Christmas 2017: The Almost-Drakes

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Christmas 2017: The Almost-Drakes

Post by Slarti »

<Paige> With the snow falling gently out the window, Paige flipped through her fabric swatches again and again from her seat. She glanced out the window, then back to the swatches. She still couldn't decide on the wedding colors, and it was driving her crazy.

<Paige> She even debated on her signature color. Did she have to pick pink? Would she look back later and hate that she hadn't picked it. She ran her hand through her blonde hair, frustrated, and wishing they could just elope.

<Bobby> Bobby came home early, Ripley out cold in his arms, and quickly realized he had a problem. How to get in. Shifting the sack of toddler, he managed to knock. Shave and a hair cut. He hummed the last two bits.

<Paige> Giggling, Paige tossed the swatches onto the bed and got to her feet, moving to the door. Why was he knocking? Once the door was opened, she knew right away. "Awww," she cooed softly and moved aside so he could get inside.

<Bobby> "She's sooo out." He whispered with a grin, moving past her, then pausing to give her a kiss. "I'm gonna put her in bed."

<Paige> Paige grinned and stole another kiss. "Ok," she whispered. "I'll help." She went ahead of him, pulling up the covers for the baby.

<Bobby> Bobby took off her shoes, happy for once that Yoda had the good sense to be quiet when he came waddling into Rip's room wagging his tail.

<Paige> Distracted, Paige bent down to scoop up Yoda in her arms, snuggling him and petting him.

<Bobby> He gave Ripley a kiss on the forehead and tucked back her blonde hair, then grinned at Paige and mimed tiptoeing out.

<Paige> Tiptoeing out silently, Yoda secure in her arms, Paige let him down only once she was safely back into her and Bobby's room.

<Bobby> "Whew, she was pooped." Now that he was safely out of the room and with the door closed, he waited for Paige to drop the pooch and then grabbed her for a dipkiss. "Mwwaaaa!"

<Paige> Giggling midkiss, Paige wrapped her arms securely around him. "Future husband!"

<Bobby> "Future wifey!" He kissed her nose, then kissed her again, more thoroughly.

<Paige> She smiled in the kiss, running her fingers through his blonde hair. "Have I told you today that I love you? If not... I love you." She kissed him again, deeply.

<Bobby> When they came up for air, he grinned and set her on her feet. "And I love you." Bobby kissed the tip of her nose. "How was your day?"

<Paige> "Weeeelllll.... Bobbyless.... so super sad," she teased, giggling. "No it was actually really productive. I've been trying to decide on our wedding colors. I'm stuck."

<Bobby> "Wedding colors?" Images of pink and pinker danced through his head and he scrubbed his hand through his hair. "Yeah?"

<Paige> "Yeah..." she left him to move to the bed, picking up the fabric swatches. "I really only know one of the colors."

<Bobby> "Pink?" He laughed and followed her, looking over her shoulder.

<Paige> "Actually.... no." She pulled out a dark blue, almost a navy. "It... reminds me of you." She told him, turning to see his face.

<Bobby> "Oh... wow, well..." Bobby grinned, taking the swatch. "It's very... deep sea ice. But what about your pink, babe?"

<Paige> "The lighter blues were too... baby blue. I didn't want people getting any ideas," her face flushed. "And it's a strong color. I like it." She smiled, tucking blonde hair behind her ear. "I don't know... do I need pink?"

<Bobby> "You need pink, Paige!" He looked at her, incredulous. "You're my pink, pink Paigey!"

<Paige> "Ye-yeah?" She asked, looking up at him with a smile. "Your pink, pink Paigey?"

<Bobby> "Yeah... of course, baby." He smoothed back her hair and gave her a soft kiss.

<Paige> Smiling in the kiss, Paige wrapped her arms around his neck. Once the kiss was broken, Paige rested her forehead against Bobby. "Pink and blue. It really fits us, doesn't it?"

<Bobby> "Girl and boy, boy and girl, pink and blue, ice and... princess." Bobby laughed.

<Paige> "You know... Princess Aurora had a pink AND a blue dress," Paige pointed out, dropping her arms so she could look through the swatches for a suitable pink.

<Bobby> This swatch thing was kind of fun, and he sat on the bed and started picking through them. He found a purple one and placed it on top of his head.

<Paige> Paige giggled and sat down beside him, plopping an orange one on top of her head.

<Bobby> "Ooooh, no, this looks better there then." He took the purple and put it with hers. "It's Halloween!"

<Paige> "Boo!" Paige pounced on him with laughter.

<Bobby> "ARGH!" He remembered at the last moment to keep his voice down due to sleeping child and started giggling, pulling her over with him.

<Paige> She shrieked quietly, falling over with him. "I'm terrifying!" She tickled him.

<Bobby> "You are! The terrifying pink Paigey monster!" He laughed harder, wriggling when she hit a sensitive spot under his ribs.

<Paige> "And my captive!" She grinned down at him. "And I know just what to do with you!"

<Bobby> "Reaaaaally?" He grin turned dirty and he wagged his brows, grabbing her waist to pull her close.

<Paige> She grinned, biting her lip as she was pulled. "Yeeeeeees." she leaned down onto him, kissing him lightly.

<Bobby> Bobby cupped the back of her head, fingers stroking and tangling in the blond curls. He returned the kiss, playful at first and then more passionately. Colors. For their wedding. Making a sound in the back of his throat, he smiled and squeezed her tight with his other hand.

<Paige> Paige slid one hand to the base of his neck, getting as close to him as she could. It helped that he was holding her so tightly. She used her other hand to trace over the muscles on his arm, unable to stop her smile.

<Bobby> When he came up for air, he brushed his nose against hers. "I think we squished your little color patches..."

<Paige> "They are cloth. I think they'll live," she giggled at him, nestling into the crook of his neck.

<Bobby> "Well, good." He kept petting his hair and enjoyed the snuggly Paigey. "So... pink and blue... does that mean I wear a blue tux? Or still black?"

<Paige> "Actually... I think it would look really good to have you and Rogue in navy blue. But... that would mean.... does Sebastian have to wear pink then!?"

<Bobby> "Ha! Yes, absolutely. Pink tux with ruffles. Give him a train and a bouquet." He picked up a pillow and cackled into it.

<Paige> "Oh i couldn't do that!" Paige laughed at him, whacking him with a pillow. "Bobby!"

<Bobby> "Why not? He'd look fabulous!" Bobby flopped his wrist at her and kept cackling, ducking away from the pillow.

<Paige> "So mean! I'll get you!" Paige laughed and attacked, whacking at him gently with the pillow.

<Bobby> He assumed the position - fetal - still giggling. It was funny, dammit!

<Paige> Paige changed her assault to kisses on his neck.

<Bobby> That made Bobby uncurl quickly and roll back to wrestle his wife to be into submission.

<Paige> She resisted just a little, looking up at him with a smile once she was the one captured, face flushing red.

<Bobby> "Hi." He grinned down at her.

<Paige> "I think you won," she pointed out, still smiling at him.

<Bobby> "Oh... I most definitely... absolutely... completely won." He kissed her nose. "So, pink tux it is!"

<Paige> "Nooo!" She laughed at him, wriggling her nose. "I guess he'd have to be in navy too. It would look weird otherwise!"

<Bobby> "Fiiiine," he huffed. "Pink tie." Wait, did that mean he had to wear one too? His own nose wrinkled.

<Paige> "Yay!!! My Bobberz compromised!" She wrapped her arms around him to pull him to her.

<Bobby> Oh well, he supposed a pink tie wouldn't hurt him. "Yay, look at me being all diplomatic!" He worked his arms beneath her for snuggles. "Okay, so pink and blue. Does that carry through to everything?"

<Paige> "Of course it does!" She giggled at him, kissing his cheek. "And I want a candy bar! Can we have a candy bar?"

<Bobby> "....candy bar? That's a thing? Hoooly... I had no idea? A bar... of candy?" He may have gotten a bit too excited.

<Paige> "It is! Instead of favors at the tables, you have a candy bar. People can fill their favors with whatever candy they want." She smiled at his face, loving his reaction.

<Bobby> "That's the best thing! Like, ever." Bobby completely meant this.

<Paige> Paige laughed, holding him closer. "After you? Absolutely! Though I don't know which one is sweeter!"

<Bobby> "Aww, babe." He rolled onto his side so he wouldn't smoosh her and drew her into him. "You're the sweet one," he said, reaching up to smooth her hair back.

<Paige> Smiling softly, Paige traced his face with her fingertips, taking in his features. "You deserve some sweet. You've always been there for me. Always." She pressed her forehead against his, her hand on his cheek.

<Bobby> "And I'll always be here for you." He whispered it, and moved in to kiss her again.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Christmas 2017: The Almost-Drakes

Post by Slarti »

<Paige> The trip to visit Bobby's family, while in theory was a marvelous idea for Christmas, in reality had turned into a nightmare. They hadn't even left yet, and Paige couldn't remember what she had eaten in days. She hadn't touched the candy stash they hid from Ripley or her other secret chocolate stash. Well, maybe once or twice on that one.

<Paige> The clock read sometime after 5 am when she woke up from yet another nightmare of Bobby's parents disowning him again. The worry began to set in immediately as she opened her eyes and sat up.

<Paige> As careful as she could not to wake Bobby, like she had done the past couple of mornings, Paige made a b-line for the bathroom. All that worry had made her sick, sick, sick.

<Bobby> It was the sound that woke him, although it took some time for him to realize what he was hearing. Rolling over, he reached for Paige and flailed, half sitting up immediately. "Huh?"

<Paige> Paige flushed the toilet and grabbed washcloth, wetting it with cool water.

<Bobby> The toilet flush made his head spin for a moment, and then he was really awake. Bobby flipped back the covers and got up, padding to the bathroom door. He leaned on it and tapped softly. "Babe? You okay?"

<Paige> She refused to lie to Bobby. The words 'I'm fine' hung in her throat, choking her. She turned the water off and opened the door. "No."

<Bobby> "No?" He cocked his head and opened his arms. "Are you sick?"

<Paige> If she was sick they didn't have to go! Was that better than going? She smushed herself against her Bobby and closed her eyes. "Not... exactly?"

<Bobby> Bobby wrapped both arms around her and nuzzled into her hair. "I noticed you haven't been eating much..."

<Paige> Busted. She tightened her hold on him. "I haven't been very hungry..."

<Bobby> No appetite, barfy, not eating her quota of candy... a bit... cranky? For Paige, anyway. He could do math better than most, and that all added up to a very few possibilities. "What is it? Do you know?"

<Paige> "I.... I'm pretty sure I know." She pulled back to look up at him again, a fresh wave of anxiety taking over her.

<Bobby> "Y-yeah?" He tried to smile, but it came out as more of a grimace. Bobby cleared his throat and tried again, petting her hair while he was at it. "What's up?"

<Paige> "I'm... I'm...." she bit her lip, face flushing as she finally said the word, "scared."

<Bobby> "Scared?" He was far more relieved than he should have been that his voice didn't crack on that one word, though it was a near thing. "I-it's okay, baby.... whatever it is..."

<Paige> "I'm scared your parents aren't going to like me. That they'll hate me and..." she couldn't say it. She looked down at his feet instead.

<Bobby> "Oooooh...." Bobby blew out a long breath, not sure if he was relieved or disappointed.

<Paige> She winced a bit, not sure how he was taking it since she had stopped watching him. "I don't want to ruin your life. Ruin your family again."

<Bobby> The again got his attention and he gently pried her off so he could see her face. "Babe, that's not gonna happen. Not at all. You're awesome, and they're gonna love you." He smirked. "Well, at least my mom will... my dad hates everybody to various degrees of ass...assumption of... how much he won't like them." He closed one eye on that attempted save.

<Paige> "But you don't know that... and then I'll ruin Christmas on top of your family. And you'll wind up disowned again and..." and she was sick again. She pulled away from him to rush to the toilet.

<Bobby> "Sh-" He cut himself off and went after her, rubbing her back and catching her hair to keep it from falling into her face. "No, Paigey... you won't...I won't." A sick Paige was a terrible thing! "It was... he really, specifically didn't like... well, he didn't like L-lorna. She was... obvious." Swallowing, he forced himself to continue. "Her hair. And she was... on TV... as an X-Man..."

<Paige> "I'm a mutant too," she pointed out. "And an x-man. Sometimes. Occasionally." She reached for her wash cloth, flushing the toilet again.

<Bobby> "You're nothing like Lorna though." Now that he'd said it, he felt better, and grabbed the wash cloth to help her. "Nothing at all."

<Paige> She took the cloth from him and moved to lean against him, thinking that over silently to herself. "So I am maybe worrying for nothing? And he might like me?"

<Bobby> "You're not gonna throw any knives at him, are ya?" He sat down on the floor, pulling her into his lap.

<Paige> Oh Lorna. The heck had she done? Paige curled up with him, already feeling the anxiety of the week falling away as she nestled into him. "I might hug him..."

<Bobby> "Once he realizes you're not gonna throw any knives," he chuckled, petting her hair back. "He'll be wary at first, but fiiiine. Plus? You're Catholic."

<Paige> She laughed a little, resting her head against him and washing her face with the cloth. "You really are amazing, Bobby... amazing. Can I bake him something? Or something?"

<Bobby> He laughed. "Sure, if you want. He likes... anything. Especially fried anythings... um, fair warning, you might be getting a rude awakening to what I'll look like in thirty years or so."

<Paige> She laughed again, relaxing against him. "I'm okay with a sneak preview at a might-be future."

<Bobby> "Even if it has a beer gut?" He jostled her slightly.

<Paige> Laughing more, Paige smiled up him. "Just more of you to love."

<Bobby> "You're fantastic, babe." He kissed her forehead, then just studied her face. "Feel better?"

<Paige> Smiling, Paige nodded. "Actually... a lot better. I should have just told you. I thought maybe it would go away... but it just got worse."

<Bobby> "Awww, hon, you can always tell me things." He returned the smile. "Wanna go back to bed?"

<Paige> She nodded, carefully getting up out of his lap. "I just need to brush my teeth first."

<Bobby> "Never hurts," he admitted with a chuckle, and gave her a light swat on the ass after he got up. "I'll go check on our baby girl and meet you there?"

<Paige> "Hey!" She laughed, picking up the toothbrush. "I'll meet you there... fiance."
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

<Bobby> The house looked the same as it ever was, even with the cover of snow. It was strange, coming back to where he'd grown up... now with his own daughter, and with his Paige. Bobby was out of the car as soon as his mother parked, opening Paige's door - up front, with his mother, since that was the place for a lady - and giving her a reassuring grin and nose wrinkle.

<Bobby> Before he could help Paige out, Madelyne Drake was already out of her seat and opening the door to get Ripley out, cooing and fussing over her granddaughter.

<Paige> Paige gave Bobby a nervous nose wrinkle back, smiling over at Madelyne as she got out of the car. "Awwwww." She would never get tired of that.

<Bobby> "Awww," he echoed, but he was looking at Paige, and took her hand, leaning in to give her a quick peck.

<Maddie> "Are you warm enough, baby girl? I bet you are... you're so big! I just can't get over how big she is, Bobby!" With Ripley in her arms, she bustled over to the couple and smiled at Paige. "Well, this is it. I hope it's not too disappointing. I told Bill we needed to get more lights up since you were coming for Christmas, but he just wouldn't do it."

<Paige> Paige returned, Bobby's kiss and kept his hand until Maddie got to them. "Are you kidding? This is great!" Paige ruffled Ripley's hair and hugged Maddie. "Thank you... It looks like a Christmas card as it is."

<Maddie> "Thank you!" Maddie was clearly bursting with pride at the praise and happily returned the hug. "You are so sweet! Let's get inside where it's warm! I made cookies this morning, and a pot roast, or we can go out... would you rather go out?"

<Bobby> "Whatever you want to do, mom. It's fine." Bobby watched them with a smile. He knew his mother would love Paige. The real test was yet to come, and if he didn't behave himself this was going to be a real short trip. "I'll get the luggage. You guys go in."

<Paige> "You had me at cookies!" Paige told Maddie, laughing. "I wouldn't dream of going out to eat when you worked so hard to make us dinner, Madelyne!" She stayed close to her though, since Bobby was getting the luggage. She blew him a kiss though as she headed to the door.

<Bobby> Bobby caught the kiss and grinned, taking the keys from his mom and hurrying to the trunk. His dad's car wasn't even here, but he didn't want to take any chances of Paige encountering him alone.

<Maddie> "Oh, honey, call me Maddie!" She patted the girl's arm and fussed with Ripley's hood as they walked. "And soon enough you can just call me mom if you want!"

<Paige> "I would really, very much like that," she told Maddie, swallowing back some emotions to give her a smile. "Both... both of that," she stammered a bit.

<Maddie> She smiled brightly. "Mom it is then!" The girl looked a little nervous and she put her free arm around her for another half-hug once they reached the back door. "I heard you were Miss America... you know I was Miss St. Louis County 1981..."

<Paige> "Oh my gosh! No! I had no idea! I don't think Bobby ever told me this! If he did I totally forgot. That is so cool!

<Paige> " Paige giggled and hugged Maddie tightly. "Do you still have your crown!?"

<Maddie> "Of course! It's in the attic... maybe we'll go look for it, if we get tired of the Christmas cheer... or have a little too much eggnog." Maddie giggled too, happy to return the hug. Ripley giggled along and joined in.

<Bobby> Bobby found them like this and shuffled the bags to open the back door one-handed, nearly dropping the keys before he found the right one to get the inner door open. Well, mom was definitely on Team Paigey now.

<Paige> "I think we might have to now. I bet it still looks amazing on you too!" Paige giggled at her, hurrying to help Bobby once she realized he was struggling.

<Maddie> "Oh, you are just the sweetest thing!" She hugged Ripley all the tighter once Paige left her. "Bobby, why didn't you visit sooner? You've been hiding her from us!"

<Bobby> "We've been... busy, mom..." He gave Paige an apologetic smile for his mother's enthusiasm and quietly thanked her when the door opened.

<Paige> Paige just smiled and shook her head no. There was no need to apologize. "Why didn't you tell me your mom was a beauty queen? No wonder you turned out so pretty," she teased him.

<Bobby> "Well, maybe because I never, ever wanted to think anyone thought my mom was hot?" He said it quietly and with a laugh, rubbing the back of his neck self-consciously.

<Paige> She laughed and kissed his cheek, moving back to Maddie and Ripley. "Thank you for coming to get us, by the way."

<Maddie> "Well, of course, honey." She put Ripley down once they were inside and started taking off her coat. "I just wish Bill could have made it..." She bit her lip. "I know he wants to meet you."

<Bobby> Bobby rolled his eyes and lined up their bags by the stairs.

<Paige> Paige glanced over at Bobby for that comment, but took her own coat off. "When do you expect him home?"

<Bobby> Bobby took Paige's coat, and then his mom's and Ripley's too, watching the girl sprint off toward the tree.

<Maddie> "Oh... any time now. He said he needed to do some things at the office. End of the year, you know."

<Paige> Paige smiled and moved after Ripley to guard any valuable ornaments. "He's... an accountant right? I remember numbers."

<Bobby> "Yeah, he's an accountant. Never really got over that I didn't go into the family business." Bobby flashed her a grin, and put up the coats, exchanging a glance with his mother. "Paigey's great at math. She beat me for top score her freshman year."

<Paige> "I always liked math. It comes in handy now. I have to do a lot of math in my head, quickly sometimes." She wrinkled her nose at Ripley, exploring the tree with her.

<Bobby> Bobby hid his smile and went over to Paige, giving her a side hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Paging Doctor Paigey."

<Maddie> She stopped, not wanting to disturb them. It did her heart good to see her Bobby so happy again. She sniffed quietly and dabbed her eyes.

<Paige> Paige giggled at Bobby, snuggling into him. "Doctor Paigey.... to the rescue!" She saved an ornament from certain doom, placing it back on the tree gently.

<Bobby> "Careful, Rip... just look, remember. Don't touch unless grandma tells you it's okay." Bobby ruffled the girl's blonde head.

<Maddie> "Oh! I have ornaments!" She sniffed again and smiled at them. "They're upstairs... I'll just get them. And tonight Ripley can help me light the menorah." She bustled off to the stairs.

<Paige> "Ohhhh I'm so glad I have my phone! I want tons of pictures of this. I always wanted to play that game... the dreidel game." She leaned against Bobby, fully content and at ease with his mother.

<Bobby> "Ugh, she'll be happy to have somebody to teach," he said with a laugh and squeezed her.

<Paige> "You have to play toooo," she told him, kissing him softly. "So I can steal all your candy."

<Bobby> Bobby started humming the dreidel song and turned to wrap his arms around her to give her several small kisses as he hummed.

<Paige> Smiling, Paige hummed with him, closing her eyes and holding him tightly.

<Bobby> He laughed and rubbed noses with her, then dipped her backward to give her a more lingering kiss.

<Paige> He found no protest from Paige, who slid a hand to his cheek, keeping him close to her as she kissed him back.

<Bill> It was surprisingly quiet when he came in the back door, and soon enough he saw why. There he was, and there she was. Well, at least this one looked normal. "Get a room," he interjected. "But not here."

<Paige> Once again Paige hated her power. Why didn't it allow her to fall through the floor? "Hello Mr. Drake," she told him softly, face bright red.

<Bobby> Bobby took his time standing Paige up, but didn't let go. "Hey, dad. This is my fiancee, Paige Guthrie." He stared his father down.

<Bill> "Did you wise up and dye this one's hair before you got here?" He took off his coat and suit jacket and tossed both into his recliner.

<Paige> Offended! She was offended! She was not some bottled bleach job! She opened her mouth to speak, but stopped, her heart softening. "I'm very happy to meet you, Mr. Drake."

<Bobby> "No, actually, her hair really is this color, but now I wish we'd dyed it pink." His tightened his arm around Paige and on second thought, wrapped both arms around her.

<Bill> "Watch it, Robert. You're still under my roof." He looked her over, and had to admit she was a vast improvement over...

<Ripley> "Daddy?" Ripley tugged on her father's pant leg, peeking around him at this new old man.

<Paige> Paige had to break Bobby's grip on her to kneel down, holding out her arms for Ripley, scooping her up and holding her tightly as she stood up. "It's alright. It's... what she call you, Mr. Drake? I never even asked. I'm so sorry. Grandpa?" She kept herself against Bobby, not quite bold enough to step away where he wasn't touching her yet.

<Bill> He softened somewhat at the little girl. She looked like Bobby, with that blonde hair and big eyes. "Can she say grandpa?"

<Bobby> Bobby wasn't at all sure he even wanted Rip to have to deal with him. Paige's dad was looking like great grandpa material right now. Or Geoffrey.

<Ripley> "Grandpa?" She burrowed into Paige, watching the man. "Mommy, that's grandpa?"

<Paige> Paige kissed her daughter's forehead, "Yes, this is Grandpa." Paige could do this. Paige could totally do this. She boldly approached Bill, carrying Ripley.

<Bobby> Bobby drew himself up and licked his lips, watching Paige for just a moment before he started staring down his father again.

<Bill> Ignoring Robert, he watched the girl and his granddaughter. "She thinks you're her mother?"

<Paige> "I am her mother," Paige told him softly. "Biological no, but she chose me."

<Bobby> Bobby closed his mouth. He didn't need to say anything. She had this.

<Bill> "She's two." Bill held out his hands for the girl.

<Ripley> She whimpered and shied away, clinging to her mommy.

<Paige> "She is. Children attach to those who care for them and love them in return." She kissed Ripley's forehead, not forcing her to go to Bill. "And new people can be overwhelming, especially after a life with so much change." Paige stroked Ripley's hair before holding out her arm for Bill to join them in a hug. "And sometimes, it can take awhile."

<Bill> His lip curled up a little, and then he moved in and gingerly put an arm around the blonde. Over the top of their heads, he met Robert's eyes.

<Bobby> Bobby crossed his arms, watching them like a hawk.

<Paige> Paige hugged him carefully, smiling at Ripley. "See? We give Grandpa hugs. We love Grandpa."

<Ripley> She blinked big eyes at mommy, and then over at daddy. He smiled at her, but she saw that look on his face before the smile.

<Paige> Paige kissed the top of Ripley's head, trying to keep her relaxed.

<Bill> "It's okay, Ripley..." he tried. That name was terrible. What the hell were they thinking?

<Paige> Paige pleaded with the child in her mind, begging her to hug the old man. But she was uneasy with Bill... so of course Ripley was. She gave Bill a better hug, looking up at him, smiling, and relaxing. "She was really interested in the Christmas tree, if you want to sit with us by it?"

<Bill> Or, they'd been turning the baby against him already. Typical. Bill let go of them and turned to go into the kitchen. "Maybe later."

<Bobby> Bobby rolled his eyes and went to Paige and Rip. "It's fine. Just... ignore him," he whispered, wrapping them both up in a hug.

<Paige> Relieved, Paige hugged her fiance tightly. "We're fine," she whispered back.

<Bobby> "We're fine," he repeated, closing his eyes and holding on to his family.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

<Bobby> "Ooooooh, you're okay! You're okay! Promise! Santa's nice! See?" Bobby held the candy cane out to Ripley as a peace offering, but the screaming intensified and she swatted it from his hand. "Heeey, Rip! Not nice!"

<Paige> Paige winced at the screaming, digging for Elsa in the diaper bag. "Ripley... it's okay honey." Whether or not Bill was watching, she immediately felt like her parenting skills were being called into question. Face flushing, she finally found Elsa. "I found Elsa! Want Elsa?" She held it out in offering.

<Bill> Of course he was watching. A safe distance away, at a food court table with his coffee and a newspaper. He'd known this was a terrible idea. The only bonus was at least they didn't get stared at more than usual.

<Bobby> Bobby took Elsa to the face, catching the doll and sharpening his own tone. "Hey! Now I said stop that! You don't throw things at people." He shot a searching glance around. His mother was still paying for their terrible Santa photos, and his father was watching them. Like a hawk. Great.

<Paige> "I think there was a family restroom over there..." Paige offered helpfully, brushing her hair out of her face after collecting Elsa. "Or is she hungry? Ripley are you hungry?"

<Ripley> "Noooo!" she wailed, the hair her mommy had spent all that time curling falling out of its bow and into her face. "Daddy!"

<Bobby> After she'd spent the last thirty seconds fighting him and chucking things at him now she attached herself to his neck like a remora. "Ack!"

<Paige> Paige tried so hard not to let that hurt. She was upset, and of course she wanted her daddy. She forced a smile and sighed. "Maybe take her outside? I don't know." It had to be better than inside screaming.

<Bobby> "Yeah, I'll take her." He sighed and leaned over to give Paige a reassuring kiss, then stood with the meltdown child. After a grin, he started for the door.

<Maddie> Oh my, she was still crying! She hurried to intercept her son and granddaughter with a plush reindeer from Santa's workshop.

<Paige> Paige wiped her face when Bobby couldn't see her and looked around. Maddie went with Bobby... which meant... Bill was still nearby. She glanced over there. It would be more awkward not to... right? Maybe. She moved to his table and sat down across from him wordlessly.

<Bill> He flipped the paper down enough to see her, looking over the top of his reading glasses, then straightened it back into a shield between them.

<Paige> Even Bill shunned her. She slumped in her chair and stared at the other families waiting in line for Santa. Why did they seem to have it all together. Surely they struggled just as much as she and Bobby did. They couldn't be that incompetent. She was a doctor for crying out loud. A surgeon! She should have volunteered to work.

<Bill> "I knew this was a bad idea," he said conversationally, though he didn't lower the paper.

<Paige> Surprised, Paige looked over at him, though wasn't surprised to be met with the newspaper. She looked back at the other families. "You never know till you try."

<Bill> "No, you know..." With a flurry of crushed paper, he shifted it to one hand and picked up his coffee for a drink. "Robert did the same thing."

<Paige> That made Paige smile and relax. Of course she did. "She's such a daddy's girl... I'm not surprised."

<Bill> "If he hadn't been wearing a diaper, Santa would have needed more than a ten minute break." He smirked over the cup and watched the girl.

<Paige> Paige giggled at that, grinning. "Poor, Bobby... and poor Santa."

<Bill> He put down his cup and looked her over, the silence stretching on.

<Paige> She twirled the ring on her finger absent mindedly. She glanced back over at him, suddenly uncomfortable that he was watching her. "Do you have anymore stories about him?"

<Bill> "You mean he hasn't told you everything?"

<Paige> "Nobody wants to share the embarrassing ones," she pointed out with a smile. "That's what parents are for."

<Bill> "Well, he has plenty of those..."

<Paige> She gave him a genuine smile. "My mother loves to tell those stories. Especially ones that happened when I was on stage."

<Bill> This got him to sit up a little. "That's right... Miss America..."

<Paige> "That's right," She was actually surprised he knew that. "I had to leave school my freshman year to be in the Thanksgiving Day Parade."

<Bill> "Is that so?" He might need to look her up tonight when he got home. "I'm surprised they don't have a rule against mutants..."

<Paige> She shifted uncomfortably. "They might. Now. I haven't kept up with it in years."

<Bill> He grunted. "So... what do you do? Maddie tells me that's rude to ask, but how the hell else will you know? And it's something people should know..."

<Paige> She shifted again, more uncomfortable. "I don't really... I've never..." she tucked her hair behind her ear. "I can shed layers of skin with different materials underneath. Like... turn to steel or granite." She looked down at her hands, playing with her ring to distract herself.

<Bill> "And you were one of those X-Men too?"

<Paige> "I was. Medical team when I was a student. More recently I only go on a mission if they think a medic is needed."

<Bill> "So you're a nurse," he said flatly.

<Paige> She smiled, almost laughing. "Actually. I'm a doctor. A surgical intern. I begin my residency this summer. I am looking to specialize in neonatal pediatrics."

<Bill> He nearly spewed his coffee.

<Paige> Exactly the reaction she wanted. She smiled sweetly, leaning back in her chair. Point, Paige.

<Bill> "That's a... baby doctor? Right?" What in the hell was she doing with Robert?

<Paige> "The tiniest of babies. Usually preemies who need extensive work done so that they have a shot at life."

<Bill> "So like mutants?" He looked toward the doors, searching for his wife and Robert and the grandbaby.

<Paige> "We don't actually know if they are mutant or not when they are born, Mr. Drake. Not unless the parents specifically request DNA testing. So yes and no. I work on both and never know the difference."

<Bill> He picked up his coffee and took a drink, followed by a long, noncommittal "Huh."

<Paige> "It's a huge shock for everyone when it manifests. I think it's better that it happens later in life. My parents reacted very negatively. I can't imagine having to grow up like that." She looked back over at all the happy families. How many of those children were mutants?

<Bill> "Well I would imagine, if you peel off your skin..." He wasn't sure if this was better or worse than the greenhead.

<Paige> Paige made a face. "Exactly. Can you imagine looking down and you've peeled off your skin?"

<Bill> "No." He sipped his coffee again. It was cold. Must be Robert's fault.

<Paige> "It's not something I would wish on anyone," she affirmed softly, still watching the children.

<Bill> He noticed what she was looking at now, and sighed. "Robert froze the bathtub. While he was in it."

<Paige> That got her attention. She looked back at him, laughing. "Seriously?!"

<Bill> "He was... twelve? Thirteen?" A little perturbed he couldn't actually remember, he frowned.

<Paige> "Did he scream?" She hoped he screamed. Like a little girl.

<Bill> "Oh yeah, we were afraid the neighbors were going to call the police..." She looked eager, and he smirked a little.

<Paige> Paige laughed again, smiling and relishing that. "Ahhh I bet he sounded like a little girl!"

<Bill> "More so when I suggested I get the chisel..." What in the hell was she doing with him?

<Paige> "Poor Bobby," she laughed, smile still in place. "Oh poor, Bobby," she laughed again.

<Bill> "So how in the hell did this happen?" He gestured at her general... cuteness.

<Paige> She blinked a little, shifting. "How did... what exactly?" He owed her a quarter.

<Bill> "You and him?" It was baffling.

<Paige> Her face flushed bright red as she smiled. "It just... we were friends before. We met as students. When I came back to the school, we just picked up where we left off. Just friends." She tucked her hair behind her ear. "He's always been there for me. Every time I've needed him. After the disaster... it was Bobby who helped me pick up the pieces."

<Paige> She looked over at him, smiling softly. "I love him. I can't imagine going through life without him. He's absolutely my best friend and I'm so excited to be his wife."

<Bill> His face screwed up just a little bit, but then he sighed. She meant it, didn't she? "Well... at least you don't have green hair."

<Paige> It took her a moment, but she smiles warmly at him. "I like to dye my hair pink... sometimes. But no. Just boring blonde!"

<Bill> "Boring blonde is a vast improvement." He smirked just a bit. "So. Since they must have gotten lost outside, do you want a coffee? Mine is cold."

<Paige> "Oh I can get you a new one! How do you like your coffee?" she asked, already getting to her feet.

<Bill> He got up himself, more slowly, and with a slight groan he tried to suppress and a stretch of his trick knee. "It's fine, blondie, I was going to buy it for you."
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

<Paige> It had been a surprisingly long flight from Missouri, but Paige attributed that to Ripley screaming for half of it due to air pressure. She cuddled her finally sleeping child on her shoulder and opened the door to her and Bobby's new apartment at the school. Flipping the switch on the lights, Paige looked around at the mess of boxes in their home, sighing.

<Bobby> "Home sweet... cardboard box. You know what? Maybe we should go baaaack." Bobby kept his voice down, but still laughed, shaking his head. "We'll get Yoda tomorrow."

<Paige> "I feel like we need a vacation from our vacation," she told him softly, looking around for the box of blankets. "Do you see the bedroom boxes? She's getting heavy."

<Bobby> Bobby turned wide eyes onto the mess of boxes. And he thought he'd been so smart to bribe the SHIELD interns into moving their stuff while they were gone. "Um... I'll take her?" He put on a grin and held out both arms for the sack o'toddler.

<Paige> Paige leaned up and kissed him softly before passing off their child to him. "Thank you," she smiled. "I'll... look for the boxes," she laughed.

<Bobby> Bobby grinned at the kiss and then cuddled Ripley. Why did she smell like cottage cheese? Oh well, these were problems for later.

<Paige> It took Paige a bit of searching, but she grinned as she found the right box. "I found it! I found the blanekts! We can make a pallet on the floor for her?" she yawned a bit, surprised by that. "And maybe us."

<Bobby> "That... sounds super good, babe." He navigated the boxes to Paige's location, which wasn't the bedroom, but oh well.

<Paige> She worked to lay out the blankets for them, smiling over at him as she worked. "You do realize, Bobby... this is our first real home home together." She smiled more and knelt down to make some pillows out of blankets next since who knew where those were.

<Bobby> Bobby knelt and carefully laid Ripley down in the nest Paige made, pausing to smile up at her. "Yeah... you're right." His expression slipped just a little. "Too bad we're dead tired and spending it on the floor." He punctuated this with a yawn.

<Paige> Smiling, she leaned over and kissed him again. "But we're together. Annnnnd the baby is asleep," she teased.

<Bobby> "You're not wrong," he laughed. Moving around the girl, he joined Paige on their side of the nest and pulled her down on top of him for another kiss.

<Paige> --Time Passes a lot--

<Paige> Paige smiled as she woke up, still pressed against Bobby on the floor. She sat up a bit, smiling down at him. Bill's words hung in her head. How the hell had they happened? She reasoned, for once, she had just gotten lucky. She kissed him softly.

<Bobby> Bobby stretched slowly and cracked open one eye. "Heeeeey!" He adjusted the volume of his voice when he heard Ripley whine and roll over and gave Paige a big-eyed look.

<Paige> She laughed softly, trying to be quiet. "Hey," she repeated, smiling at him and playing with his hair. Hopefully the kid would go riiiight back to sleep. Just for awhile longer.

<Bobby> It was warm and surprisingly comfy in their little floor nest, and he had a Paigey, so Bobby definitely wanted Ripley to go back to sleep. He rubbed his head against her hand like a giant cat and purred.

<Paige> Paige giggled at him and buried her face against his chest, sighing happily. "It's so good to be home, even if home is a bunch of boxes and we just moved in."

<Bobby> "Yeah, I know what you mean," he said, cuddling her. "It's no place like home... especially after my folks." Bobby blew a quiet raspberry to sum up his feelings there.

<Paige> "Awwww they aren't so bad. Oh Bobby... Oh Bobby. I didn't tell you. I talked to your dad," she looked up at him smiling.

<Bobby> "Well my mom's not, she's just a mom, but..." What she'd said filtered through his brain and he stopped, all color draining from his face. "I'm sorry, babe..."

<Paige> "No no, don't be sorry." She kissed the tip of his nose. "He likes me. I know he does. He won't admit it. But he does. He bought me coffee. And called me Blondie."

<Bobby> Bobby was prepared for any horrific revelation, but not that. He blinked, then did it again. "He... did what?"

<Paige> "Maybe not likes me... but... tolerates? Not sure. But it's better than hate by a long shot." She kissed him again.

<Bobby> "He..." Bobby paused to process again and absently returned the kiss. "Tolerates?"

<Paige> "Yeah," she laughed, "Tolerates or even likes."

<Bobby> "Baby... he doesn't like anybody..." This was known.

<Paige> "He likes your mom," she pointed out.

<Bobby> "That's... up for debate." He made a face. "Also, ew."

<Paige> "Not like that, come on." She stroked his cheek. "He asked me how I ended up with you."

<Bobby> "Yeah?" He laughed a little. "He probably thinks I abducted you.... holding your family at, uh, icepoint or something."

<Paige> She snickered and nuzzled his cheek. "Or paid me maybe. But after I told him... he just. Took me to get coffee. And called me Blondie."

<Bobby> "When was this?" He tried to think back through their trip, but she was nuzzling him now and that seemed to be distracting for some reason.

<Paige> "When our child had a meltdown after meeting Santa." She snuggled into him and got comfortable.

<Bobby> "Really?" That had not been a good day, but he'd been so distracted by Ripley he hadn't really paid much attention when they'd come back into the mall. "Wow," he said after a minute, and gave her a squeeze and an excited wriggle. "Look at you! You thawed the old man!"

<Paige> She giggled and squeezed him tightly. "Everyone likes me!"

<Bobby> "Everyone loves you!" He cheered quietly. "I told you you'd do fine!"

<Paige> "You did...." she sniffled as her emotions got the better of her. "I was worried for nothing."

<Bobby> Oh... no, not the Paigey tears. "Awwww, babe... at least it's all over now, and we won't have to see them again until the wedding." Bobby stroked her hair and rubbed her back and arm soothingly.

<Paige> She laughed and wiped her face. "I know. I'm just relieved."

<Bobby> "Well, good..." The tears always made him slightly panicky, but she seemed okay, so he kissed her through her hair. "Mission accomplished then. My mom loves you. I mean loves and my dad called you blondie." He laughed a little himself.

<Paige> She sniffled again, stroking his cheek. "I love yoooou," she pointed out. "And I'm glad I get to be your wife. Even if your dad only tolerates me," she smiled at him.

<Bobby> "I love you, too, Paigey-poo." Bobby wriggled until he could give her a kiss. "Told ya," he mumbled, scattering kisses over her nose and cheeks. "He probably likes you better'n me..."

<Paige> "I guess that makes up for my mom liking you better," she teased, nuzzling him.

<Bobby> He really didn't want to think too deeply on those implications, so he just giggled a little, playing with her hair. "What did I do to deserve you, babe?"

<Paige> "You put up with all my crap. You paid your dues," she told him with a smile. "Or I'm your life sentence."

<Bobby> "Well, in that case, sign me up for life." He grinned at her brightly.

<Paige> Laughing again, Paige kissed him, then rested her head against his cheek. "Yeah. Me too."