Summer 2016: Idie

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Summer 2016: Idie

Post by Svartfreja »

Idie had known she was mutant for a long time. Ever since the registration act, when she and a group of friends had decided to get tested together. Her adoptive parents didn't take it too well, but that was mostly because her non-mutant friends had dropped her like the proverbial hot potato as soon as they got the results.

Since then, she'd made new friends in the pro-mutant crowd and they had spent a large amount of time speculating on what her abilities might be if and when she manifested. But... Idie had long since given up staring at objects in the hope she could make them move, staring at the backs of people's heads in an effort to hear their thoughts, glaring at people she hated in an attempt to make them burst into flames or at least shoot lasers from her eyes like she'd seen the mutants on tv do. She had accepted the fact that she was probably in that small percentage of X-gene carriers that were just that and nothing more.

Until today.

Today she had been engaging in one of her favourite passtimes - Kite boarding. Which was like kite surfing but with more obstacles. Obstacles like rocks and people and that river she'd forgotten about and tried to jump.

Half way over she'd known she wasn't going to make it. The wind changed and had pulled her off course just enough to change the height of her arc. But, when she opened her eyes, it was not because she was trying to pull herself out of the water but because wheels had hit something solid. With a shout of surprise, she turned the board too tightly and promptly faceplanted into the dirt. Only then did she realise there was no kite pulling at her.

It was several minutes (during which she sort of just lay on the ground staring bemusedly at the clouds) before her friends joined her on the other side of the river all talking at once about what had happened. The word that stuck out most was 'manifested'. She sat up and looked around, spying a ramp made of ice just crumbling into the river where she must have hit the bank.

Ice powers. Awesome! .... But where was the kite...?
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Re: Summer 2016: Idie

Post by Svartfreja »

<@Idie> It was a very busy afternoon at Santa Monica State Beach Park, then again most days were busy, but today a large crowd had gathered around one individual. Loud music blasted from large speakers and there were drinks all around (non-alcoholic, of course... if the police asked). Idie was thoroughly enjoying herself.

<Cassie> The small, round shades with their heavily tinted glass and the wide brimmed hat made the sunlight almost bearable, but Cassandra still felt like creeping someplace dark. "Of course it had to be the beach on a sunny day," Cassandra remarked, holding the umbrella over her head. "Thank you so much for taking me along."

<Bobby> "You're welcome Morticia," Bobby grinned at her, standing close enough to the small group of teens to see them, but not so close as to arouse suspicions. Although the beach goth might have been a giveaway there. "So, do we know which one she is?"

<Fergie> "Always welcome." Lorna teased Cassie back as she walked along. "At least we're nearly there, and we'll take you for treatsies afterwards, promise. I'm afraid I don't know. Chuckles was vague over the phone."

<@Idie> Idie could see supplies of ice getting low and was awaiting the prod for more from her adoring fans as she poured more drinks. Sure enough, the demand came and she picked up the ice bucket and put it on the table. Both hands in the air (to avoid any casualties) tiny cubes of ice appeared out of nowhere on one side and fell into the bucket, while on the other flames shot into the air.

<Cassie> "Treats is the very least I expect for playing taxi for you guys." Cassandra replied and gave Lorna a look over the rim of her shades. "I'm counting on licorice and ice-cream and maybe a new hat, too."

<Bobby> "Well... that answers that question," Bobby said, laughing quietly at the display of fire and ice. "Heeey, I finally get another frosty person! Wicked."

<Cassie> Letting her gaze wander across the lively beach, eyes squeezed halfway shut, Cassandra paused when she spotted the small crowd gathered around a display of fire and ice. "When in doubt, go where the commotion is."

<Fergie> "Awww, you're not alone in the world anyomre." Lorna chuckled, ruffling Bobby's hair a bit. "Shall we go introduce ourselves then?"

<@Idie> The crowd cheered for the display and more ice and Idie put the ice bucket back where it belonged, turning up the music and dancing along.

<Bobby> "D'awww... that's how I got started. Making ice cubes for the popular kids' parties. It's... it's making me a little misty." Bobby sniffled.

<Cassie> As they sauntered closer, Cassandra tried to sneak a peek at the girl surrounded by cheering spectators. "Looks like we have another showoff," she remarked, forming a smile. "I like her already."

<Fergie> "If she makes a giant frozen swan I'll start to wonder if she's some relative from the future or something." Lorna taunted, watching the girl dance away.

<Bobby> "My long lost baby teenage girl!" Bobby cackled.

<Cassie> "Encountering a long lost relative who also happens to be a mutant?" Cassandra arched an eyebrow. "I wonder what the chances are for that happening."

<@Idie> Using her powers was a little tricky but she decided to throw some fire and ice into her dance moves, the two mixing well enough to create steam rather than dump ice over everyone.

<Fergie> "Oh, I'm sorry, Bobby, it might be Johnny's instead. I know you're terribly disappointed."

<Bobby> "Seems pretty far-fetched, unless my dad paid a surprise visit to California about 18 years ago... I just squicked myself." The mixture of fire and ice was pretty entertaining, actually. "Johnny's black twin sister, yep. I like it."

<Cassie> "Perhaps Bobby's mother and Johnny's father knew each other better than anyone thought," Cassandra remarked, trying to stifle a snicker.

<Bobby> "Don'tchoo talk about my mama like that," he growled at Cassie playfully.

<Cassie> "Oh, it could also have been the other way around." She shot Bobby an impish grin.

<Lorna> "Okay, don't want to talk about Mr. Drake basically doing any kind of baby making even ridiculous fictional ones. He did his duty there as far as I see."

<@Idie> Some kids with surfboards waved over the heads of the crowd and Idie waved back, "Okay I'm taking a break guys! Enjoy the drinks til I get back!" She hopped over the table and went to collect her own board, tugging her wetsuit on properly as she walked.

<Cassie> Braving the merciless sun as she stowed her umbrella, Cassandra freed both her hands to give the young performer some well-deserved applause. "I think now is our chance; come on!" She was already on her way to intercept the girl.

<Bobby> "They broke the mold after me, this is true." He grinned and then went after Cassie. "Whoa, Morticia! Wait up!"

<Lorna> "She's up to a trot! I guess once you get her out of the skinny dress she's up for a run." Lorna hurried after her, trying to wave the girl down.

<Cassie> "A fantastic show!" Cassandra commended the girl as soon as she was within earshot, quickly walking up to her from behind.. "You have great talent."

<@Idie> Idie looked round after zipping herself up and gave the girl a smile, "Thanks!" She picked up her wax to give her board a once-over. "I'll be back up there soon, just taking a break now."

<Cassie> "You're welcome," Cassandra replied and returned the smile. "I know a good performance when I see it." Tipping her head, she studied the other girl across the rim of her tinted glasses. "Do you mind if my friends and I steal a little of your time?"

<@Idie> "Uh...." she glanced at her friends that were waiting for her, "I guess...? Five minutes?" She held up her hand displaying five to the guys and waved them on. She'd catch up.

<Bobby> "So, how long have you known you're a mutant?" Bobby gave the girl a friendly grin.

<@Idie> "Since the registration act..." She continued to wax her board while she talked.

<Cassie> Cassandra frowned and gave Bobby a friendly knock on the head with her umbrella. "Where are your manners, Professor Drake?" she asked with acted indignation, before turning back to the black girl, bowing her head. "Please excuse my brutish teacher. My name is Cassandra, but you may call me Cassie, if you like."

<Lorna> "Mine are accounted for somewhere." Lorna laughed. "And this would be Bobby and I'm Lorna. I hope we're not interrupting too much."

<Bobby> "Hey, I was going for small talk up front," he shrugged, hands finding his pockets.

<@Idie> Idie leaned on her board, "My name's Idie... so what do you want?"

<Lorna> Lorna went for her own direct small talk. "You know the X-men?"

<Bobby> "Well, obviously, you like your new tricks." Bobby formed several balls of ice and juggled them. "We can show you lots."

<Cassie> Tipping her hat, she flashed the young mutant a grin. "Nice to meet you, Idie - and you could say we're some kind of talent scouts."

<@Idie> Idie's eyes were immediately drawn to the ice, "Hey! You can make ice too!"

<Bobby> "I can. In fact, I can do a lot more than that." He shifted to ice with a bright grin.

<@Idie> Idie eeped, "Oh my god! That's so cool! Wait right there!" She bolted off after her friends, "Guys! Hey guys! Looooook!" she pointed.

<Lorna> "You're a hit, Sweetcheeks!"

<Cassie> "Looks like you've made a fan," Cassandra remarked, turning to look at Bobby with a smile on her lips.

<Bobby> "I always wanted to be cool." His grin was enormous.

<@Idie> Her friends came hurrying back with cries of 'awesome!' and 'when can you do that?!'

<Cassie> "Oh, I'm quite sure Bobby here would love to show you how to do that." She laughed and held up her right hand. "In fact, that's one of the reasons we came here. We're from a school for gifted folks such as us, where young mutants can learn about their talents."

<@Idie> Idie blinked at Cassie, "And this is like a school trip?"

<Lorna> "Actually it's a recruitment. We seek out mutants to recruit and we're about to start our new term soon and, well, you've been sought out. So, if you like, there's a place for you at our university."

<Bobby> "And yep, if you can learn how to do this, we can probably teach you... and chica, on a more personal note, I've never ran into anybody else with ice powers, so this would be fun."

<@Idie> "What? Really never?" She stared for a long moment, "So I'm like.... rare?"

<Cassie> "Rare like a precious gem!" Cassandra remarked with a smirk. "I'm also a freshmen in my first year, and it would be amazing to have another student around who appreciates the art of public performances."

<Bobby> "Well, there's a fire dude who can make ice if he gives himself an aneurysm trying," he shrugged. "But otherwise, yep, we're pretty damn rare."

<Lorna> "Unique and beautiful snowflakes." Lorna deadpanned.

<Bobby> Bobby gave Lorna his most special-needs grin.

<Lorna> She nudged him jokingly. "Don't do that, she'll think we're an even weirder group than we are."

<@Idie> "So like... you're offering me a place at a college.... where everyone are mutants?"

<Lorna> "That's it." Lorna nodded. "Free college."

<Bobby> "With a side of super-heroing." Bobby straightened up with a grin.

<@Idie> "Oh right the X-men stuff! I get to be an X-man too?" She almost flailed. Almost.

<Lorna> "If you want." Lorna smiled though, figuring the flail answered that question.

<Cassie> "Don't believe all those exaggerated stories you here on the news, though," Cassandra remarked, doing her best to hide her smile. "The truth is, it's much more exciting than they make it out to be."

<Bobby> "You might have seen me on the news too, but I'm not really an X-Man anymore... I work for SHIELD."

<@Idie> Idie grinned, "This is so cool! I guess I should go and ask my parents if it's okay..."

<Bobby> "Yeaaaaah, that might be a plan." Bobby shifted back, giving her friends a jaunty salute.

<Lorna> "You just give us the directions and we can pick you up there."

<@Idie> "Uh... sure... have you got a pen?" she gestured at herself and her lack of places to keep such things.

<Cassie> "Sure thing." Cassandra quickly flicked her hands and from somewhere produced a pen and a small notepad, holding it out for Idie. "Here you go."

<@Idie> And Idie stared again for a long moment before she shook herself and took the notepad and pen.

<Bobby> "Get used to it," he laughed. "We got a lot of show-offs at Xavier's."

<@Idie> "This is so awesome!" She scribbled down her address and offered the pad back.

<Lorna> "We hope you just say that after the first few months." Lorna chuckled, glad this was going so well.

<Bobby> Bobby took it, and offered her an ice flower in exchange. "It's been great to meet ya, ice girl."

<@Idie> Idie took the flower with a grin, inspecting it, "I have got to learn how to do that."

<Bobby> "Now that, if you can make cubes, you can do. I can show you easy."

<@Idie> "Oh please! That would be great!" She was almost bouncing with excitement, "But somewhere safe for the fire to go."

<Bobby> "Yeah, that's a funky mix. How's it work?" He was pretty excited himself at the prospect of somebody he could teach his tricks to. "I'm just ice... well, and water... steam... sorta... cloud...like, I suppose. So yeah, more than just ice I guess, but definitely no fire."

<Lorna> "I hope you've not got that as a surprise one of these days anyway. We may have to get more smoke detectors."

<@Idie> "I'm not sure how it works... I just know I can't do one at a time."

<Cassie> "That's certainly a pretty flashy combination." Cassandra remarked, rubbing her chin. "What a great idea to turn that into a show. I'm sure there are countless more creative possibilities."

<@Idie> "Probably but I haven't found anything yet that isn't a fire hazard." She gave a grin.

<Lorna> "You're going to start one hell of a stageshow, aren't you Cassie?" Lorna asked, just imagining what it would be like.

<Bobby> "Luckily everybody is kind of used to things blowing up or catching on fire..."

<Cassie> "Why? Because I'm already trying to come up with a catchy name?" Cassandra chuckled and gave Lorna a cheeky grin.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Re: Summer 2016: Idie

Post by steyn »

Welcome to the mad house, Idie!

also:
<Cassie> "Sure thing." Cassandra quickly flicked her hands and from somewhere produced a pen and a small notepad, holding it out for Idie. "Here you go."
Glad to see Jack's magic lessons isn't going to waste on Cassie.