optimstic?"

Cessily: She chuckled dryly. "Yeah, where are the metal people? We're a minority, too."

Sam: "Well no, but if he's already recognisin' it and all...maybe we'll have a better time of it."

Rogue: Rogue rolled her eyes at Jason's comment at her boyfriend and squeezed Sam's hand.

Cessily: "And I don't want to be treated differently than other people," Cessily added with a pout. "I just want to live my life. Like everyone else out there. Why is that such an issue?"

PresidentKelly: "While science works to decipher both the cause and form of these mutations, the role of government in this new age remains the same -- to protect all citizens within its borders." Kelly's voice was drowned out for a moment by questions from the press.

Elizabeth: "He's using the most easily to understand powers that would scare the average listener....." Lizzie shrugged. "What's more worrying than a person that can read your mind or possibly walk through your front door into your house."

Warlock: "Should we email to complain then, classmateJu, say how we feel under-reprisented?" He smiled.

Ju: "Yes!! Power to the walking computers!!" Ju giggled, then blinked at the screen. "Did he just say what I think he did?"

Sam: Sam relaxed. "See? Protection. Ah don't know what you are all so worked up about. We're us citizens, yeah?"

Elizabeth: She sat forward. Protect? How? She had a bad feeling about those words.

Warlock: For some reason 'deportation' flashed across Warlock's mind and he sent a worried glance to the international students.

Elizabeth: "No. We're not citizens, we're the minority class...."

Rogue: "Ah dunno, baby. Don't seem right." She gave him a worried look before turning back to the screen.

Jason: "Not everyone in the room. And he hasn't clarified who needs protection from what just yet."

Cessily: "Lizzie is right. He's using people's fears again. Like, mutants will steal your minds and come into your house. Be afraid, anyone could be one." She shook her head. "Yeah, protecting all citizens. I hope he doesn't forget that this includes us."

PresidentKelly: "We wish to protect both human and mutant citizens, of course, as all of us are Americans. Mutants are our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, and we wish only to help them to remain safely within the mainstream of American society."
Sam: "Minorities are still citizens." He folded his arms. "Ah've got my birth certificate. It don't matter what minority Ah am. Ah'm still a citizen."

Ju: Ju smiled. "Oh. Maybe he isn't so bad, then?" SHe cast a worried glance to Sam. "I'm not an American citizen...."

Warlock: "Oh, well that doesn't sound too bad ... at least he's not talking about concentration camps," Warlock smiled.

Rogue: Rogue watched the President talk and let her face lighten some. "Maybe we'll be ok then."

Elizabeth: "Minorities weren't citizens in the past, not when you look at history...." she bit her lip. "I don't know...I have a bad feeling about this."

Jason: Jason could not at all help snorting at the television. "Or he could be blowing smoke up our asses. 'safely within the mainstream'? And it isn't exactly like anyone who ever suggested concentration camps used them in their opening speeches."

Cessily: Cessily gave Ju a small smile. "Yeah, maybe. But I'm not sure." She nodded. "What Liz said."

PresidentKelly: "Tomorrow morning, with the cooperation of supporters from both major parties, a measure will be introduced both for congressional consideration and for the consideration of the American people in a general vote."

Elizabeth: Measure? She squirmed as all sorts of ideas for this 'measure' ran through her head. "I don't like the sound of that..."

Cessily: Cessily tensed up in her chair. "No idea of that's good or bad, but it sounds important. Looks like they're going to do more than just talk this time." She bit her lip. "And that worries me."

Warlock: Warlock glanced over at Lizzie, then at Jason, why where they so negative?

Sam: "Ah understand y'all have been through some stuff. But Ah think protectin' people is a good thing."

Jason: Jason didn't particularly care for the statement either but waited for the speech to go on, eyebrow raised.

Rogue: "What's he talkin' 'bout? Cain't he just say what it is 'steada callin' it a 'measure'?" She gave Sam a small smile, "Ah do too, but it's hard ta trust a guy like that after what a lot of us have been through."

Sam: He gave Rogue a smile and put his arm around her. "Ah'd be worried if they weren't takin' a stand about protectin' people with all the crap that is goin' on."

Cessily: "I've seen a movie where the governments idea of protecting its citizens was taking their rights away and locking them up so they couldn't hurt themselves."

PresidentKelly: "The question before us is simple -- how do we track those who may manifest this X gene, and how to we know what they can do? Registration."

Ju: "Huh?"

Jason: "...oh what the fuck?" Jason almost yelled that.

Sam: "Yeah, but then movies are crazy. Ah've seen movies where all the dead come to life and eat you. That ain't gonna happen either."

Warlock: "Registration? Well that doesn't sound too bad ..."

Ju: Ju shrugged. "Well, I guess that isn't so bad, right?"

Elizabeth: Regist...."My mother will actually come and shoot me if that happens...." Lizzie's mouth fell open.

Cessily: "Huh?" Cessily blinked. "I already have an id."

Elizabeth: "We're expected to put our names down on one big freak list so they can moniter us and probably also what we can do? That's not so bad?"

Sam: "Well..." He didn't know what to quite say. "Maybe it's just an extra thing. Like what colour your eyes and hair are."

Rogue: Rogue shook her head and snorted, irritated. "Ah don't believe it. Track us?"

Ju: Ju frowned at Lizzie, then shrugged. "Well, it'll be like having your date of birth or adress on your passport, I guess....nothing to be worried about."

Warlock: "Like when you register a birth or marriage self suposses ... that sounds reasonable," he gave Lizzie a look, she was very highly strung wasn't she ...

Elizabeth: She made a face at Ju. "Yeah. Only it isn't. It's never as simple as that when it comes to us."

Ju: "Well....why?"

Jason: "Do you really want to have to be carded for everyone to see what it is you do?"

Rogue: "Registration ain't the word that's botherin' me. It's 'track'. Why in tha hell would they wannat track us?"

PresidentKelly: "Much in the same way every citizen receives a Social Security number, each citizen who carries the X gene will register with the government, so that their rights may be protected."

Ju: Ju smiled. "See? It's not a bad thing at all, really."

Elizabeth: "It's the tracking thing. They want to watch us, what we do. God knows what they want to do with that information but I have some firsthand ideas..."

Warlock: "And what ideas are those, schoolmateLizzie?"

Sam: "With people doin' things like they are - mobbin' innocent folks and stuff, maybe we do deserve a bit more protection? Don't you think?"

Cessily: "Somehow this doesn't make much sense to me." Cessily frowned at the screen. "Why do we need to be registered to get protection? I thought protection is there for every citizen."

Ju: "So?" Ju shrugged. "So long as you don't do anything to call attention to yourself, then hey." She turned to Cess. "Are you okay?"

Elizabeth: She looked over to Cess, hoping she'd get what she was thinking of but didn't want to say....

PresidentKelly: "Each mutant ability will be cataloged, thus furthering the understanding of mutation as well. In the coming weeks, more information will be released outlining this plan of action."

Rogue: Rogue looked over at Lizzie then back at Warlock before turning to Sam. "But shouldn't they just crack down on tha hate groups instead?"

Ju: "Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I left Warcraft for this?" Ju relaxed a little more.

Warlock: Warlock shrugged, he was with Ju here, sounded fine to him.

Elizabeth: She lowered her head, squeezing her eyes shut. They were all but microchipping them and it was fine?

Jason: "Why track down hate groups when they could get our information and possibly use us?" Okay, maybe he was just a good deal more paraoid than the other students but that was just a part of Jason's natural state.

Cessily: "So that means that it will become pretty much public knowledge who's a mutant and who isn't? Where they live and who their families are?" Cessily shook her head.

PresidentKelly: "I know the citizens of this fine nation -- human and mutant alike -- will make the right decision at the polls. In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may he watch over the United States of America." The screen faded to black against the presidential seal.

Sam: "Ah don't know. Maybe they're doin' that too?" He rubbed her knuckles. "You upset darlin'?"

Ju: "I doubt that." Ju smiled at Cess. "They don't release medical details or anything. I guess it'll be like that. Like the sex offender registration in England - that isn't open to the public."

Rogue: She frowned at what he said. "Further understanding? Maybe.." Maybe they could figure out her power. She kept her mouth shut and she looked down as she pulled her hands to her lap to wring them together. "No. Yeah. Ah dunno right now."

Ju: "And that has their addresses and everything on it."

Elizabeth: "This is America. Not England. Here you cna get that sort of information. Megans Law or something."

Jason: "Well, last I checked I didn't diddle any children so I shouldn't have to cough up anything further for public record."

Cessily: She scoffed at the black screen. "I can think of a few people who would just love to have a central file with all mutants and their addresses."

Warlock: "Why would it be public knowledge though, self is sure only those who need access would gain it."

Ju: Ju rubbed Cess' arm. "Well, I could, for one."

Elizabeth: "Because the people would get scared into thinking we're all evil and demand to know if there's a mind reader or a shapeshifter living next door..."

Jason: "Exactly." Jason nodded at Lizzie's response. "The President has made people paranoid enough about us that it might be 'imperative' for everyone to have access to the informaiton."

Rogue: "Ah can, too, Cess. That's what scares me. But then..." She sighed and leaned over, rubbing at her face. "It could help, too."

Sam: "But Ah can see how people are scared too...Ah mean, we can do some pretty crazy things."

Ju: "Well, it isn't yet, right?" Ju shrugged. "I really don't see why we're getting all worked up. It hasn't even been passed yet. Everything'll be fine, it's only a piece of information."

Warlock: Warlock looked down at his hands, "Maybe if this law is passed ... self might be able to use it to find self's family ...?"

Cessily: Cessily smiled softly at Ju, putting her hand on hers. "Just think of all that has happened already. There have been plenty of people who wanted to make use of us before." She glanced over at Lizzie. "And I'm afraid the same can happen again. Those people will just have an easier time finding us if that law is passed."

Elizabeth: "I'm not being used again..." she said tightly.

Ju: Ju blinked. "There have?" She frowned at Cess, then at Liz. "Used? What?"

Elizabeth: "I was conscripted. I'm not going to talk about it, as apparently you've got nothing to worry about, eh?"

Sam: "This is the us! It ain't some backwards country. They won't do that."

Cessily: "Yes. I'm sorry, Liz." Cessily gave her a nod. "Didn't want to bring that up again."

Rogue: "Ah'm scared of that too. Ah don't want them ta get more information on us." She looked up at Sam and reached for his hand again. "Sugah, y'all weren't here last year. Ah got a lot ta tell ya, Ah guess."

Ju: "No. I don't. I don't know what's happened, so why would I be worried?" Ju said tightly. "Is there something I should be worried about?"

Elizabeth: "It's fine," Lizzie shrugged. "And hopefully it won't happen as the thing was a failure...but, the information out there just worries me."

Jason: "What makes here not 'backwards'? I'm fairly certain if Britain has apparently already tested out the possibility and we just heard that speech that something is at least being thought over."

Ju: Ju looked at Cess. "Cessily? Is there something I should know?"

Cessily: "No, it's okay," she told Ju with a lopsided smile. "We're watching out for each other. But there have been people who wanted to hurt us in the past."

Elizabeth: "Plus, last year too, if there had been ready information on mutants...I dread to think..." she rubbed her forehead.

Warlock: Warlock looked up and around at Jason, "We are to be conscripted? Self must have missed that in the speech ..."

Ju: Ju looked down, chewing her lip. "Oh." She said quietly. "Here at the school?"

Jason: "Well I didn't say that and neither did the President but he isn't exactly going to come out and say that right away, is he?"

Cessily: "Yeah, Essex could have just gone from house to house and abducted mutants." Cessily squeezed Ju's good hand. "Well, yes. There had been a bomb, and files about us stolen. Then, they took several of us to experiment on them."

Warlock: Warlock scratched his head, "Arn't you being a little paranoid, classmateJason?"

Elizabeth: "No one is going to be conscripted, hopefully. It's happened. That's all."

Ju: "Bomb?" Ju's eyes widened. "THere was a bomb - and experiments?! Here?"

Jason: "A bit." Jason shrugged.

Elizabeth: She winced at the meantion of those being taken and shut her eyes.

Sam: "Ah think everyones all just in a tizzy about this. This is what this law is supposed to do - protect us about this."

Warlock: "Wait .... there was a bomb? A bomb!? Why were we not informed?" He turned around to look at the girls.

Rogue: Rogue sucked in a deep breath of air and closed her eyes. "No, they didn't experiment here. They kidnapped some of us. An' kept some when we tried ta go get tha others." She clenched her jaw as she thought of Bobby and Rae and Remy.

Cessily: Cessily bit her lip, looking at Ju. "Yes, that's true."

Warlock: "Kidnapped!?" Warlock was horrified, "But we were told that this place was safe for us!"

Ju: "But- I mean-" Ju looked around. "I was told - Professor Xavier told us I'd be safe here!"

Rogue: Oh shit. "Well, has anythin' happened ta y'all yet?"

Cessily: "I'm afraid there's no perfectly safe place for us," she told them, glancing down.

Jason: "Suddenly I feel my paranoia is more justified than usual."

Warlock: Warlock rubbed his chin, "Self finds this ... disturbing ..."

Sam: "But this is why we need protection. And who's the best to do that?"

Ju: "No, but- oh god. Mum and Dad will wanna bring me home if they-" Ju looked down, chewing her lip. She'd gone pale. "We weren't told anything...."

Cessily: "But if they really are going to register our information, then we're safer here than anywhere else." Cessily tried to give them a reassuring smile. "Here we have each other and can look out for our friends. That's way safer than being on your own."

Elizabeth: She swallowed a lump in her throat as she heard all the talk about the previous year, trying to block it out. Least she wasn't crying...

Warlock: "On the other hand, a larger target is easier to hit ..." Warlock rubbed his chin again ... this was very disturbing.

Jason: "Though while we're all grouped together it probably also is that much more of a tempting target."

Rogue: "We're best ta protect ourselves. Nothin's gonna save us if people like Es- him get a hold of our information." But then, there still was the fact that they might be able to figure out her mutation and help her. "But, this could be good. Especially f' people who wanna know more 'bout their powers... He said they'd try ta understand 'em, right?"

Ju: "But-" Ju slid a little closer to Cess. "Xavier should have still told us, I mean....what if something happens?" She looked at her. "Though I guess....in that way, it is okay, right?"

Sam: "Yeah." He nodded to Rogue. "Ah mean, it's better bein' with others that could understand and help you out."

Elizabeth: "If we were in any immediate danger, Xavier would be honest with us..." Lizzie opened her eyes again. "But, in the long term, this could still prove risky."

Cessily: "In any case, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than here. Regardless of what happens. Here are my friends. And I know that we care for each other." Cessily put an arm around Ju's shoulder and held her a little. "Don't worry too much, okay? That's why we formed the teams and all that."

Elizabeth: "I mean, for once since mutants first existed, we might in an odd way benefit. But this sort of information in the wrong hands...?"

Warlock: Conscription and ... experiments? ... Military ones .... Warlock grimanced and scrubbed at his head, that .... that rang a bell. It did.

Sam: He felt lost and overwhelmed. "But it's the government...they don't do stuff like that."

Jason: "It's the government. They do stuff like that all the time."

Elizabeth: "Of course they do."

Ju: Ju blushed again. SHe was doing that a lot. "Well....I don't want to go just yet. I mean, I made some good friends." Won't tell Mum and Dad yet then.

Rogue: "Or so they want us ta think." She gave his hand a squeeze.

Warlock: "Like Roswell ... wait what?" Warlock blinked and looked up, "Did self say that?"

Cessily: "Maybe they don't intend to do such things, but it still happens. Just think how many people would love to see this information made public."

Rogue: Damnit, where was Vic when she needed some one to have a possible shit fit with. And alcohol.

Cessily: "Yes, I wouldn't want to see you leave, as well." Cessily gave Ju a smile. "And should ever anything happen, I'd be there to watch out for you. I mean, that's what a good roomie and friend is there for, yes?"

Sam: "Ah think y'all are just thinkin' a lot of them crazy stories that people tell like the government coverin' up aliens and all that."

Sam: * is true

Ju: "Mmm-hmm." Ju nodded decisively. "I wouldn't want to leave you either. Got to have someone look after you, right?"

Warlock: "Roswell is aliens right?" Warlock scrubbed his head, he didn't think it was a headache since he couldn't feel pain but it was ... strange ...

Jason: Jason gave Warlock a strange look at the Roswell mention. Now who was paranoid? "Yes, that it is. Don't know about aliens but there is enough 'crazy stories' that are accurate to make it pretty obvious that when the government starts taking more interest in us that it might not be the best thing for us."

Cessily: "Absolutely!" Cessily grinned and nodded at Ju. "I wouldn't feel a lot less safe if you left." She turned to look at Warlock. "Are you alright? What's with Roswell? That's the alien place, right? From X-Files."

Sam: He gave Rogue a worried look. "Ah don't want you gettin' hurt. You believe this will do that?" He asked her quietly.

Warlock: "No ... negative it's jus' ... Self might remember something? Maybe self read about it in the library ..."

Jason: "Maybe you had a close encounter with an extra shiny weather balloon."

Cessily: "Really?" Cessily raised her eyebrows and beamed at him. "That's a good sign, isn't it?"

Rogue: "It's a big possibility, babe," she responded in the same low tone. "An' Ah don't want y'all gettin' hurt either. Think Ah'd kill anybody who tried ta touch y'all. But... It could help, too."

Rogue: "Ah'm really torn, sugah."

Warlock: "Perhaps ... but ...." Warlock sat back and looked up at the cealing blankly ... "Negative ... it's gone ... self aplogises for the off-topic comments ..."

Elizabeth: "Me too...Just...too much bad experience." Lizzie said dully, agreeing with Rogue.

Sam: "Yeah. Ah think maybe people are just really worried cause of all the bad things that happened to y'all. Ah think this is gonna help end all that."

Cessily: "Aww, I'm sorry," she told 'Lock. "Well, if you think that you had a memory there, maybe it would help if you read about it again. Or watch something on TV about it."

Ju: Ju relaxed back, letting everyone talk over her. She decided not to let the whole bomb thing worry her - after all, it wouldn't happen again, right? - and stared at the ceiling.

Rogue: "Ta be honest, Ah wouldn't be so worried if we had gotten rid of that bastard. But he got away. So Ah am."

Warlock: "Affirmative, self thinks that's a good idea, schoolmateCess," he lifted up his arm and changed it to his technorganic form, noting how the bright yellow lines had changed to a rather duller blue, "Self needs to recharge."

Elizabeth: "Heh. I'd be much happier if we'd gotten him too..." she clenched her fists.

Cessily: "Ah, okay." She smiled at Warlock. "Uhm, enjoy."

Sam: He carefully ran a hand over her hair. "Well maybe they can find him for us. If we told the government all what happened. They have a lot more resources to get him now, don't they?"

Jason: "...which bastard are we talking about here?" Jason wondered if he should be paranoid about people being conscripted or people being experimented on.

Jason: "Maybe they'll find him and give him a job and a research grant too."

Rogue: She gave Lizzie a tight smile. "Maybe we will one day, huh?" Rogue turned to Sam with a small smile, "Yeah, maybe. Or maybe Jason's right. Ah just don't know anymore."

Warlock: "It is not very enjoyable, but it is nesessary," Warlock shrugged and stood up, "Self will see you all later on in classes then."

Cessily: "Ugh, I don't really want to think about all that. I remember it well enough."

Ju: Ju huffed. She was bored now, the others talking about something she didn't understand. "Cess, I'm gonna go back on Warcraft. If you want me I'm in our room, okay?" She smiled and leant over, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Elizabeth: "When we do, no one had better hold me back..."

Rogue: "Hell no. Ah'll hold him down."

Cessily: "Okay, see you. And have fun." She gave Ju a hug. "I'll see you in a bit."

Elizabeth: "Bye you two," Lizzie put in as she saw the first years get to up go.

Ju: Ju smiled and waved, uncurling her fake hand's fingers. "Later!"

Elizabeth: "I'd appreciate that, just...not too held down, eh?" grinning a little evilly, she rubbed the back of her neck, playing with her piercing.

Cessily: "In any case, there's very little we can do, anyway." Cessily put one foot on a free chair in front of her. "As usual."

Jason: "Yes, I suppose a mass exodus to Canada would only delay things, wouldn't it?”

Sam: "Well Ah don't think things are as grim as all that. But we can lobby and all that just as much as the next person, right? And we can look out for each other." He punctuated that with squeezing Rogue tighter. "So...anythin' else is just worryin' for the sake of worryin'."

Elizabeth: "Well I already said what happened to me, and with the experimentation thing my boyfriend ended up braindead, so I think I'm allowed to indulge in a little worrying," she gave Sam a lopsided smile. "And looking out for each other is what we do best..."

Cessily: Her smile returned as she looked back at Sam. "Yes, you're right. I think we should do something. Maybe give a statement that our privacy is important to us. And that we're afraid that public knowledge about our mutation might lead to only more discrimination towards us."

Sam: "Well maybe more information will make people feel better." He didn't know what to say to Lizzie really. "Maybe folks are just scared of what they don't know?"

Rogue: "Yeah, well Ah'm good at worryin' f' tha sake of it. One of mah special talents." She gave him a small smile and squeezed his hand back. "Won't let nothin' happen ta ya."

Jason: "Well I doubt very much that knowing about what they're already afraid of will exactly fill them with warm thoughts."

Elizabeth: "And so knowing we can read minds, fly, control fire and ice...that'll make them feel so much better?" she rolled her shoulders.

Cessily: "Hey, I'm a professional when it comes to worrying." She chuckled. "Though, I don't think that being concerned is out of place here."

Sam: "Well...but maybe they just need to see we're people too?"

Cessily: She nodded at Sam. "Yes, that's pretty much what all of this is about, if you ask me. People are afraid of the unknown. That mutants might secretly live next door to them. And so they want to do this registration thing to appease their fears."

Jason: "But 'better the devil you know' only works if you're not the devil in question."

Cessily: "If they even want to see us that way," she remarked grimly. "I mean, there's still racism in the world. The hatred and fear is still raging in some places. And all those people are arguing about is the colour of their skin, or what god they pray to."

Cessily: She sighed. "Sorry for being so pessimistic."

Sam: "Yeah. There is always that. But there are laws too, that protect people a bit at least. Now if we're protected by them it's better than nothin'."

Elizabeth: "It's sometimes hard not to be..."

Rogue: "No, y'all got a right ta be, Cess."

Jason: "It keeps you from being surprised by how badly things turn out later on."

Cessily: "I don't mind laws protecting me and my rights," she said, nodding. "That's all fine and well. After all, it's the governments job to protect us. But I don't see why they need to register and track us for that."

Elizabeth: "Exactly. It's a bit...You have to wonder, be it for good or bad."

Sam: "Maybe cause it's not that easy to tell. Ah mean, if someone is black, you know that right? But you look at me...and how do you know?"

Jason: "By probes and violations."

Rogue: "Which keeps ya protected. It's our right ta keep it a secret."

Elizabeth: "Yes and look at how blacks were treated before Martin Luther King..."

Cessily: "Yes, that's right. But you don't have to fear being discriminated against either then," she told Sam. "You can hide it, so no one will treat you differently, because they don't know that you're a mutant. But they will know when this law is passed. I'm pretty sure of that. And then things will be even worse for those who could go hidden so far."

Sam: He gave Jason a smirk. "Ah think you have a facination about these probes."

Jason: Jason looked just a bit shocked that it was Sam who suggested that. "Well, you never know."

Rogue: Rogue arched an eyebrow at Sam and had to laugh a bit. "Ah cain't believe y'all're corrupted already."

Cessily: Cessily giggled a bit, as well. "Hey, how long did you think his thoughts would stay pure with us around?"

Rogue: "Ah just wonder how corrupted Ah can make his body next." She winked at Cess and avoided looking directly at Sam so she wouldn't laugh.

Sam: He gave a slighly shy smile at the gentle teasing, but then blushed a shocked red at Rogue's words.

Elizabeth: Lizzie tried not to say 'awww' at Sam's blush. Bless.

Jason: Jason had to laugh at Sam's coloring. "I think if we need to seriously worry about public relations we should use Sam as a poster child. People will forget that he can propel himself through their homes."

Cessily: Cessily covered her mouth with her hand to hide the big grin Rogue's words and Sam's blush brought to her face.

Sam: He desperately latched onto Jason's words. "Yeah. Well. Ah'm just like anyone else right?"

Cessily: "Oh, that's a good idea." She nodded. "He's so cute and harmless, people would instantly lose all fear of us. Hey, Rogue, would it be okay if we borrowed him for a while?"

Jason: "Well, except for the heightened ability to inflict property damage."

Rogue: "Depends. Ain't nothin' sexual right?"

Cessily: Cessily put on a mock-pout. "Why is that the first thing people think of when I ask them for a favour?" She shook her head. "No, but maybe we could do something public to show people that we're all really nice."

Elizabeth: "Sell cookies?"

Sam: "Ah ain't a girl scout!" he protested.

Jason: "I don't think people would trust me if I were to come up to a door selling cookies somehow."

Rogue: She grinned and pinched Cess's lower lip a bit. "'Course ya ain't a girl scout, baby. But y'all're tha most 'pure' an' 'gentlemanly' guy we got."

Elizabeth: "And yet again the power of English wit fails..." Lizzie sighed. "Oh you should know me by now.."

Cessily: "Well, something like that, yeah." She shrugged awkwardly. "Maybe not selling cookies. But I work in a homeless shelter from time to time and bring them food and cook in their kitchen. Something like that."

Rogue: Rogue had a proud grin grow on her face as she thought over her last words. "An' ya all mine."

Sam: He nodded. "Well that's a good idea. Ah like helpin' folks out." His other blush hadn't faded completely, but he managed to not add to it as he looked at his girlfriend. "Yeah, Ah suppose that's true too."

Rogue: "Y'all're tha poster child f' good behavior. Might change that later, but might be good ta take advantage of it now, huh?" She kissed him through her hand.

Sam: "Nah. Ah'm always gonna be well behaved. Mah momma raised me better than that." He knew what she was implying though, aand that made him think that maybe he shouldn't be thinking about those sorts of things with this group looking at him. There was embarrassment and then there was embarrassment.

Rogue: Rogue smiled, "She did raise ya well. Gonna miss ya when ya go home f' tha weekend." She looked around at the others. "So... volunteerin' or somethin'?"

Cessily: "Hey, I was also raised to be always nice and friendly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I mean, there's being bad as in being rude, and there's being bad in the fun sense." She winked at him. "I think Rogue is implying the latter." Cessily looked between them. "Yes, that's what I had in mind. I think we should tell the others and then brainstorm for ideas."

Elizabeth: Lizzie pulled her phone out, checking the time again, half listening to Cess. She wasn't sure what she thought about it, though it certainly couldn't hurt. She was just too pessimistic...

Jason: "I think Rogue means to sully our poster child." Jason tsked and shook his head. He decided not to even comment on the likelihood of anything from the proposed brainstorming session having any impact at all. People's minds weren't likely to be made up by them when the possible opposition had fear to pander to.
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Hooo boy. That one's going to be interesting.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I'm just going Heee Mutant Registration Act!