What if...? Here There Be Dragons...

A section for all the stories we can't tell within the game, but still kick ass! Anything goes!

What if...? Here There Be Dragons...

Postby Svartfreja » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 pm

"They've been gone how long?!" The voice carried down the hall. "Why the hell didn't anyone wake me up?!" The owner of the voice was exasperated. "Oh don't give me that crap, Corrine. You know exactly whose fault it is." There was the sound of a chair scraping across the floor. "Where is he?"

The 'he' in question was a Human called Merlin. At least, that was his name. But most just called him 'crazy pants' or other things not so flattering. It hadn't always been this way. Once, Merlin had been a very highly respected Mage; a master of water magic. Then, one day, he'd made a collection of potions to confuse his memories in order to protect a prophecy and he'd never been the same since.

Though he had eventually restored his memories, the damage had been done and he was now nuttier than squirrel poo. Merlin's appearance varied from day to day. Occasionally he looked normal; dressed in blue like most people from his element, his blue eyes bright and his blond hair neatly combed. But, most of the time, he looked like a rather eccentric old man with absolutely no dress sense. His outfits ranged from waders and a frock coat to a waistcoat and summer dress; his hair resembling a fluffy white cloud that had been forced through several hedges.

Today was one of his mad days and he was sporting a top hat and tails over board shorts and some flippers. He was also carrying on a conversation with a snail he had found in his morning cup of tea. The door to his room/nest/man-cave/experimental workshop banged open and Merlin yelped in surprise, taking cover behind his snail friend. The owner of the exasperated voice stood in the doorway.

Matthew was a fair bit taller than Merlin and wore mostly red because his element was fire. His hair was an untidy mass of dark curls and his green eyes were narrowed on the Human and his snail. Matthew was a Half-Elf and he had long since lost all respect for the name the Mage bore. This was chiefly because Merlin left a trail of accidental destruction everywhere he went.

"It was him!" Merlin proclaimed, pointing at the snail.

Matthew raised an eyebrow, "I doubt that very much."

"You gave me away!" Merlin threw the snail back into his teacup.

Matthew rolled his eyes. It was going to be one of those days. He looked out into the hall; "Someone find Kio!"
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Re: What if...? Here There Be Dragons...

Postby Svartfreja » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:22 am

The missing people were just coming round from their unexpected trip. Two green shapes and one red shape untangled themselves from each other. One green shape and the red shape, both female, got to their feet and looked around while the other green shape lay on his back frowning at the sky. "Nia," he said, after a long silence, turning his head to look at the woman in green, "Can you please please explain to me why I let Arthur talk me into keeping Merlin around..."

"Because you're an idiot." Nia supplied helpfully as she checked her weapons were intact. All three of the accidental tourists were Elves. Nia, like Jack (though he was half Human), was a Wood Elf and she was a warrior. In fact, she was a General in the Wood Elf army and also a member of the Royal Guard. It was therefore her job to look after Jack. Jack was the Wood Elf king but he'd been raised for the first 20 years of his life on Earth with no knowledge of his heritage or that he was the nephew of the legendary King Arthur. A fact he was regretting at this time.

Jack merely nodded in agreement to Nia's reply. "We're going to have words when I get home."

"Yeah, yeah. We believe you," the woman in red replied, though her tone suggested the opposite. Sarinel was formally a Royal Guard like Nia, however, she worked for the Fire Elf royal family and the rules where she came from were more strict than those that the Wood Elves lived by. Sarinel had adapted well to life with the Wood Elves and was now used to their laid back attitude to the command structure. The fact that she was no longer a Royal Guard helped, as did the fact that she was in a relationship with the Fire Elf king - Matthew.

Like Matthew's, Sarinel's hair was a mass of dark curls but hers was long and usually styled in an elaborate series of braids - a style popular in her homeland and one that was becoming increasingly popular with the Wood Elves. Her eyes were brown and saw more than most people realised - Sarinel was a Seer. She was also an extensively trained herbalist and healer and one of the best trackers in the Wood Elves' mountain home.

Nia's training lay solely in the arts of battle and hunting. Her auburn hair was often cut short (something which frequently horrified other Elven women) and her sharp green eyes were constantly searching for danger or possible escape routes. She was also well known for being one of the few Elven women that wore trousers. She was famous even among the other races for being an excellent warrior, with an unblemished record in single combat and she had trained alongside Jack's father.

Jack very much took after his father. They looked very alike, had similar mannerisms, were both natural born diplomats and both found the day-to-day life of being a king incredibly boring. His father had found it so boring he'd disappeared off to Earth for several hundred years, leaving his younger brother to take up the crown in his absence. Jack avoided work whenever he was able so, despite his protestations about Merlin's continued presence in the mountain, he rather enjoyed the distraction. Like all Wood Elves, Jack's eyes were green and they currently focused on the fair weather clouds overhead while a breeze tried unsuccessfully to obscure his view with his short brown hair.

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Svartfreja » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 am

Meanwhile, Matthew's request had been answered and Kio had arrived. Kio shared elements with Merlin so he was more inclined to pay attention to her. Plus, Kio was generally extremely perky, enjoyed hugs, and was everyone's friend. Her pale blonde hair was usually very simply styled because it was hard for her to sit still for long enough to do anything more, her attention easily distracted. Her attire was equally as simple despite her position as Queen of her people as Kio liked to be outside climbing trees and chasing adventure. But Kio was unique so far among the Elves as she had learned how to tap into the other three elements that she hadn't been born under - an ability that had been lost for a very long time.

Most would probably, therefore, consider this task a waste of her talents but Kio found Merlin utterly hilarious so she absolutely didn't mind. After Jack and Matthew, Kio was the youngest ruling member of a Royal family, though she had a good three centuries on both of them. Indeed, neither Jack nor Matthew were yet considered adults in Elven society being far short of the 500 year mark but Kio was arguably much more naive. It was this child-like quality and her ability to find the joy in the simplest of things that made her perfect for dealing with Merlin's shenanigans.

Matthew explained the situation to Kio in the hallway then followed her back into Merlin's rooms where the Mage in question was still taking cover - this time in a fort he had constructed out of books and the odd shoe. He was currently brandishing a limp piece of celery in what he obviously thought was a threatening manner.

"Hello, Merlin!" Kio said brightly, "Oooh are we playing forts? Can I come in?"

This turn of events confused Merlin somewhat. He looked between Kio and Matthew, "Is he coming in?"

"No. I don't know what you've got in there." Matthew eyed the fort warily.

Kio glanced at Matthew, "Well I guess that's your answer." She gave Merlin a smile.

Merlin lowered his celery and went to open the 'door' (a piece of cardboard with 'KEEP OUT' and 'WARNING. KELPIES' written on it). He flourished a bow as Kio entered and closed the door behind her.

Kio took a seat on the floor and waited for Merlin to join her. Once he was settled, Kio turned to him and spoke gently, "So... why are we in a fort today?"

Merlin heaved a sigh, "I did a thing..."

"And what was the thing?" She gently patted his knee.

"I made some people go away..."

"And where did you make them go?"

Merlin leaned very close to Kio (so close his top hat fell off) and whispered: "I don't know."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Svartfreja » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:19 pm

"Okay." Jack said, finally sitting up, "I suppose we need to establish where the hell we are. Thoughts?" he looked up at Nia.

"This place feels wrong," Nia frowned, "I think we might be on Earth."

Jack groaned but Sarinel seemed to perk up at the thought of adventure. "Should we look for signs of civilisation or avoid it?" she asked, offering Jack a hand.

Jack accepted the help up and dusted himself off, "I don't know..." he looked around them. It was very green here.

"I think we should at least see what we're dealing with," Nia suggested, "It has been some time since anyone was here." As she finished speaking, her ears caught a feint sound and she turned her head to look in its direction as Sarinel did likewise.

"Something's coming," Sarinel explained to Jack who had less sensitive ears than they did thanks to his Human half.

Jack squinted in the direction they were looking, "Don't see anything..." he didn't hear it either so he had to trust them. But then... something didn't look right about the sky. "Is the air... wiggling?" he couldn't think of a better word to describe it.

"There's heat," Sarinel clarified, zeroing in on the location with her magic, "But the source is invisible...." Fortunately, fire being the element of change, she could do something about that. In the air and travelling toward them, an object appeared. "What is that?"

"That is a plane." Jack informed her, "A really cool plane that turns invisible." The plane slowed as it neared them, then hovered a short distance away. "Awesome, it hovers too!" Jack was impressed until he registered that fancy planes probably spelled government or military. He surreptitiously stepped behind Nia.

Nia raised an eyebrow at him then refocused on the strange metal thing in the sky as it lowered to the ground.

Pleasedon'tbeAmerican. Pleasedon'tbeAmerican. Pleasedon'tbeAmerican.... the mantra repeated in Jack's head. A ramp at the rear of the plane lowered.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Svartfreja » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Matthew was a hundred percent sure he was getting a migraine. Even though he was also a hundred percent sure this was impossible. He was now back in his office with a cup of coffee. Kio sat beside him on the sofa and, opposite them across the coffee table, sat Jack's father, Sigurd (though he preferred to go by 'Simon' these days).

"I'm sure Kio can trace them," Simon was saying, "Merlin's a mage. They can't have gone that far."

Matthew fixed him with a look, "Oh sure. He couldn't possibly be powerful enough to yank four people he's never met from one planet to another." (This was a sore point for Matthew having been one of those for people.)

"That was probably a fluke... or fate," Simon said in an attempt to shoo the sarcasm monster away.

"Fluke, my ass," Matthew muttered.

"He's right, though..." Kio tried, "I probably could..."

"That's not the point," Matthew frowned, "I know how those spells work. You'd have to go to wherever they are. What if you can't get back?"

Kio pulled a face.

"You know..." Simon said thoughtfully, "There is one person we know that can go anywhere she likes and really wants to be fired..."

"Oh no..." Matthew could see where this was going.

"I think that's a great idea!" Kio bounced happily, "She likes meddling!"

"She likes food," Matthew corrected.

"And interfering," Simon reiterated, "It's her favourite thing. And she can find her charges anywhere. She's our best bet."

Matthew groaned, "Okay. I'll contact Pyra and get her to pass the message on."

"In the mean time... I guess I'll take over Jack's duties..." Simon didn't sound at all pleased at the prospect.

"I think I'll go and keep an eye on Merlin," Kio got to her feet, "Just in case of any more accidents...."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Svartfreja » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:39 pm

A pair of booted feet appeared at the top of the ramp and made their way down, revealing legs and the rest of a female body along the way, topped off by a head of blonde hair. Both Nia and Sarinel watched the woman closely, the way she carried herself suggested military training. Nia's hand rested on the hilt of one of her blades.

Carol took in the sight in front of her as she exited the jet and an eyebrow raised. "Uh... you guys get lost on the way to a Renaissance Festival...?"

Oh shit. American. Jack just about managed not to go with his impulse to yell 'don't shoot me!' but only because the thought train got derailed by something shiny. "Nooo... but if there's one nearby, can you give us directions? Because I hear they're awesome and not a bit historically accurate."

"So... why are you dressed like that?" She looked them over in their bizarre attire. Some interesting colour choices and a whole lot of brown leather.... Were those weapons real?

"Why are you dressed like that?" Jack countered, once again seized by the impulse to yell 'don't shoot me'.

Carol looked down at her SHIELD uniform and shrugged. He had her there, she supposed. "Yeah, okay.... so.... are you lost or something?"

"You could say that..." Jack glanced between Nia and Sarinel before refocusing on the blonde, "This is going to sound crazy..."

-

It is at this point where I would like to invite players in the RP that might be reading this to join in! Either already seated on the jet returning from some heroing or at the school when Carol arrives with her strange company. If you would be interested in joining the shenanigans, let me know - I would be delighted to include you!

Sarinel (aka Anna Silk)
Nia (some randomer)
Jack (aka Nick McHale)

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Return to What If??