Summer 2016: Jessica Drew

Check out what goes on between semesters here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

Summer 2016: Jessica Drew

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: Jess flitted from one piece of expensive furniture to the next in their hotel room, running her fingers over the wood and the fabric and making her way over to the window which she quickly opened to lean out and investigate the view of the river. Nice!

Shaw: More than a little jetlagged, Sebastian went straight for the bar and poured them both drinks, then sat on one of the tapestried sofas. He watched her with a small smile. "I gather my choice meets with your approval then?"

Jessica: She straightened up again, turning to face him with a grin. "It's great!" She moved back over to him and flopped down beside him, leaning against him and accepting the offered drink with another smile. "Thank you." She pressed a kiss to his cheek.

Shaw: "You're quite welcome." He trapped her chin with his fingers and turned her face toward his for a more lingering kiss.

Jessica: She happily obliged, the smile staying on her face during and after the kiss. "Shall we stay in the Hotel today or go out?"

Shaw: "We're not expected at the club today, so we can do whatever you wish. Tomorrow morning I'll need to pop over to the Ministry of Defense for a meeting, but otherwise, I'm all yours." He smirked, taking a sip of scotch.

Jessica: "Lucky me." She sipped her own drink, leaning against him again. "We could go exploring the city... I'm sure you've done it all already but I haven't..."

Shaw: "Oh, one never tires of London." He slid his arm around her and relaxed. "I can order a car for us."

Jessica: Jess wrinkled her nose a little, "You can't explore inside a car with someone else driving you around..."

Shaw: "Then what do you propose, my dear?" Sebastian's eyebrow lifted in question.

Jessica: "Using those nice long legs of yours and walking a bit?" she raised the eyebrow right back in challenge, a small smirk on her lips.

Shaw: "If you insist," he chuckled, and tapped her foot with his own.

Jessica: She giggled, "I do insist! We're within walking distance from all the cool stuff." The could even see some of that stuff from the window across the river.

Shaw: Sebastian took another long sip of his scotch, watching her over the rim of the crystal tumbler.

Jessica: She raised her eyebrows, meeting his eyes and staring right back.

Shaw: He smirked. "Of course."

Jessica: "Woo! I win!" She threw her hands up in a cheer (carefully so she didn't spill her drink).

Shaw: With a chuckle, he took another sip. "So, what is the cool stuff?"

Jessica: She blinked at him, "You did not just ask me that question."

Shaw: "I believe I did." He returned her blink, though more slowly.

Jessica: She frowned, "So you come here on business, God knows how many times, and you don't look around? Or are you just curious what I find interesting?"

Shaw: Sebastian tilted his head. "The latter, although I haven't looked around for some time, no."

Jessica: She sighed, "The last time I was here, in this area actually... I was collecting Hope because she'd gotten on the wrong train..." She rested her head on his shoulder, "That was the first time I'd been to this part of the city but I knew the streets... I don't know why he made me learn them but it helped then... It was late though when I got here... couldn't see a lot. I met her in a pub across the road from the Houses of Parliament."

Shaw: "Ahh, Hope. Little Stark does know how to live up to the family name," he chuckled. "Your father seems interesting, to say the least."

Jessica: "Mmhmm... interesting is one word for it..." She sipped her drink, "Most would say paranoid..."

Shaw: "Yes, well, I was being polite," he said over a sip of his own. "I suspect we might learn if he had a reason for such shall we say extreme caution when we meet with the White King of the Hellfire Club tomorrow evening."

Jessica: "Well I hope so... He better have had a reason..." She turned her head to nuzzle his shoulder a little, "Otherwise it was kind of a waste..."

Shaw: "I suppose you gleaned a rather unique education from it, at the very least." Sebastian smiled a little at her affection and kissed her temple through her hair.

Jessica: "Yeah... I doubt many other homeschooled girls got combat training..." she smiled a little, "I won't even try to pretend that hasn't been useful."

Shaw: "Useful, but most certainly strange," he agreed.

Jessica: "I don't mind strange... strange is better than boring... but it's the why that bothers me... that's all I want to know."

Shaw: "Well, perhaps you will find out." He smirked and clinked his glass lightly against hers. "Soon."

Jessica: She smiled, slipping her arm around his and cuddling into him a little. "Thanks to you."

Shaw: "Sometimes I even amaze myself," he smirked, finishing off his scotch.

Jessica: She laughed softly, reaching to set her glass down before making herself comfortable against him again. "I'm very grateful to you... really..."

Shaw: "I know," he smirked, voice turning seductive and shifting to let her rest on him.

Jessica: "I don't think you do..." she curled up, letting her shoes slip from her feet and settling her feet in his lap.

Shaw: Putting down his own glass on a side table, he considered this. "Don't I?" He turned enough to see her face.

Jessica: "No... I don't have the words to tell you how grateful... I don't think anyone would... I don't feel so alone in the world now... even though my position hasn't really changed... and everyone back at XU is angry with me... it doesn't matter..."

Shaw: Sebastian smiled at her, wondering if this would end in crying. "I'm happy I could help."

Jessica: She returned the smile, studying his face, "If there's ever anything I can do to repay you... not this..." she looked between them, "Something else... you only have to ask."

Shaw: The smirk at her disclaimer couldn't be helped, but he reached up to hook a lock of hair behind her ear. "Duly noted."

Jessica: She offered another smile before leaning in to capture his lips.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Re: Summer 2016: Jessica Drew

Post by Svartfreja »

Shaw: It was remarkable how these sprawling estates could be hidden in plain view in England, Sebastian thought as he rounded the curve of the private drive in one of his lesser-used company cars. This was certainly the case with the gleaming white brickwork and stone building now looming in the darkness ahead of them. "And here we are."

Jessica: Jess peered out of the window at the imposing structure and glanced over at him before taking another look. Creepy. It was creepy. She looked back at him again and wrinkled her nose.

Shaw: He grinned at her reaction. "Oh, just wait until you see the inside."

Jessica: "Is it as creepy as the outside?" She slid over in the seat to be nearer to him.

Shaw: "Yes," he chuckled. "But more tacky." Giving her a glance, he parked the car beside a row of similarly expensive vehicles and checked the time. "As I said before, though you have certainly moved in these kinds of circles before, it was as an outsider. Soon, you will belong in these circles, and until you learn the steps of the dance it will serve you to be careful."

Jessica: "I can be careful... I was always taught to be careful..." She reminded him, "But I've watched the dance for long enough I know most of the steps by now."

Shaw: "Perhaps, but anyone can occasionally be caught up. Also, your entanglement with me is both a benefit and a liability. I'm not without enemies." He smirked. "Though, admittedly, most of them are dead."

Jessica: She laughed a little, "Nothing to fear from dead men." Well maybe the ones that were haunting the building they were about to enter... "I'll be fine."

Shaw: "Unless I'm the dead man," he smirked, but just as quickly sobered. "I am serious, however. Tread lightly with these people. You - we - will be watched closely from the moment we get out of this car."

Jessica: "Well I'm used to being watched..." She gave him a smile, "And I'll know what they're saying about me behind my back too. I promise to mind my manners though."

Shaw: "Well of course," he said, allowing his eyes to wander over her appreciatively. "Yes, keeping our rather overly-sensitive ears open and poker faces on are musts." All that said, he got out of the car, circling to her side to open her door.

Jessica: She smiled at him as she got out of the car herself, "Thank you."

Shaw: "You're welcome." He leaned down and gave her a short kiss, then a smirk. Turning away from her, he popped the trunk open to pick up the zipped garment bag inside. "Let's go scandalize the old fossils."

Jessica: She gave him a grin, "Now that's a plan I can get behind."

Shaw: Flipping the garment bag over one arm, he offered her his other and then headed inside.

Jessica: Jess took his arm, casting her eyes around the building as they walked. Still creepy under the tacky. She stole quick glances at the faces of people they passed as they moved through the halls and wondered how many, if any, would introduce themselves later.

Shaw: "Fais ce que tu voudras," he read the inscription over the door to the main parlor with a smirk, giving her another meaningful glance. "I'm sure the pious old men who built this place veritably spin in their graves."

Jessica: She laughed, "I just bet they do.... or maybe they enjoy it? Who can say?"

Shaw: "I doubt it. The abbey was built by Cistercian monks in the twelfth century - not known as fabulous hedonists." He nodded to a few of the members he recognized and smirked at those he did not. Ah, and Brian Braddock was here. Interesting.

Jessica: "Well no... not outwardly... but that'd ruin their reputations and then no one would have taken them seriously." She gave him a small grin, "Who knows what they got up to behind closed doors?"

Shaw: "Rather a lot of anal, I would suspect." He wrinkled his own nose in distaste and led her to a small changing room.

Jessica: She laughed, "Probably..." she stepped into the room, glancing around some more.

Shaw: "Not that anal isn't still a rather common pastime here, I would say." With a clink, he dropped the hanger onto the hook in the wall and closed the door to the small room. Unzipping the bag, he withdrew two robes - one black, one red, both velvet.

Jessica: She gave him another amused smile, chewing her lip a little at the appearance of the robes. The last time she'd worn red robes hadn't gone so well...

Shaw: "The robes are only used for official functions." Sebastian held out the heavy red robe, nodding for her to turn around. "If you should ever become a member of the Inner Circle, you will receive either black or white."

Jessica: She did as instructed, eyes finding the floor. "So... I won't have to wear them much?"

Shaw: He helped her don the robe, then slid his arms around the soft material to embrace her from behind. "Only as often as you wish." Chuckling softly, he brushed her ear with his mouth. "At the higher levels, the club is rather long on ceremony and short on style."

Jessica: She leaned back against him, closing her eyes and enjoying the feeling of his breath on her ear, "Sounds utterly boring."

Shaw: Humming in agreement, he held her. "But useful, if only for the contacts you can cultivate."

Jessica: "I don't know how many of those contacts I'd find useful." She turned her head to brush her lips lightly over his jaw.

Shaw: "In time you might." He closed his eyes. "And some of them may have known your parents - we already know their White King does."

Jessica: "Mmhmm... but if they did then they might have some expectations of me... and I wouldn't have the first idea what they are." She turned in his arms to face him.

Shaw: "Well then," he smirked down at her. "Aren't you lucky you have me as your guide?"

Jessica: "I am very lucky," she smiled back, "I'm sure anyone would think twice before messing with you."

Shaw: "Quite right." Sebastian leaned down to kiss her, lingering just a bit before he let her go to put on his own robe.

Jessica: She stepped back from him a little, watching him and absently smoothing down the fabric of her own robes. Soft. "So... what happens now?"

Shaw: Once his own robe - marked with the sigil of his status - was in place, he showed her his left palm and the scar it bore. "The bloodletting."

Jessica: Jess' eyes found the scar easily enough, and she chewed her lip. "Yeeeah.... still not sure I like the idea of that..."

Shaw: Her worry was far too amusing and he closed his fist over the scar. "This is only for the Inner Circle ceremony."

Jessica: "Oh good..." she paused. Then smacked him. "Don't do that."

Shaw: "Harder," he leered.

Jessica: She grinned, stepping close to him, "Later."

Shaw: "I'm counting on it." Returning the grin, he nodded toward the door. "Ready?"

Jessica: "As I'll ever be..." she was more than a little nervous, which was sure to present a problem if she didn't keep a lid on it.

Shaw: Sebastian opened the door for her, but not before giving her a swat on the ass. For moral support, of course.

Jessica: She managed to contain the yelp - barely - and shot him a look over her shoulder.

Shaw: Keeping his expression impassive, he simply placed his hand on the small of her back to guide her to the bar.

Jessica: Jess continued her habit of looking around as she walked where he guided, managing to keep her hands at her sides even though the various surfaces looked inviting. Some of the members seemed to be catching up on business or personal things with friends, others stood alone and observed. One observer seemed to be staring at her longer than most and, though she pretended not to notice, it was making her more uncomfortable.

Shaw: He ordered their drinks, giving the robed inhabitants of the room the once over as they waited. The red, white, and black robes made everyone look much the same - which was of course part of the point.

Jessica: Jess stuck with him, discreetly watching their watcher until their drinks arrived - at which point their watcher made a move towards them.

Shaw: Of course, Sebastian had seen the White King of the London club watching them, but had chosen to ignore him until they were comfortable. "And here is your advocate now."

Jessica: Well that explained the watching but still didn't make her any less uncomfortable. She did offer a small smile, despite this and picked up her drink when it arrived.

Wilson: He returned the smile and inclined his head politely, "Welcome to the home of the Hellfire Club."

Shaw: Taking the other man's hand for a firm shake, he did the introductions. "Jessica, this is Alan Wilson. Wilson, Jessica Drew, returned to her ancestral home it would appear."

Wilson: "Indeed," he returned the handshake then took Jessica's hand and kissed the back of it. "I recognised you at once, of course. You look like your mother."

Jessica: Jess blushed a little, and nodded, "Yes... my dad always said that..."

Wilson: "Of course he did," he smiled, releasing her hand, "I hope your journey wasn't too troublesome?" he looked between them both.

Shaw: "Not at all. We've enjoyed the change of scenery from New York." Sebastian surveyed the other man, who didn't look to be much older than himself. Handing Jess her drink, he shifted his own to his left hand to slide his right around her waist to rest on her hip.

Jessica: Jess was grateful for the comforting gesture, eyeing the other man, "Did you know my mother?"

Wilson: "Mmm," he replied through a sip of his drink, "Yes, quite well actually. Lovely woman."

Shaw: "I'll just bet you did," Sebastian smirked, giving the man a knowing look and a chuckle.

Wilson: He laughed, shaking his head good-naturedly, "She had many friends at the club, friends I'm sure you will reacquire if you have any of her qualities about you... excluding of course her good looks."

Jessica: Jess managed another, more genuine, smile for the man, "Well I guess we'll find out then..."

Wilson: He smiled, "Indeed we will."

Shaw: Oh, indeed. Sebastian watched, taking a sip of his scotch and rubbing his thumb in small circles on the velvet covering her hip.

Jessica: Jess was finding the rubbing of her hip slightly distracting and she shifted slightly closer to Sebastian, "Did you know my father too?"

Wilson: "Yes, I did. Though, not quite as well as your mother - he wasn't here as long as she was." He frowned slightly, "He had some interesting theories, your father, I was given to understand many of them came from conversations here though I was always quite confused as to how... I'm not sure he ever actually discussed his work." He pondered this for a moment longer before smiling pleasantly at Jessica.

Shaw: "I fail to see how biomechanics translates to the social mechanisms of the club, but each to his own, I suppose." The shift was exactly what he wanted, so he smiled slightly.

Wilson: "Yes, that's exactly my point. But I suppose everyone's mind works in different ways," he waved the thought away. "Tell me, do you have any interest in biomechanics?"

Jessica: Jess shook her head, "Not really... Nothing specific anyway... Probably more like my mother where interests are concerned..."

Wilson: "Ah... Spiders..." he shook his head, "Not many interesting species this side of the pond, I'm afraid." He offered another smile.

Shaw: "She's quite taken with black widows," he supplied, smirk still firmly in place.

Wilson: Wilson's eyebrows went up, "Is she indeed?" he smirked a little in amusement, "Well I will have to tell everyone to watch their backs, hmm?" He chuckled.

Jessica: Jess laughed a little too, "I promise everyone's safe. I only bite when provoked."

Wilson: The chuckle became a laugh, "Oh, very good."

Shaw: Taking a sip, he raised an eyebrow, continuing his intensive study of Alan Wilson.

Wilson: "Well, I daresay some of our other members will want to meet you before the initiation ceremony," he took another sip of his drink, "And I'm sure they won't want me breathing down their necks so I will leave you be... unless you have any pressing questions?"

Jessica: Jess opened her mouth to ask but stopped and shook her head, "It can wait til later... it's fine..."

Wilson: He raised an eyebrow, "Oh? Well if you're sure..."

Shaw: He glanced between the two of them. "Would you like a moment with Mr. Wilson, Jessica?"

Jessica: Jess wasn't sure whether she did or did not at this point in time. She chewed her lip, eventually shaking her head, "No... really... it can wait til afterwards..." When maybe she'd be less nervous. "A little more time won't hurt..."

Shaw: "As you wish, my dear." He nodded to Wilson, taking another drink.

Wilson: He bestowed another smile upon the two of them, "Alright then, I will see you in a little while once the preparations have been made. It was lovely to finally meet you." He inclined his head politely to Jessica.

Jessica: Jess returned the smile, "Thank you... you too..."

Shaw: Pleasantries complete, he gave Jessica a small squeeze. "Well, that was fairly painless, yes?"

Jessica: She nodded, glancing up at his face and flashing him a smile before her eyes found the floor again. "I will ask... it just... didn't seem right to do it right now... in case it was something awkward..."

Shaw: "And what, may I ask, were you going to ask him on first meeting?" Now he was curious.

Jessica: "The thing I've been wondering about since I was a child... why did we leave London? What other question is there?"

Shaw: "Ah, yes..." He contemplated this, watching her. "Don't look at the floor; you belong here."

Jessica: "I can't help it... I'm nervous..." she turned a little more towards him, lifting her head to look at his face, "I keep worrying I'll mess up... or step on the hem of these ridiculous robes and fall on my face..."

Shaw: "You're doing fine." With a smile, he pulled her a little closer yet.

Jessica: She smiled, happy to rest against him, "I'm glad you think so." She took a sip of her drink, her eyes still scanning the room and catching snatches of conversation - a few were mentioning her name now and more than a little curious about how friendly she seemed with the White King already and, for that matter, his black counterpart.

Shaw: Sebastian knew she was listening, just as he was, though her ears were better than his. But then, he didn't need to hear them to know what they were talking about. Nonetheless, they seemed to have formed an invisible bubble around themselves. Probably for the best.

Shaw: Shortly, he heard the gong sound and stifled an eyeroll.

Jessica: Jess winced a little at the echoing vibrations of the gong and shook her head. That was unpleasant. She sighed, "I guess it's time..."

Shaw: "Yes, it most assuredly is." He let go of her and flipped her hood up over her hair before finishing his drink to do the same to his own.

IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Shaw: There seemed few stretches of open highway this close to London, so Sebastian was taking full advantage of this one to test the performance of this particular car. Smiling to himself, he glanced over to his more nervous passenger.

Jessica: Jess had been fidgety for much of the evening even after the ceremony, mostly because of it in fact. Except for now. Now she was fidgety because they were going very fast and all she could think about was firey vehicular death. But she wasn't going to tell him to slow down because it was his car and that wouldn't be fair. Maybe.

Shaw: The temptation to give the wheel a jerk was strong, because he was in a much better mood now that they were free of the Wycombe abbey and its gaudy decor. Toying with people was second nature to him, but if startled she might venom blast him. "So, what did you think?"

Jessica: "I think... I'm glad I don't have to do it again..." she attempted to will herself to sit up straight but it was unsuccessful. "The White King seems nice enough though..."

Shaw: "Oh, so does this mean binding is off the table?" He flashed her a dirty grin.

Jessica: She looked over at him, "In a room full of people I'm not allowed to freak out and venomblast? Definitely."

Shaw: He chuckled softly. "I considered if I should warn you of that, but thought you might back out. I have every confidence you could have gotten free of those puny gilded ropes if necessary, even without resorting to electrocution."

Jessica: "Probably... I think it was just all the other stuff... and the robes and the incense... and all the thoughts about cannibals that won't go away..." She curled up a little. "I know it's stupid... but it's kind of hard to put that out of your mind when you're already nervous and trying not to dose everyone with pheromones."

Shaw: "Every member of that godforsaken cult that belonged to the club has been, shall we say, dealt with." Not all of them were dead, but enough to send a clear message.

Jessica: "I know..." she offered a small smile, "But I'm going to keep thinking about it for a while... saw a lot of bad things... I'm sure you can imagine..."

Shaw: "I can," he said softly, and reached over to rest his hand on her thigh.

Jessica: She put her hand on his and closed her fingers around it to squeeze gently. "Seems like I should just expect more nightmares if I'm going to stay on with the X-men... the first time I went out with them was during that whole Apocalypse thing... we were on a highway and I... well... I hadn't had any nightmares for years until the night after that..." she sighed.

Shaw: "Unfortunately, none of us can help what our subconscious minds conjure up." He let up on the accelerator and gave her another glance. The nightmares were something he hadn't been able to escape either.

Jessica: She relaxed a little as he slowed them down, "I wish it was just stuff my brain made up... I think it'd be less horrifying..."

Shaw: "Yes, I meant the way in sleep we can be blindsided by replays of the most horrific things we've experienced."

Jessica: "I had it under control before I went to Xavier's... but it seems like that place is just going to keep piling it on..." she looked out of the window, the countryside was begining to gain more and more buildings as they got closer to the city. "I wonder a lot if I should just leave... but I don't know where else I'd go..."

Shaw: "That school does tend to attract trouble, despite their best efforts and good intentions." They were getting closer to the city, and he slowed a bit more as they encountered light traffic even in the wee hours of the morning.

Jessica: "I think it's more because of their good intentions... the bad ones want to see us fail I guess... well and we're all collected in one place already so they don't have to go and look for us - Xavier does all the hard work..." She turned her head to look at him again, "There's a lot of pressure because of that."

Shaw: "They could use a security upgrade, yes." He took back his hand to downshift, checking the rear view.

Jessica: "There'll never be enough security. There's always going to be another way around it. Mutant or human, they'll find a way. This stuff has been happening for years... if they haven't figured it out by now....."

Shaw: "This is true." Grimacing to himself, he of course recalled when he caused the security breach. Likely, this would star in his nightmares tonight.

Jessica: She shifted in her seat, finally relaxing enough to sit up again, "How do you say no to that whole team thing without seeming ungrateful? Or being made to feel like you're letting everyone down? It's like they don't care that you might go crazy... even if that just means another mess they have to clean up later..."

Shaw: "I believe they used to follow a different structure, where some could choose to handle on-site security and needn't go on missions. Perhaps you could request such an assignment if you so wished?"

Jessica: "But then I'd have to be there all the time... I don't know if I want to do any of it... it's not safe there." She rested her head against the back of her seat. "I feel bad because it's the first place I've ever actually been able to call home... and it was kind of like having a family... but the past few months have been so awful that none of that even feels true anymore."

Shaw: "The feeling may pass, Jess." Now they were in the city proper and he was forced to pay more attention to the road. And remember to drive on the proper side of the street.

Jessica: "I hope so... but it seems unlikely as long as I have all this uncertainty about the team... It's a complete lie that it's voluntary. It's obligatory... and people make you feel like crap for wanting to take a sanity break... that's not voluntary at all... and I still haven't shaken the feeling I was lured there under false pretenses..." she sighed heavily. "Sorry... I'm going around in circles... I'm just thinking aloud..."

Shaw: "It's quite all right, though I'm not sure what to tell you. As you have a job, and now you are rediscovering your past, you could make a go of it on your own, I suppose."

Jessica: "I could... but I don't know what direction I'd go in. I have no idea what I want to do with my life... never really had options before so I didn't think about it."

Shaw: "Well," he said, glancing over at her again, "perhaps now is the time to start thinking?"

Jessica: "Oh I'm sure it is... I'm just still stuck on the where to start..." she scrubbed her face with her hands. "Okay. Too tired for serious time... subject change..." she cast around for one, not really off the serious time stuff but.... "Oh I asked, by the way..."

Shaw: "Ah, I wondered. As I lost track of you for a while during the congratulations." Now curious, and stuck at a light, he looked over to her. She did look far less likely to climb out of the car now.

Jessica: "It wasn't the best answer.... but it was more than I'd hoped for..." she gave him a small tired smile.

Shaw: Sebastian smirked, eyebrow quirked as he rocked the car between gears for the sake of movement. "Of course, feel free to keep it to yourself, but I must confess I am curious."

Jessica: "I suppose I can tell you... it is mostly down to you that I could even ask, after all," She shifted again, "Apparently... he'd taken on some contracts and after my mother died he wanted to spend time with me rather than at work but they wouldn't let him back out of them for whatever reasons... He said, from what they could gather, some threats were made..."

Shaw: "And he ran." Nodding to himself, he started back out when the light changed. "If his contracts were with members of the club, one hopes that they won't hold the imagined sins of the father against the daughter."

Jessica: "Well it's not like I can help them with whatever it was," she laughed a little, "So I'm not sure how holding it against me would get them anywhere."

Shaw: "I agree, however not all are so reasonable." Glancing at her again, he chuckled a little himself. "This is when I should offer you promises of protection and tempt you with employment opportunities, but you know this by now so consider it done and we'll both save breath."

Jessica: "I don't think you'd want me as an employee anyway, I'm sure I'd cause far too much trouble." she gave him a playful smile, "And I'd be a terrible distraction."

Shaw: "A welcome distraction," he smirked. In fact, her pheromones could be quite useful under some circumstances. A point to ponder.

Jessica: She laughed again, "Maybe for you... but not for anyone that wanted to actually get some work done."

Shaw: The wicked grin he gave her said exactly what he thought of this.

Jessica: "Oh I see how it is... you'd hire me to be a distraction? Why waste the money? I'm doing that for free right now."

Shaw: "That you are." He laughed and made a turn through one of the dreaded roundabouts, realizing they weren't far from their hotel now.

Jessica: "Besides... I don't want to have a job that people will say I only got because I'm sleeping with the boss... Well... that and I actually like my current job..."

Shaw: "That is worth rather a lot." Not that he could imagine the appeal of working as a paid companion to the elderly.

Jessica: "I liked my other job too, though... even though it wasn't real..." she frowned, "I liked a lot of those things."

Shaw: It took him a moment to realize to which other job she referred. "You could seek training in the arts." He pulled the car to a smooth stop at the valet stand and got out, waving off the young man and passing him his tip on the way to open her door.

Jessica: Jess gave him a smile as she climbed out of the car, the chill in the air making her shiver slightly. "I could... but that's a huge commitment and I don't know if that's what I want to do either... I think it's a case of too many options now and that's kind of overwhelming... It's really tempting to just do what I always do and not think about the future... but that seems sort of cowardly..."

Shaw: He took off his suit jacket and draped it around her shoulders before offering his arm for the walk inside. "It is rather cowardly," he said bluntly. "However, there's no need to make an immediate decision is there?"

Jessica: She took his arm, leaning against him a little and glad for the jacket. "No... I suppose not... but I should make one soon... otherwise I might waste all these opportunities I've been given and I don't want to do that."

Shaw: "Agreed." As soon as the doors to the private elevator to their suite closed, Sebastian turned to her, eyes traveling over her appreciatively. "I do think you handled yourself well tonight." He smirked. "As I knew you would."

Jessica: She smiled, "Thanks for the compliment all the same... both of them." She loosened her hold on his arm to face him better, "Let's just see if I can keep it up though."

Shaw: His head tilted. "Have you ever been told you worry too much, Jessica?"

Jessica: She laughed a little, shaking her head, "Oh, probably... many times I'm sure."

Shaw: "It causes wrinkles," he tsked, then reached up to cup her face with his hand and smooth his thumb over her forehead. "We can't have that."

Jessica: "I'm too young for wrinkles.... but I'll try to stop. No promises, though. Telling me not to worry is like telling me not to breathe."

Shaw: The ding of the elevator punctuated his snort and he let go of her to let her procede.

Jessica: She went in ahead of him and flopped down on the sofa, deciding she was just going to sleep right there and lying across the seat. It was surprisingly comfortable.

Shaw: Loosening his tie, he slouched into a chair and watched her, amused.

Jessica: Jess rolled onto her side, wriggled her toes until her shoes fell off, then curled up, tucking an arm under her head. It was cosy under his jacket too.

Shaw: "Are you quite comfortable there?" For once, he didn't even want a drink. It was late.

Jessica: "Mmhmm, I think I'll just sleep here..." she snuggled under the jacket.

Shaw: With a soft laugh, he sat up, pulling his tie free from his collar with a hiss of fabric. "The bed is rather larger."

Jessica: "Yeah... but that means I have to get up again... and I don't think I can..." she mumbled.

Shaw: Well, that was a challenge if ever he heard one. Tossing the tie to the arm of the sofa, he got up and scooped her up into his arms.

Jessica: She smiled and cuddled into him instead. "I'm glad you were there tonight."

Shaw: "Of course." Carrying her through the suite, he laid her on the king-sized bed and straightened to unbutton his shirt.

Jessica: She watched him rather than make an attempt to undress herself. Now that she'd laid down she'd realised how tired she was. "It would have been bad if I was on my own..."

Shaw: He didn't mind the audience as he unbuckled his belt with a smirk. "Not at all, my dear, it was my pleasure."

Jessica: "You just liked seeing me all tied up. Admit it." she gave him a tired smirk in return.

Shaw: "That was merely a bonus." He grinned, now down to his boxer briefs.

Jessica: "Flatterer..." she giggled, patting the bed beside her.

Shaw: "Always, but also true." Climbing over her to the far empty side of the bed, he paused to kiss her with a smirk.

Jessica: She smiled, returning the kiss and lifting her arms up around him.

Shaw: His own smile grew and he laid down beside her to wrap an arm around her before breaking the kiss. "It's been a long and interesting day."

Jessica: She nodded, shifting to lie against him, "It has... I'm very tired..."

Shaw: Kissing her forehead, he relaxed and closed his eyes. If she wanted to sleep in her clothing - or his, for that matter - that was her prerogative.

Jessica: She burrowed into his chest a little, closing her own eyes and relaxing fully. She didn't care that she was still dressed, she was far too tired for that to be an issue.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Jessica: The cemetery was vast and eerily silent despite the city all around them, Jess checked their directions and the numbers painted on the small metal signs dotted around every so often. Nearing the location they'd been given, she slowed down a little to pay better attention.

Shaw: Sebastian followed along, enjoying the varied designs of the headstones, statuary, and mausoleums. It rather looked like cemeteries he knew in Pittsburgh.

Jessica: Eventually locating the plot, Jess stepped off the main path to approach it, scanning the headstones for her mother's name. She found it at last and, straight away, moved to brush the dead leaves from it to tidy it up as she had done with her father's the year before. However, she was a little surprised to see it was in better condition than his had been.

Shaw: Ah, they were off the path. Realizing he had best pay attention or lose her, he caught up and stood a respectful distance away.

Jessica: She knelt down and studied the headstone. She'd never seen it before, or the cemetery for that matter. She'd been so young when she died. Not even thirty. On realising she was crying, Jess hastily reached up to wipe the tears away before Sebastian noticed.

Shaw: She thought she was so sneaky. Reaching into his breast pocket, Sebastian moved closer to give her his handkerchief.

Jessica: Jess glanced up at him as the handkerchief appeared in her field of vision. She took it with a small smile before dropping her gaze back to the headstone. She shouldn't be surprised she didn't know what to do now - she'd had the same problem a year ago in Tokyo and she'd known that parent for a lot longer. For now, though, she was content to just sit and wonder how different things could have been.

Shaw: Finding himself at loose ends again, he returned the smile though she probably didn't see it and wandered down the line of headstones a bit, hands in his pockets.

Jessica: She sighed a little, the only other sound escaping from her was the occasional sniff. She shouldn't have to ask strangers what her mother had been like. She should know. It wasn't fair. She wondered then if it was those same strangers that had been visiting her grave and taking care of it in the absense of anyone else.

Shaw: He didn't often think of his own mortality, but this was certainly the place to do it. A man wearing his face inhabited his family grave plot in Pittsburgh, though he'd had the name changed already. What would his parents think of that?

Jessica: It seemed wrong that in death they were separated by thousands of miles when fate had already taken them from each other. Perhaps there was a way to fix it. There was room for another grave beside this one, the plots had been purchased together. He'd clearly always intended to come back to London eventually.

Shaw: Of course, he had paid agents to handle all this for him, as he hadn't been back to Pittsburgh for half a decade. Noting a side-by-side gravestone marking the resting place of a husband and wife, he sighed. Perhaps it was time for a visit home.

Jessica: After another long moment of silence, Jess got to her feet. She looked down at the grave stone and then again at the empty space beside it. "I'll fix this... I promise..." she said quietly, before turning to find Sebastian.

Shaw: Sebastian was a little ways away and had now stopped inside a mausoleum complex featuring a rather disturbing statue. He circled it.

Jessica: "Sebastian...?" Jess called quietly, she didn't really want to break the silence of the place. It felt disrespectful.

Shaw: Now stooping to peer into the veiled and lichen covered face of the figure, he heard her call and answered just as softly as if he might wake the statue. She'd hear him.

Jessica: She did indeed hear him and headed in the direction his voice had come from. "Hey... what're you doing?"

Shaw: He pointed at the blackened statue as if he needed to give no other explanation.

Jessica: Jess smiled and moved over to him, sliding her arms around his waist from behind and resting her chin on his shoulder as she peered at the statue. "If you think that's bad I definitely shouldn't introduce you to the weeping angels."

Shaw: Turning his head slightly his eyebrow went up. "I'm uncertain how people believed such statuary could soothe the bereaved." He rested one hand on hers.

Jessica: "I'm not sure it was all down to that... some of it is definitely just showing off..." She pressed a kiss to his cheek now that it was closer.

Shaw: "It's wouldn't be out of place at the club," he chuckled. "Though likely it wouldn't be pointing to the heavens."

Jessica: "That'd totally ruin the theme," Jess nodded sagely then gave him a grin.

Shaw: "Should I commission something similar for the New York club?" He smirked over his shoulder at her.

Jessica: "Only if you use it to scare the old people."

Shaw: "Hmm. Consider it done then."

Jessica: She laughed, shaking her head and hiding her face against his back for a moment. "I think I'm a bad influence on you."

Shaw: "Oh, hardly," he joined in the laughter, and though he was wary of turning his back on that statue, he did so to give her an inexplicable hug.

Jessica: Jess gladly accepted the hug and gently squeezed on returning it (briefly). "If it wasn't for me would you be thinking about scaring old people with statues?"

Shaw: "Likely not, but I count that as a good influence." He gave her a short squeeze as well, then tried to catch her eye. "I hope you found what you were looking for here."

Jessica: She gave a sort of half shrug, "I don't know what I was looking for.... but I did manage to find something else to do..."

Shaw: "Oh?" He surprised himself a bit that he was in no rush to let go of her.

Jessica: "Yeah... I think I want to see if there's a way to get dad buried beside her.... like he planned.... it doesn't seem right that he's all the way in Tokyo..."

Shaw: "Ah, yes. Of course such things are done, I just believe it involves rather a lot of paperwork."

Jessica: She nodded, "I thought it might... but that's okay..." she offered him a smile and decided another hug would probably be okay because he hadn't let go yet. Hugs were nice.

Shaw: He didn't mind, and for this he would blame their location - he even ventured to nuzzle her hair.

Jessica: She smiled a little, pleased that she'd gotten away with it and just beathing him in for a moment or two before she loosened her hold on him again. "Shall we leave before the statues come to life and try to eat us?"

Shaw: "Yes." The answer probably came a little too quickly.

Jessica: She giggled, stepping back from him and taking his hand rather than his arm. "Don't worry, I'll protect you." She gave him a grin, silently plotting to ambush him with Doctor Who and the weeping angels.

Shaw: "Oh, well that's a relief," he chuckled, intertwining their fingers and walking with her from this eerie place of death.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

Shaw: One of the benefits of procuring files on Jessica's past was in reading them, of course. He wondered if she would recognize the area at all as he drove through the maze of residential streets in Cross Deep.

Jessica: Jess did find herself with an odd sense of familiarity with the area but she couldn't put her finger on why. She frowned a little as she watched out the window, "I feel like I've been here before..."

Shaw: Memorizing the address hadn't been necessary, as the for sale signs were rather prominent. Pulling to the side of the road, he parked the car in front of the brick home. "You would be correct in that," he said, watching her with a faint smile to see if anything clicked.

Jessica: Jess blinked at him, then looked out of the window again at the house, "Why are we....? Oh... Hey... I used to live here..."

Shaw: "Indeed you did. Would you like to take a look around?" He tilted his head, still watching.

Jessica: She looked at him again, "I... um... we can do that?" she looked back at the house then back to him.

Shaw: "Indeed we can, and as the property is for sale I've taken the liberty of arranging a viewing." A smirk played around the corners of his mouth.

Jessica: "Really?" She cast another look at the house then leaned over to hug him.

Shaw: He smiled and returned the awkward hug with a pat. "Let's go then, shall we?"

Jessica: Jess smiled brightly at him then moved to get out of the car, just standing still and looking at the building once the door was closed behind her.

Shaw: Paying off the agent to get the key for a private viewing paid off when he took her hand and led her to the door, only letting go to unlock it and hold it open for her.

Shaw: The house had been empty for some time, it appeared, as it was in fact empty. No furniture, no signs of a previous occupant.

Jessica: The emptiness was a little sad... but she had vague memories of where items of funiture used to be. She paused inside the door to wait for Sebastian but continued to glance around the interior.

Shaw: Closing the door, he followed her inside. "It's quite lovely, Jess."

Jessica: "It is..." she wandered into the living room, "I have sort of... vague memories of being in this house..."

Shaw: He inspected the fireplace and wandered to the back window to look into the back garden. "Yes, I suppose you were quite young. I wondered if you would recall it at all."

Jessica: "Well a lot happened..." she offered, "Maybe that's why..." She crossed the hall into the kitchen and looked out of the larger windows into the sheltered garden beyond.

Shaw: "I also suspected it would look rather different." His voice echoed a little when he followed her into the tiled kitchen, and he decided to just allow her to look around in peace.

Jessica: "Different how?" she leaned against the counter and looked over at him.

Shaw: "Things change in fifteen years." Idly, he opened a kitchen cabinet to look inside.

Jessica: "Well... the walls are still in the same place... and the colourscheme is different but I don't know... it's more like the general feel of the place is the same... does that make sense?" she wrinkled her nose a little at her own incoherance.

Shaw: "It does." Turning back to the hall, he looked up the stairs.

Jessica: Jess followed him out the door and went to climb the stairs. She had patchy memories of running up and down these stairs.

Shaw: At the top of the stairs, he slid his hands into his pockets and followed behind her, looking around again.

Jessica: "I slept in here...." Jess moved over to the smaller of the two bedrooms on this floor and pushed the door open. She paused in the doorway.

Shaw: He glanced over her shoulder into the small bedroom. "I can imagine this room did look quite different then."

Jessica: She nodded, "I remember a lot of bright colours... so probably..." she turned her head a little and smiled at him.

Shaw: He could just imagine what a young Jessica would look like, and it made him smile to himself a bit as well.

Jessica: She took him back across the hall by his hand. "They used to work in here..." more images were coming back to her. "Messy. It was always messy." The room was large, more than enough space for two desks and it had a balcony.

Shaw: Taking the lead, he went to the balcony and opened the French doors, stepping out into the sunshine.

Jessica: Jess followed him out, wrapping both of her arms around one of his, "Thank you for doing this."

Shaw: Sebastian turned toward her and cupped her face with his free hand to give her a kiss. "You're welcome."

Jessica: She smiled at him, one of her hands finding his at the end of his arm and lacing their fingers together. "It's so weird to think of other people living here and still have all these vague memories of stuff happening here when I was little..."

Shaw: "Certainly no one is living here now," he pointed out.

Jessica: "No... but there will be again." She looked out over the small garden. "Better than it sitting empty I suppose...."

Shaw: "The listed price is rather good for London if you were interested."

Jessica: She sighed, looking down at her feet, "There's no way I could afford it..."

Shaw: "I see," he nodded and slid his arm around her. "Well, it's fortunate it was at least available for you to see it, yes?"

Jessica: She nodded, turning into him and resting her head against his shoulder. "It's really nice to be back here, even if it's only for the afternoon."

Shaw: They stood quietly for a while, and then he broke the silence, deciding there was no good time for this. "Tomorrow, I have another meeting at the Ministry of Defense, but I'm afraid the day after I need to go back to New York."

Jessica: There was a pause before she answered, "Oh... already?" She hoped the muffling effect of his shoulder hid the disappointed tone of voice somewhat.

Shaw: "I'm afraid so." The talks with Alistaire Stuart were going quite well, though he would probably need to come back in a few weeks to finalize his deal. "And you plan to continue your European adventure, I assume?"

Jessica: She nodded, managing to lift her head, "There's a few places I want to go and see properly..."

Shaw: "I have very much enjoyed our time together, Jess," he said, somewhat hesitantly for him, and licked his lips.

Jessica: She gave him a small smile, "Me too..."

Shaw: "Certainly you helped preserve my sanity after... everything, and for that I will always be grateful."

Jessica: "Well you've done the same for me so... thank you," she studied his face, a slight worry forming that he was going to kick her out now. She knew she'd have to leave eventually but, all the same, she'd rather put that off for as long as possible.

Shaw: This was now the difficult part, he supposed, and he reached up to brush his fingers across her cheek. "As much as I would like to keep you for myself, neither of us seem terribly well suited for monogamy."

Jessica: She frowned a little, trying to work out where he was going with this. "I was doing just fine until Kevin went wandering off and didn't call me for three months...." Well and until she got so wasted she still had blank patches of most of the night.

Shaw: "His loss," he repeated, still watching her face.

Jessica: "Maybe..." she looked down at the garden, "You've sort of been keeping me all to yourself for the last little while anyway... I haven't really minded..."

Shaw: "Yes, well, I suppose my point being exactly that - I don't want you to feel beholden to me. It's not as if I've failed to notice your impressive self-guilt complex." He was still watching her.

Jessica: She shook her head, "I don't..." she turned back to him, "And I don't feel guilty over this... not anymore... I don't have anything to feel guilty about..."

Shaw: "Oh?" Sebastian tilted his head in question.

Jessica: She shook her head again. "I had to call Kevin... to tell him I wouldn't be at the school if he got home while I was here... I was going to leave a message but he answered... so we talked... and I told him..."

Shaw: "Ah. I'm sorry, Jessica." This was rather unexpected news and it was his turn to look into the garden, brow furrowed.

Jessica: "It's not your fault... don't apologise..." she gently reached to turn his face back towards hers, "I was always going to tell him... and I knew he wouldn't take it well... but it was my decision to end it..."

Shaw: After another long moment of thought, he leaned down and gave her a chaste kiss, then kissed her forehead and pulled her against him. "Once you finish your trip, you are always welcome in my home, for as long as you like or need."

Shaw: Pausing again, he decided to carry on, stroking her hair. "You shall always have a place with me, if you wish it."

Jessica: She wrapped her arms around his waist, smiling a little, "Thank you... I'd like that... I mean... I know I should go back... but I don't know if I'm ready yet... maybe I'll wait and see who they put me with this semester..."

Shaw: "Whatever you'd like to do." Resting his head against hers, he looked at the brick of the house behind them.

Jessica: "You really don't mind?" She tilted her head a little but not enough to dislodge him, "You can tell me to go if I'm in the way or something... you know... there's still that option of a better offer... hereditory hellfire membership or not...."

Shaw: "I certainly don't mind." Closing his eyes, he swallowed. "Jess, I care for you much more than I suspected I would."

Jessica: Jess felt herself tense up a little and she bit her lip, "You do?"

Shaw: That was hardly promising. "Indeed."

Jessica: This was an entirely unexpected train of conversation. She turned her face into his chest, resting her forehead on his shoulder and closing her hands on the fabric of his jacket. "Okay..." she was having a little trouble catching up to it.

Shaw: "It wasn't meant to upset you, so perhaps this was something best left unsaid." Undecided what to do, he stood stiffly in place and studied the wall again.

Jessica: She shook her head, "No... it hasn't... please don't think that... I just... I wasn't expecting that... like at all... so... give me a moment..."

Shaw: Wondering what she had been expecting, he nodded and rested his head against hers again, listening to the sounds of the street and birds.

Jessica: After the longest thirty seconds ever, Jess finally relaxed her hold on him into more of a hug again. "I'm glad you said that..."

Shaw: "Oh?" He forced himself to relax as well.

Jessica: She sighed, "I was worried... I thought you were going to say something else..." She turned her face towards him and pressed a small kiss to the exposed part of his neck. "I said I wasn't going to do this... like I really actually said it to someone... but I like you more than I should too..."

Shaw: "Really then?" Sebastian stroked her hair, still rather surprised himself that this was the turn things had taken.

Jessica: She nodded, "Maybe for a while... I don't know... it's all been a bit confusing...."

Shaw: "I do understand the confusion," he admitted, licking his lips again. "Generally, my track record in relationships hasn't been stellar, but I would be willing to try it again. However, if you need time, I understand."

Jessica: "Time doing what? Not sleeping with you?" She lifted her head to give him a smirk. "I think the time for time has been and gone..."

Shaw: He snorted and one corner of his mouth quirked up. "Not quite what I meant."

Jessica: She nuzzled his cheek a little, "Taking time would probably be only to please other people..."

Shaw: "Well then, I've never been one to worry overmuch about the opinions of others," he said, staring into her eyes intently.

Jessica: "And I don't think I can piss them off more than I already have... so I think we're in agreement there." She met his gaze, a small smile playing on her lips.

Shaw: "Excellent." He leant in, keeping his eyes on hers until he tilted his head to capture her lips in a kiss.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess waited alone by the bright red telephone box at the entrance to the Covent Garden Market. She had arrived early because she had nothing much else to do and was passing the time watching the crowds and not eavesdropping on conversations.

<Lorna> Now that they had manged to escape the cemetery with their souls and not having been sent back in time, Lorna had to admit she was hungry. "This is the place we were going to meet, right?" She looked to Bobby for the verification. "Because I am starving."

<Bobby> "I think so... all these places kind of look alike." Bobby was starting to get homesick for some Taco Bell and driving on the right side of the street.

<Jessica> The accents stuck out over even the crowd to her hearing and the voices were familiar. She smiled, turning to face them and raised a hand to wave and catch their attention.

<Lorna> Lorna saw the waving hand and nodded to it, waving back. "Yep, there we go then." She laughed, leading the way over. "Hey Jess, how has your summer been going?"

<Jessica> She smiled back, "Pretty good, thanks. How about you guys?" she ran a hand through her hair as a strong breeze blew it across her face.

<Bobby> "We almost got taken by weeping angels, but otherwise, we're good!" Bobby gave Jess a broad grin.

<Jessica> "Oh, you too? They're everywhere!" She laughed. "They nearly got us too."

<Lorna> "You should also watch your ankles, you never know when the tiny ones will get you." Lorna smirked, wondering if it was too late to slip off and get a miniature weeping angel to leave around the boathouse or school and scare the shit out of people.

<Jessica> Jess couldn't help glancing down at the floor then she raised an eyebrow at Lorna, "Damn and I'd just stopped checking under the bed."

<Bobby> "Nah, it's Sharky that lurks under the bed, not the angels." Bobby gave her a good-natured wink.

<Lorna> "You're right, Sharky will snag a toe when you're not looking. It's why I've only got the nine." Lorna lied, chuckling.

<Jessica> Jess wrinkled her nose, "I don't make him sleep under the bed - I'd get terribly cold."

<Bobby> Bobby laughed, shaking his head. "Where is he, anyway?" Not that Bobby was too upset that Sebastian Shaw hadn't put in an appearance yet. "Menacing some poor maitre d to get us a table somewhere?"

<Jessica> She shook her head, "No... he had to go back to New York... So it's just me... is that okay?"

<Lorna> "Dandy by me, so, what grub have we chosen for the occasion?" Lorna was more than ready to get her eat on after her sight-seeing.

<Bobby> He decided not to say it was a vast improvement. "Yup, food sounds good, just no eels or anything."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "I promise I won't make you eat jellied eels.... I was thinking pie?"

<Bobby> "Are there kidneys in it?"

<Lorna> "Or shepherds?"

<Jessica> Jess blinked at both of them. "Um... I don't think cannibalism is going to be an issue...? And I guess there won't be kidneys unless you ask for a steak and kidney pie?"

<Bobby> "Are they the worst pies in London?" Bobby was really enjoying teasing Jess, so he crossed his arms and raised both eyebrows in question.

<Lorna> That was it, it was time for Lorna to burst forth in song. "These are probably the worst pies in London! I know why nobody cares to take them, I should know, I make them, but good? No! The worst pies in London! Even that's polite!"

<Jessica> Jess stared hard at both of them for a long moment before deciding they were being ridiculous. She shook her head with a small smile and headed towards the pie shop.

<Bobby> Once Bobby's laughter died down, he slung his arm around Lorna's waist. "Ooooh, that's going to be the next musical now, isn't it?" Following Jess, he knew she could hear. "Should make participation mandatory."

<Lorna> "Do you think I'd bother some of the students if I did? I mean, cannibalism and all...but it was fun when we did it before, I should see how it turns out now. I'm not sure Paige'll like working with me on it though, she'd want to be able to make colourful costumes and I don't think blood red is what she'd have in mind."

<Jessica> "When you say 'mandatory'... that better not mean everyone has to sing because I'm going to hide."

<Bobby> "Spoilsport."

<Lorna> "It's a musical, if you're not going to sing you best bring your jazzhands, missie!"

<Jessica> "I can dance... but it doesn't mean I won't still hide..." she glanced over her shoulder at them, "I'm not really the performing type."

<Lorna> "Then probably best not to enroll in the class, then you don't have to worry about me hunting you down with lyrics with a gleam in my eye. You can just stick to the other classes that'd be my scenery and prop making monkies."

<Bobby> "That's kind of where I always hid, myself," he added, strolling along.

<Jessica> "That has the illusion of being safer... but I'm pretty sure I'll suck at that." Wow the market was busy.

<Bobby> "What's to suck at? It's throwing paint at things and pretending to work while carrying stuff around." He flashed Lorna an innocent grin.

<Lorna> "I haven't had many people come close to failing yet, I'm sure you'll be safe." Lorna just snorted and looked at all the food. "I want to eat everything."

<Jessica> "I don't know if I'll have room in my schedule for arty things..." She spied the purple and white sign of their destination and led the way.

<Lorna> "Then you've nothing to fear from me then." Lorna assured her, following Jess on in.

<Bobby> "There's always room for Jello," Bobby quoted, noticing there were an awful lot of pastry things in here. He started humming.

<Jessica> Jess gave Bobby a shove for the jello comment then smiled pleasantly at the staff in the shop.

<Lorna> "Righto," Lorna drifted after the waitress leading them to a table. "I've all ready loaded myself up on Indian according to the British so it's time to go for some actual English food today I think. My stomach and myself will be pleased by the amusingly named foods."

<Jessica> Jess eyed the menu. She was thoroughly enjoying her newly non-vegetarian diet and today would be no exception. "Ooooh I think I know what I'm having already."

<Bobby> "How about some spotted toad dick?"

<Lorna> "Are there any holes for it to go into? That really makes the meal."

<Jessica> Jess thought about it for about half a second then bopped both of them on the heads with her menu. "You have now ruined my lunch choice for me. Thank you."

<Lorna> "I'm waiting for the British to make a food and call it Fisting. When is that going to happen?"

<Bobby> Bobby's inner fourteen-year-old had completely taken over now and he was giggling hysterically.

<Jessica> "I'm sure if you ask nicely one of the staff here might do that now, just for you."

<Bobby> "That sounds painful. I'll pass." He looked at the menu and gave Jess a bop back, just for that.

<Jessica> Jess poked her tongue out at him, "You never know, you might enjoy it." She threw him a grin.

<Bobby> Bobby cringed and shuddered, then turned the puppy dog eyes on Lorna. "Heeelp meee..."

<Jessica> "I'm sure you could get Jack interested after a few...." she offered.

<Lorna> "Okay, yeah, limitations here, if anyone's going to be fisting Bobby here it's me, thanks."

<Lorna> "Jack will have to go bunny hop someone else."

<Bobby> Bobby made a sickly gargling noise in the back of his throat.

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "You should make it a policy to try anything once. Usually pays off."

<Bobby> "Exit only, babe, exit only." He checked the menu again. "God, do they have booze here? Waitress!"

<Lorna> "We're happy with what's on the menu at the moment, no need to order off unless we feel like it." Lorna joked, picking out the actual thing she was going to order off of the food menu.

<Jessica> Jess continued to giggle, amused. It was nice to feel so relaxed.

<Bobby> "Well, now I'm afraid to order anything with sausage or I'll never hear the end of it," he chuckled.

<Lorna> "I'd avoid anything with eels as well, just to be safe."

<Jessica> That set Jess off again, "Well I'm certainly not avoiding sausage."

<Bobby> "Well my sausage is all spoken for, you'll have to find your own."

<Jessica> "I already did that." She raised an eyebrow at him.

<Lorna> "What about eels, are you avoiding eels? Sharky is particularly sea-y, after all."

<Bobby> "Yeah, but he went back to the batcave," Bobby said, waving a hand toward the east.

<Jessica> "I don't think that's any of your business." Jess replied with a fake air of haughtiness.

<Lorna> "Eels don't sound overly pleasant, wriggly, sure, but narrow."

<Lorna> "Plus that's just a huge little swimmers joke all in and of itself."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "It is, congrats." She smiled at the waiter that came to take their orders and placed hers - Toad in the Hole - then waited for the inevitable jokes.

<Bobby> "Does he know you call it that?" Bobby waggled his eyebrows at Jess as soon as the waiter was out of earshot. "Or was that code and you were hitting on the waiter?"

<Jessica> "I'm not hitting on anyone." She leaned back in her chair.

<Lorna> "Now I'm going to call Shaw Mr. Toad. It can't not be done." Lorna chuckled, ordering herself.

<Bobby> "Bwahahaha!"

<Jessica> "Oh God, please don't say that to his face..."

<Bobby> "Well I for one don't plan on bending down to say it to little Shaw." Bobby was way, way too amused. Payback was a bitch.

<Jessica> "Well good because I don't think Sebastian would be into that."

<Lorna> "What, he isn't into trying new things either?" Lorna chuckled wickedly and settled back in her chair. "I make no promises about calling him Mr. Toad but I don't see him that much anyway so you're probably safe."

<Jessica> "Oh no, he's very adventurous." Jess nodded sagely and gave Lorna a wicked grin.

<Bobby> "Bleargh," Bobby deadpanned. "So you didn't go back with him, obviously. You gonna kick around England by yourself for a while?"

<Jessica> She shook her head, "No... well maybe for a few more days... then I'm going off to the mainland for a while."

<Lorna> "Sounds like a good time." Lorna nodded. "May as well, for soon the school will have you at it's mercies soon enough."

<Bobby> Bobby slurped his soda, wondering if Jess was even gonna bother moving back as he watched her.

<Jessica> "Well maybe... Or maybe I'll just hideout for a bit longer - I haven't decided yet." she gave a half shrug.

<Bobby> "Where?" It was a tossup at this point, he figured. "You staying here, or with Sharky?"

<Jessica> She frowned, "Huh... I hadn't thought of that... I guess I could stay here now... I have a house and everything..."

<Bobby> Bobby gave Jess an odd look over her soda. "House?"

<Jessica> She nodded, "Mmhmm... deeds and keys arrived this morning... Still not really sure what to do with that."

<Lorna> "Well hey, always nice, how exactly did you get it though?"

<Jessica> Well this was going to be awkward how ever it came out so.... "Uh... Sebastian bought it for me..."

<Lorna> "Hahaaa, sugardaddy house. Well, I know what you're going to do with it now." Lorna joked, glad to see their food arrive.

<Jessica> Jess gave a tight smile at that comment and was pleased for the distraction of food. "It's the house I lived in before we left London..."

<Bobby> The food distracted Bobby as well, but he still had to snort at Lorna's comment, then he looked up at Jess. "Oh? Like when you were a kid?"

<Jessica> She nodded, "We went to look at it the day before he went back... it was for sale... but there was no way I was going to be able to afford it..." The food smelled good but the topic of conversation was putting her off starting on it.

<Lorna> "Well, that is pretty nice, definitely something good to have for now or for whenever you're done with school or whatever you decide."

<Bobby> "Sounds a little too nice," he muttered, trying to figure out how to eat this pie thing.

<Jessica> "I didn't ask him to buy it... he just did it and didn't even tell me... first thing I knew about it was when all the stuff arrived this morning..." she chewed her lip, "It's not..." she paused, "It's not what you said..." she glanced at Lorna, "At least... I hope it isn't... it shouldn't be..."

<Lorna> Lorna glanced to Bobby to see his opinions and if they went with hers. What else would it be?

<Bobby> "Did you sign anything in blood? Remember, I told you to watch out for that."

<Lorna> "Because it'll summon other Sharkys." Lorna nodded mock seriously.

<Jessica> "No there was no blood. Not even at the Hellfire club." She shook her head. "But I did do the other thing that I said I wouldn't do... but it's actually okay." She wrinkled her nose a little, "Sort of... I think we're in a relationship now... maybe... I don't know..."

<Lorna> "Sounds..." Lorna wasn't sure that nice was the right word and complicated didn't sound like a thing to say. "confusing."

<Bobby> Bobby had tackled the pie and was now caught with a full mouth, but his eyebrows did the talking for him.

<Jessica> "Little bit..." she shrugged, "Surprise?" she offered, then decided it was time to attempt her food.

<Lorna> Lorna wanted to stick with confusing with her answer for that as well but just chuckled raising her drink. "Well, I wish you luck no matter how confusing."

<Jessica> Jess gave her a smile, swallowing her bite of food, "Thanks."

<Bobby> "So... let me get this straight - Sharky bought you a house... and you're his girlfriend now?" Bobby gave her a highly convoluted head bob. "Yeaokey? Better watch out, he wants your firstborn."

<Jessica> "No no... the other way around... we were at the house when we talked about that stuff... but he didn't buy me the house til after... And I really can't see him with kids... like at all..." That was a weird mental image. She shook herself. "Don't think that's going to be an issue."

<Lorna> "It depends on what bloodrites they need that night." Lorna chuckled into her pie.

<Bobby> "Ding! Lorna got it!" He gave her a grin before taking another bite.

<Jessica> Jess frowned, "He's been nothing but good to me... kind of starting to get irritated by all the digs at him..."

<Bobby> Bobby cocked his head at her reaction.

<Lorna> Lorna decided to mimic Bobby's positioning just for the sake of it, taking another bite of her pie.

<Jessica> Jess frowned all the harder, "What?"

<Bobby> "You missed the part where he's the black whatever of something called the Hellfire Club?"

<Jessica> "King," Jess filled in, "And so what? I met the White King of the London club this week... also I'm a member now..." she gave another shrug. "What's wrong with that?"

<Lorna> "You know what? Not getting into it." Lorna announced and stuffed her fork again. "Hopefully he is fine with you and everything but just be careful, yes?"

<Jessica> "I wish people would stop telling me to be careful and just trust that I can actually manage to make competent decisions...."

<Bobby> After his bite, Bobby took a drink. "Well, it's just concern, but yeah... you're a big girl. I just hope he isn't buttering you up for something."

<Lorna> "So, so many cannibal jokes there, luckily he wasn't one."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "For what? What could he possibly want from me that he couldn't just ask for? It's not like I don't already feel like I owe him a bunch of stuff... But he hasn't asked me for anything... just company. Which I'd give for free anyway."

<Bobby> "Okay, babe. Okay." Bobby hid his expression behind his drink. "So, where all you planning on visiting during your European vacation?"

<Jessica> "Oh, you know... all the tourist traps... mostly because I've been to all those places and never got to be a tourist."

<Lorna> "You've got a lot of sightseeing to do then, lots of places to cover."

<Bobby> "From what I've seen, I think Europe's just one big tourist trap." He nodded over his pie... there might be eels in there after all.

<Jessica> "Yep... looks that way..." she nodded to both. "I'm a little worried though... my Greek's more than a little rusty... so I could have problems if I get too lost in Athens."

<Bobby> "Gyro? That's all I got."

<Jessica> She laughed, "Yeah you'll get far with that."

<Lorna> "Well hey, you'll stay fed, that's pretty important. Even if it's not as much of a fun name as these lovely foods."

<Bobby> "In my mind, a pie should have some cherries in it. Or an apple." Bobby took another bite of the meaty pie. "Maybe a pot."

<Jessica> "Well there's those too... but why should pastry be limited to sweet foods?"

<Bobby> "This is good... just kinda different, I guess." Bobby had poked it in inspection just as much as he'd eaten it.

<Lorna> "I'm disappointed? No pi jokes? I know you're not teaching math anymore but the nerd in you should demand some 3.14."

<Jessica> Jess was quite liking her food too, "You know what the best part is about being here? The food is nice... but it's not as good as going into a cafe and asking for a pot of tea with milk and sugar and not getting looked at like you're a crazy person."

<Bobby> Bobby laughed. "You guys and tea. And you wonder why us damn yankees make jokes."

<Lorna> "We just put it in the harbour so you could scoop some out whenever you liked!"

<Jessica> "Ewwww not cold and salty!" Jess wrinkled her nose.

<Bobby> "Iced tea isn't bad, at least it's got caffeine," Bobby defended.

<Lorna> "And, if you're in the south, diabetic shit tons of sugar!"

<Jessica> "It's better hot. Much better."

<Bobby> "I'll take your word for it, Lady McJess." He saluted her with his fork.

<Jessica> Jess raised an eyebrow at him, wondering what on earth she'd done to earn that nickname.

<Lorna> Lorna simply chuckled and added her own salute. "I'll drink it all but all in all wish it were coffee instead, no offense."

<Jessica> "I'm sure that's fine if you can drink coffee. I don't hate it... it just messes me up."

<Bobby> "It's supposed to - it's coffee."

<Jessica> "Except I'm immune to caffeine so it's not the fun messing up."

<Lorna> "In any case that just leaves more for me." Lorna said cheerfully, finishing up her pie. "I'll admit, this was better than I thought it would be, we'll have to try and find some back home in the city."

<Jessica> "There's probably some somewhere. There's all kinds of crazy things so why not pie?"

<Bobby> At that, Bobby started singing softly about the worst pie in New York.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Arriving back from lunch and a wander around the market, Jess flopped onto the sofa in the hotel room and dug her phone out of her pocket, checking the time. After doing the math, she decided that 11am was a much more suitable time than 3am to be phoning and scrolled through her contacts, hitting call when she found the number she was after.

<Shaw> The phone on his desk buzzed and Sebastian ignored it for the time being, intent on finishing up his duties for the morning before Emma began asking him to sign orders. Perhaps he could stall her with a coffee request?

<Jessica> After a few rings, Jess figured she was in for a long wait and lay down on the sofa, kicking her shoes off and staring at the ceiling. Answer your phone!

<Shaw> Finishing his last keystroke, he looked at the phone and smirked to himself, forgoing his usual response. "Good afternoon, my dear."

<Jessica> "Why do I have a house?" Oh right she forgot to say hi, "I mean... hi... and house. Why?"

<Shaw> "Oh, I've had a rather typical day at the office, thank you," he went on, now thoroughly amused by her fluster.

<Jessica> She frowned for a moment then rolled her eyes, "And I went to lunch with Bobby and Lorna and told them you bought me a house!"

<Shaw> "Well, I did, so good on you." This was far too entertaining.

<Jessica> "But why did you buy me a house?" She sat up and ran a hand through her hair, "What's it for?"

<Shaw> "Because I wished to buy it." He got up and went to the office window to look out over the city. "It's for you."

<Jessica> "But why? Sebastian... there's no way I could ever reimburse you for that amount of money... and I haven't done anything to earn it.... have I?"

<Shaw> "I don't want to be reimbursed, Jessica, it's a gift. You may keep it, sell it, rent it out for some additional income for yourself - whatever you like. It's yours."

<Jessica> "And I'm very grateful... but here's the thing... when Danny gave me the bike and the computer I was very angry with him because it didn't feel like a gift... it was too much... it felt more like a payment... for services rendered... and I'm not saying you meant it that way but some things were said and I can't help having that fear in the back of my mind..."

<Shaw> "And what things were these?" Sebastian watched a pigeon on a ledge across the street as it hopped along.

<Jessica> "Oh, you know... just silly things... like you wanted my firstborn or something...."

<Shaw> "Aaah, things said by our friends from the school then." He didn't bother to keep the laughter from his tone.

<Jessica> "Mmhmm... I kind of get the impression they don't like you very much... I told them to knock it off... not sure that went down very well either." She frowned, "So it's really just a gift and nothing else? Really really? And you're not going to use it against me later?"

<Shaw> "They turned down my invitation to the club some years ago," he said by way of dismissal. "Well, I believe asking for your firstborn may be a bit premature."

<Jessica> She made a small sound of irritation. "Sebastian. Please just answer me properly... I'm going to drive myself crazy with this otherwise..."

<Shaw> He chuckled softly. "It is a gift, only that."

<Jessica> "Okay... okay..." she sighed, "Thank you." She got to her feet, moving over to the window in the hotel room, "How's New York?"

<Shaw> "You're welcome." The pigeon was joined by another. "I seem to have acquired a new houseguest." Her reaction to that would be interesting.

<Jessica> She blinked, "You did what now? Who?"

<Shaw> "There's a Stark in my garage and she won't seem to leave."

<Jessica> "She's staying in the garage?" Jess was even more confused, "What is she doing there? Isn't she supposed to be with Tony or... you know... bodyguards or something?"

<Shaw> "Well, you had lunch with her bodyguard today. She has... the other two." He never recalled their names, and he didn't let them in anyway. "But she sheds them with alarming frequency. I've been keeping Tony appraised of her situation."

<Shaw> "She refuses to leave her lover's car."

<Jessica> "Oh... that doesn't sound healthy.... have you considered calling in someone to talk to her?" She wasn't going to ask where Hope was going to the bathroom.

<Shaw> "Likely, she would vanish if I tried. At least I've coaxed her to eat a few times - more than her Stark diet at any rate."

<Jessica> Jess rubbed her forehead a little, "Do you want me to come back and try?"

<Shaw> "For the time being, I'm inclined to give her some space, as I told her that was what I could offer her. She is very much like her father."

<Jessica> "Except for the sleeping with anything with boobs part. If she starts doing that it's really time to panic."

<Shaw> "I shall be sure to add that to the list of warning signs," he chuckled, then smirked. "Unless she extends an invitation to me to watch this, of course."

<Jessica> "Just as long as watching is all you're doing." She leaned against the window, watching the boats on the river.

<Shaw> "I have, in fact, already accepted one of her invitations in your honor," he said, voice low. "When she essentially told me to go fuck myself." Then he laughed. "Such a charming girl, if a little less subtle than Tony."

<Jessica> Jess laughed, "Oh yeah, subtle as a brick to the face." She shook her head, "And I'm flattered, I'm sure."

<Shaw> He grinned. "As you should be."

<Jessica> She smiled, resting her forehead against the glass, "I miss you... Europe's going to be weird without you there."

<Shaw> "I may find cause to visit, if you'd like."

<Jessica> "I would like... but only if you think it's okay... I mean, with Hope and everything...." She moved back to the sofa, "I've gotten so used to having you around all the time..."

<Shaw> "Much like a decorative accent?" he teased.

<Jessica> She giggled, "Noooo you're good company... It kind of feels empty without you here."

<Shaw> "I feel the same, Jess, despite the garage tennant. Perhaps in part because of her."

<Jessica> "I guess we'll have to see if you can trust her not to trash the place... or get rid of her. You know, before I get too lonely and come back early."

<Shaw> "I would certainly not object to this." The two pigeons suddenly annoyed him and he turned away to look for coffee instead. "What are your plans, if I may ask?"

<Jessica> "I'm going to go and be a tourist. That is my plan." She got to her feet again, deciding to change her clothes before she went out for dinner. "I thought I'd go to Paris first... relatively simple trip from here... then head over to Italy where I plan to make a few stops and then Greece... I don't know if I'll have much time after that."

<Shaw> "That does indeed sound like a full itinerary," he agreed. "I do hope you enjoy yourself, though perhaps not too much without me. You could stop at some of the clubs if you wished."

<Jessica> "I could... but that wouldn't be very touristy of me now, would it?" She held her phone between her cheek and shoulder as she unbuttoned her shirt, "And I will try to enjoy myself as much as I can without you even though that might be hard."

<Shaw> "That would depend on the kind of tourist you intend to embody, would it not?"

<Jessica> "Well I've never been a tourist before so I'm not sure what kind I'll be." She put her phone on speaker and put it down on the bed so she could move around at the same time.

<Shaw> He noticed the change in audio quality. "What on earth are you doing?"

<Jessica> "Getting changed for dinner," she smirked a little, "Wish you were here?"

<Shaw> "As if you needed to ask that." Now he did need that coffee.

<Jessica> She laughed softly, taking out one of her dresses, "Well at least I know you'll be thinking of me."

<Shaw> "Endlessly, and much to Hope's disgust, I'm sure. Perhaps I've determined the real reason she won't come out of the garage - for fear she'll see something she'd rather not."

<Jessica> Jess laughed again, "Oh now you're onto something. I suggest you test that theory as often as possible... and record your results to share with me later."

<Shaw> "Your friends may be onto something as well, though they ascribe the title of devil to me, it's you who seems to be the true master of temptation." He smirked.

<Jessica> "I told you I was a bad influence." She reminded him, the tone of amusement clear in her voice, "I was trained to tempt. I know what I'm doing."

<Shaw> "I believe you, wholeheartedly."

<Jessica> She smiled, sitting down on the bed and picking the phone back up, switching it back from speaker to normal conversation. "Much as I would love to take you to the shower with me and torment you some more, I'm not sure my phone will survive that so... I'm going to have to go soon."

<Shaw> "And I am in the office, though now I'm far too tempted to take a long lunch."

<Jessica> "You could start your experiment early," she grinned.

<Shaw> "I may need to do just that." After a beat of silence, he sighed and checked the time.

<Jessica> Jess moved on into the bathroom, "I'm sure I'll be thinking of you too."

<Shaw> That earned her a chuckle before his tone turned seductive. "Please do. I would especially like you to think of the morning after your initiation." Smirking at the memory, he decided he needed that coffee before he thought of it too much himself. "And with that, I'll bid you a good evening, my dear."

<Jessica> She laughed again, "I just might... I hope the rest of your day is good... See you when I get back... if you want I can call and let you know how I'm getting on."

<Shaw> "Please do - I may even call you, if it wouldn't disturb your tourist adventure."

<Jessica> "It won't, you can call me any time you like." She really didn't want to hang up but if she didn't leave soon she'd miss her reservation, "I hope grumpy Stark gets better soon."

<Shaw> "As do I," he chuckled again. "Thank you, and I will call you soon then."

<Jessica> "I'll look forward to it... Bye, Sebastian..." Yep. Hanging up was hard.

<Shaw> He gave her his final farewell and hung up with a secretive smile. Now, where was that coffee?

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess smiled at the taxi driver as he gave her her change and got out of the car, thanking him and wishing him a good afternoon. She pushed a hand through her hair and headed for the front door of her house. Her house. It was still beyond weird to think of it like that. She fished in her pocket for her keys and wondered which room this paperwork she needed to collect would be in.

<Jessica> She left her handbag by the door after closing it behind her then went on towards the kitchen which seemed the logical place as it was the only one with table-like surfaces. She found an envelope on the counter then reached up to close one of the cabinates, spying something inside. Frowning in slight confusion, she opened it instead.

<Shaw> Ah, finally. Though he had some time to kill since his meeting with Stuart anyway, he was beginning to get a bit antsy that she might not show up tonight. Knowing that if she was paying attention she could probably even hear his breathing, he waited a little longer, leaning against the brick just outside the garden doors. While his ears weren't quite as good as hers, he could clearly hear her every movement inside.

<Jessica> Jess took out the bottle and the two glasses she found in the cabinate then listened for the sounds of another person nearby. She located the telltale sound of breathing and moved towards the doors to the garden.

<Shaw> Hmm. It appeared he'd have to work harder to sneak around this one. Sebastian knew he'd been discovered when he heard her move closer, so he turned and stepped into view, reaching for the door handle. Then he actually saw her and was forced to pause in his action.

<Jessica> Jess smiled and waited for him to catch up to himself.

<Shaw> Opening the door, he returned her smile. "My... you look beautiful, Jess."

<Jessica> "Thank you." She stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around him, still holding the bottle and glasses. "This is a nice surprise."

<Shaw> "Indeed, for me as well." Sebastian embraced her, one hand immediately drawn to her long blonde hair as he looked down into her eyes. "Travel has suited you quite well, I see."

<Jessica> "It's hot in the mediterranean. Too hot for dying my hair. So I fixed it." She gave him another soft smile before closing the distance remaining for a kiss.

<Shaw> She was blonde, and tanned... he tilted his head to deepen the kiss quickly, pulling her against him with one arm and burying his hand in her hair at the back of her head to secure her to him.

<Jessica> Jess gladly returned the kiss, tightening her hold on him as best as she could and wishing she'd put the things down. She'd missed him.

<Shaw> Kicking the door closed behind him, he moved further into the kitchen, walking her backward to the counter awkwardly as she made him lose all coordination.

<Jessica> She walked back until she hit the counter then set the glasses and bottle down either side of her before sliding her arms back around his shoulders and pushing her fingers up into his hair. Better.

<Shaw> That left a perfect space for her in the middle and he lifted her up onto the counter. He peppered her mouth and jaw with open-mouthed kisses, mumbling endearments under his breath and working his way down her neck. Already, he was sliding the straps of her flimsy sundress off her shoulders.

<Jessica> She closed her eyes, tilting her head back to give him better access to her neck. "I missed you..." she muttered, hissing a little when he found a good spot.

<Shaw> His hands had already found their way up her thighs, pushing her dress up. Capturing her mouth for another fast, searing kiss, he broke off and pressed his forehead to hers, searching her eyes and out of breath. "You asked me once if I would miss you... I think now you have your answer."

<Jessica> She smiled at him, "Mmhmm, and I think I even believe it." She tilted her head to ghost her lips agains his teasingly for a moment before kissing him properly.

<Shaw> Oh, a challange, was it? He growled into her mouth, hands going to her hips under the dress to drag her close and press her against his own. "I wanted to take my time with you tonight..."

<Jessica> "There'll be plenty of time for that tonight... for now it's still the afternoon so I don't think it counts." she smirked a little.

<Shaw> "Then what on earth are we waiting for?" With a wicked grin, he rocked his hips into her teasingly.

<Jessica> "I'm sure I don't know," she smirked, wrapping her legs around his waist to keep him pressed against her.

<Shaw> He gave her a hard kiss, breaking away to nip at her throat. One hand snaked between their bodies and the muffled sound of his zipper carried to both of their overly-sensitive ears.

<Jessica> The feel of his hand between them pleased her too, her fingers curling slightly in his hair. She turned her head, allowing him to still pay attention to her neck but lightly nipping at his too.

<Shaw> Irritated that the cut of his suit wasn't cooperating, Sebastian pulled back from her long enough to fumble with his belt.

<Jessica> Jess thought about pausing and waiting for him but... why? She mouthed his earlobe and ghosted her lips over the sensitive part of his neck as she dragged her hands down over his chest then slid them up inside his shirt. With a small grin against his neck, she gave him very light static shocks from the ends of her fingers.

<Shaw> That tore a groan from his throat and just made his coordination worse. With a frustrated snarl, he broke the leather of the belt at the buckle, then pulled back to turn his gaze to her.

<Jessica> She gave him another grin, "Problem?"

<Shaw> "Hardly." The tingling shocks were driving him quickly wild and he caught her wrists, forcing her arms to her shoulder level, then urging her to lean back further on the counter until she was stopped by the wall.

<Shaw> Letting go of her wrists, he stroked her thighs again, reaching up to hook her panties and slide them down her long legs. Once she was bared to him, he gave her a predatory grin and dragged her to him by the hips.

[Time Passes]

<Shaw> Sebastian wrapped his arms around her and stroked her hair, still trembling more than a little. Eyes squeezed closed, he tried to catch his breath.

<Jessica> She smiled, turning her head to burrow a little into his neck and breathe him in, letting out a soft sigh and pressing a kiss to his neck just below his ear. "This was a good surprise."

<Shaw> He smiled against her skin, and after a beat, raised his head to meet her eyes, studying her face with a sincere, open expression. Then, he smirked and rolled his hips into hers one last time. "Only a good surprise? I'm wounded."

<Jessica> She groaned a little, her back arching at the sensation, "And I don't think I can come up with a better word right now... thinking is hard." She gave him a chaste kiss on the lips and lifted her head properly.

<Shaw> "Better," he chuckled, raising a hand to cup her cheek and give her a soft kiss. "This was remarkable, and I confess well worth the wait." His grin turned wicked. "And we have all night, perhaps more if I clear my calendar... and I might have to."

<Jessica> "Mmm, please feel free..." she claimed his lips again for a proper kiss and secured her hold on him again.

<Shaw> Smiling again into the kiss, he threaded his fingers into her sweat-dampened hair, enjoying the feel of her wrapped all around him.

<Jessica> Breaking off the kiss with more than a little reluctance, she rested her forehead against him and closed her eyes while she caught her breath, "We are never going to leave the kitchen if we keep this up."

<Shaw> "This is very true, and that would be a shame, since we should at least go upstairs," he said with a sly grin.

<Jessica> She laughed, stroking her fingers through his hair, "Tempting..."

<Shaw> He withdrew from her with a last kiss, a sigh, and then a hiss at the cool air. Only then did he fully realize something troublesome.

<Jessica> Jess shifted a little to get more comfortable in her seat on the edge of the counter, letting her legs fall back to either side of him but ensuring he stayed close with her arms around his shoulders.

<Shaw> Rubbing his hand over his face, he licked his lips, then finished zipping back up. After raking his eyes over Jessica's relaxed pose, he decided the damage was done so it was pointless to alarm her any sooner than necessary.

<Shaw> Instead, he pulled his ruined belt free and looped it around the back of her neck to bring her in for another kiss.

<Jessica> She returned the kiss, studying his face a little when they broke apart. Something was up... Then it registered what that probably was. Her eyes widened a little as her brain caught up. Oh crap. Whoops. She bit her lip. Don't freak out.

<Shaw> Ah, there it was. "It seems we were a little too eager to reunite," he said with a rueful grin.

<Jessica> She nodded, returning the grin with a slightly uneasy smile of her own. She wrapped her arms tighter around him for a hug instead. "Oh well..."

<Shaw> Returning it, he sighed. "I am perfectly healthy at least, so you have no cause for concern there." Pulling back, he looked at her questioningly.

<Jessica> "Well that's a relief..." she looked away, pushing a hand through her hair, "I am too, by the way... just in case you were worried... I'm usually a lot more careful than that..." and now she was disappointed with herself.

<Shaw> He nodded, as it was a relief. Up to this point, they had been careful. "As am I." Sebastian chuckled a little. "Believe it or not, I am always cautious... but you seem to have an unexpected effect on me." He brushed his fingers lightly over her hair, helping her to straighten her dress.

<Jessica> She pulled a slight face, "Probably the pheromones... sorry...." she turned her face into his hand, "I really need to work on that."

<Shaw> "It's not just the pheromones." He ran his thumb across her cheekbone to turn her face back to his.

<Jessica> "How do you know that's not the pheromone's talking?" She gave him a sly smirk, knowing she had talked him into a corner now.

<Shaw> His eyebrow quirked. "It's doubtful they worked through the garden door, in the very instant I laid eyes on you."

<Jessica> She smiled properly at that, catching his lips for a tender kiss and attempting to relax. There was no point worrying about it now.

<Shaw> Cupping her face in his hands for the kiss, he grinned once they broke apart. "No, I'm fairly sure it's the blonde hair."

<Jessica> She laughed, "If I'd have known it was going to have that effect on you I might have gone blonde sooner."

<Shaw> "As if you gallivanting off across Europe wasn't enough of a trial, if I had seen your hair I wouldn't have gotten any work done these last few weeks as I would have invited myself along for the trip."

<Jessica> She laughed again, "You can come on my next trip?" she gave him a cheeky grin and zapped the end of his nose.

<Shaw> This, of course, made him sneeze.

<Jessica> Jess laughed a little and 'ew'd then gave him a hug. "So... is there actually paperwork in there or was this all an elaborate scheme to get me here alone?"

<Shaw> "Both, actually," he chuckled, still excusing himself. Stepping back from her, he offered her his hand off the counter. "But I have something else to show you."

<Jessica> She took his hand and slid off the counter and onto her feet. She considered collecting her underwear but... eh, it could wait.

<Shaw> Sebastian hadn't forgotten her underwear, and he scooped it up and pocketed it with a smirk before scooping up the wine and glasses as well.

<Jessica> She laughed again and shook her head, "I might want those back later so don't 'lose' them, okay?"

<Shaw> "Of course not," he grinned, leading her up the stairs and to the large second-floor lounge.

<Jessica> She paused in the doorway, looking around the room. There was furniture. She looked at Sebastian, "Did you...?"

<Shaw> "Would you prefer if I tell you it was Santa Claus? Perhaps just a tad early." He went into the room and set the wine on the table next to a basket.

<Jessica> "I didn't even know santa was a thing until I got to Xavier's so... probably too old for that." She followed him, sliding her arms around him, "Thank you."

<Shaw> "You're quite welcome, you poor, deprived child. Even my parents indulged in that fantasy." He smiled, kissing her forehead and holding her.

<Jessica> "It's okay... you can't miss what you never had... like the gifts thing, still getting used to that too." She wrinkled her nose, "It's not as bad as it sounds..."

<Shaw> "Well, now at least, if you need a private retreat, you have one - place to call your own."

<Jessica> "I do... thanks to you." She smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek, "I don't know how I'm ever going to repay you..."

<Shaw> "I'm very pleased with just your smile - that is repayment enough." He gave her a somewhat more ironic smirk at his own line. "Seriously, however, I wished to do something for you, and I could think of nothing better than to give you back something of the past you lost... something that could help you build a future."

<Jessica> She gave him a squeeze, "You've already done so much for me, Sebastian... given me more than anyone else... You didn't need to do this... but thank you... really... I can't say it enough..."

<Shaw> "You have done more for me than you know," he said, lifting a hand to brush his fingers across her cheek. Glancing at the French doors to the balcony, he nodded. "Of course, I'll also admit to some selfish interest in wishing to give you something by which to remember me."

<Jessica> "Why? Are you going somewhere?" she raised an eyebrow at him, "I'm not going to forget you, Sebastian... you gave me back the past I'd lost..."

<Shaw> "Well, I must go back to New York, at some point and you weren't entirely sure you wished to remain at your school..."

<Jessica> She sighed, "I'm still not sure... but I don't know what else I'd do... I have a life there, such as it is... so I'll go back and see how it goes... I think knowing I have somewhere else to go will help.... and that includes somewhere with you, if you'll still have me."

<Shaw> "Of course," he said with a small smile. "I've told you you're welcome. More than welcome."

<Jessica> She smiled back, kissing him softly on the lips before loosening her hold on him. "Then no more talk of this 'something to remember me by' business..."

<Shaw> "Well then, let us celebrate." He reached into the basket for the corkscrew, and started pulling out a few items - fruit, cheese, crackers. "To your new home, and to a successful deal for me, struck just today."

<Jessica> "You came prepared," she laughed a little, "But congrats on the business deal."

<Shaw> "Thank you, my dear. I always do, I just don't apparently always take advantage of my preparations," he said, opening the wine.

<Jessica> She smiled, moving to sit on one of the chairs. "I feel like I should take at least seventy percent of the blame for that...."

<Shaw> "Not at all. This was a fifty-fifty error in judgment. However, you could have more lasting consequence from it than I."

<Jessica> Her nose wrinkled a little at the thought of that and she shifted uncomfortably. Shaking it off, she decided to change the subject, "Are you going back to New York tomorrow?"

<Shaw> "Perhaps," he said with a smirk, pouring their wine and taking a seat.

<Jessica> She frowned a little, "Well it's just... if you're not... there's one more stop I want to make before I go back there..."

<Shaw> "Oh? And where would you like to go?" He took a sip of the wine, then rummaged through the basket for a knife.

<Jessica> "Tokyo..." she chewed her lip, "I want to visit my dad's grave... and maybe get some stuff moving with getting him relocated...."

<Shaw> "I would quite enjoy a visit to Tokyo under more pleasant circumstances than last time."

<Jessica> She smiled, "It would be nice to have some company..." And maybe this time she wouldn't get dragged to a business meeting right after visiting the gravesite or made to feel guilty for being upset about it. "Maybe stay for a few days...? The last time I was there I didn't stay as long as I'd planned to..."

<Shaw> "I shall clear my calendar." Sebastian returned her smile and offered her some of the food on a napkin. "Once we do return to New York, I have a new project that will get me back in the lab again. It promises to be a welcome change from paperwork."

<Jessica> She smiled warmly at him, taking some of the food with a quiet 'thank you'. She cocked her head on one side with interest at the talk of a project, "Well that's good. Something fun?"

<Shaw> "Quite." He picked up a piece of cheese and considered it before taking a bite. "Robotics, actually, so it should be quite interesting."

<Jessica> "Just as long as it's not my bike." She gave him a smirk.

<Shaw> Sebastian summoned up his most innocent expression. It was a stretch.

<Jessica> Jess stared at him for a long moment. "Please tell me you didn't do anything to my bike."

<Shaw> He smiled his most charming smile.

<Jessica> "What did you do to it?!"

<Shaw> "Nothing," he laughed, amused at her panicked expression.

<Jessica> She smacked him, "Don't make fun of me! And don't scare me like that!"

<Shaw> "Well, nothing permanent," he amended, enjoying the slight jolt.

<Jessica> She smacked him again, a few times for that, "Not funny!"

<Shaw> "It's fine," he stifled his laughter, somewhat. She really still hadn't realized smacking him was no punishment? "I promise, it's just as you left it. All I did was take a closer look at some of the more interesting components."

<Jessica> "It better be! I'm quite attached to it, you know."

<Shaw> "I considered installing an artificial intelligence component, but I decided it was a liberty I shouldn't take." He took another sip of wine, still smirking around the glass.

<Jessica> "Artificial intelligence? Like that crazy robot that runs the Danger Room? You were going to put that in something that can go at over a hundred miles an hour?"

<Shaw> "But I did not design Danger, so there is no comparison, my dear Jess." He smiled. "You could just consider her a rather sophisticated global positioning system."

<Jessica> "Danger is batshit and dangerous and she created herself from what I hear. You take your life into your hands asking her to run programs for you..." She shuddered a little at the memories of easter.

<Shaw> "More or less, but the she I was referring to was the AI I had considered for your motorcycle." He watched her assessment of Danger with interest.

<Jessica> "And what would it be for that I couldn't do myself?" She cocked her head on one side.

<Shaw> "Perhaps nothing, but perhaps more than you think." Taking another bite, he considered this. "When we return to New York, I'll show you a few things. Let you decide for yourself," he finished with a wink.

<Jessica> She frowned a little, "Okay... I guess I can agree to that."

<Shaw> "Excellent." He smiled at her frown. "I promise, I didn't hurt your baby."

<Jessica> "Well we'll see when I get back." She narrowed her eyes accusingly, but only for a moment before her expression turned more playful.

<Shaw> Reaching under the table, he ran his fingertips up her thigh, his eyes trained on hers and one brow up.

<Jessica> She hissed a little at the tingling sensation that ran through her at the feel of fingers on her skin. "Is this your apology for making me worry?"

<Shaw> "If you like," he said, dirty grin back in place. Her rising goosebumps just made him dance his fingers along a sensitive area of her inner thigh.

<Jessica> "I do like..." she shifted in her seat, lifting her foot into his lap and offering a suggestive smirk.

<Shaw> "Well," he sucked in a breath when her toes brushed him. "Then allow me to offer my most sincere apology."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess took Sebastian's hand as they made their way out of the cemetery in Tokyo after visiting her father's grave. She'd tidied it up a little even though she hoped he wouldn't be there too much longer - she still intended to have him moved to London.

<Shaw> The cemetery was not a place he had visited before in Tokyo, and he was sure he wouldn't be going back. The endless maze of markers was unsettling. Twining his fingers with Jessica's he gave her a glance.

<Jessica> Hearing the movement, she turned her head and offered him a small smile. "Thanks for coming with me..."

<Shaw> "You're quite welcome." Two tall Westerners were a strange sight in the cemetery for the locals, who looked up from their prayer sticks and stared until they passed.

<Jessica> She gave his shoulder a gentle nuzzle, "I came here for the first time last year... it was different..."

<Shaw> "Oh?" Changing his mind, he let go of her hand to slide his arm around her. It came surprisingly naturally.

<Jessica> Jess leaned against him a little and put her arm around his waist. "I had to go to the hospital first... to try and find out where they'd buried him... and then I came here... I'd never been to a cemetery before... or really seen one..."

<Shaw> "Never even seen one?" That earned her another glance as they wound their way to the gates past the various temples.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "Not to my knowledge... I knew they existed... but I was indoors ninety-five percent of the time... and the time I was outside we were moving from one house to the next... not a lot of time to look around... unless I sneaked out."

<Shaw> "You have led a very interesting life," he mused. "I venture a guess that you sneaked out often then?"

<Jessica> She nodded, "As often as I could... until I was fourteen anyway... then I stopped..."

<Shaw> "What happened?" The torii archways finally spilled out to a street and he was rather relieved.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "Surprise new power... bad things... dad was really pissed... not that it mattered much by that point because I had no desire to do any more sneaking..."

<Shaw> "Ah, yes... may I ask the circumstances?" He unconsciously started to lead them to the nearest place he thought might have coffee.

<Jessica> She sighed, the subject was uncomfortable for several reasons - not the least of them being that the only other person that knew what had happened was Kevin. "It was late... dark... there was a guy... he came out of nowhere and grabbed me and I panicked..." She held up her free hand, charging a venom blast. "This happened."

<Shaw> "The manifestation of a new ability is always difficult," he agreed, eyes immediately drawn to her hand. The variation of abilities was always fascinating to him.

<Jessica> "I wouldn't say always... some of them were fun... and just fine... and not deadly..."

<Shaw> He nodded in understanding. "Acting in your own self defense often leads to ...over extension of those new abilities."

<Jessica> She watched the energy flicker over her hand a moment longer before dismissing the charge, flexing her fingers at the memory of the first time. "It hurt..."

<Shaw> "Yeah, it often does," he said with a sigh and spotted a promising cafe.

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip a little, allowing him to steer her towards the cafe as she debated asking. Eventually she decided it was okay though the wording presented further problems. She frowned a little at herself.

<Shaw> Pulling out a chair for her, he caught the familiar scent of coffee and since there were other Westerners here he was satisfied with his selection. He ordered coffee for himself and tea for Jessica in perfect Japanese, however.

<Jessica> Jess managed a smile for him as she took her seat and looked around the cafe, her senses adjusting to the barrage of scents and sounds. "Sebastian... can I ask you something?"

<Shaw> "Yes, of course," he said, looking up at her with a small smile at her seeming nervousness.

<Jessica> She chewed her lip a little, because it felt like rather a personal question, "How... how did your ability manifest?"

<Shaw> "Which one?" He tilted his head with a smirk, studying her face.

<Jessica> She gave a small shrug, "I don't know... all of it?"

<Shaw> "Twenty years ago, we weren't so common. If my eyesight and hearing were better than average during public school testing, it was simply a curiosity." Still watching her, he went on. "The telepathy was a little more difficult to explain away."

<Jessica> "I can imagine... probably wasn't so great for you either..." she wrinkled her nose a little.

<Shaw> "Indeed, it made puberty an absolute joy." The smirk was back now.

<Jessica> She laughed, "I guess it would be helpful to know what other people are thinking... but I still think it's intrusive."

<Shaw> "It is, though in those first years my intrusions were entirely unintentional. There was no one to teach me how to control this ability, no way to filter my own thoughts from others." He shook his head and stopped himself as the waitress reappeared.

<Jessica> She glanced up at the waitress with a smile and thanked her in Japanese for her tea. "That doesn't sound like fun at all..."

<Shaw> "No." He didn't elaborate, instead sipping his coffee, which was tolerable, and hot.

<Jessica> She let the silence hang in the air for a moment and stared at her tea before glancing up at him again, "What about the last one?"

<Shaw> "That came five years later." For a while longer, he debated how much to share. "I was seventeen and had just been accepted to MIT on scholarship, but the celebration turned into a funeral. My father."

<Jessica> She gave him a sympathetic look at that, it was horrible to lose a parent.

<Shaw> That earned her a slight smile and he paused to take a drink again. "At the local bar, let's just say, to turn a phrase from home, that my mouth wrote a check my ass couldn't cash." Sebastian paused to watch her reaction to his native accent.

<Jessica> Jess blinked at him. That was... not right. She cocked her head on one side while her brain tried to find familiar sounds hiding in the accent and wrinkled her nose.

<Shaw> Sebastian laughed.

<Jessica> "That is... really jarring.... please don't do that again...." she said after another long pause.

<Shaw> He grinned. "It was rather jarring for me as well. No worries." Pausing for another sip, he sighed. "There were three of them - locals, with pickup trucks and baseball caps."

<Jessica> "Sounds lovely..." she stretched her arm out across the table to take his free hand.

<Shaw> It shouldn't have surprised him, but it did, just a bit. He curled his fingers around hers. "Suffice it to say, we all ended that evening in the hospital, then jail. I was only lucky that before the manifestation of my ability they had tenderized me to the point where it didn't arouse suspicions. Just another bar brawl, albeit a vicious one."

<Jessica> "You're lucky it happened when it did then..." her eyes travelled from their joined hands, up along his arm and to his face, her head tilted to one side.

<Shaw> "Yes, that synchronicity of need and manifestation has always interested me." Noticing her gaze, he tilted his own head questioningly.

<Jessica> "I sometimes used to think about what would have happened... if my venom blasts had never manifested..."

<Shaw> "It's something that's probably best not dwelt upon." Likely, if his hadn't, his mother would have had two funerals to attend.

<Jessica> She nodded, throwing him a small smile before picking up her tea. "I don't do it anymore... far worse things to dwell on instead," she smirked a little before she took a sip.

<Shaw> "And better." He squeezed her hand.

<Jessica> She returned the squeeze, "Much better... I like having good things to think about... it's a welcome change..." she gave him a proper smile.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Shaw> The shinkansen bullet train was as fast as advertised, and the service in the "gran" class was quite good, though Sebastian had kept his amused thoughts on the name to himself. At the moment, he was watching his companion watch the countryside zip by from her window seat as he sipped his scotch.

<Jessica> Jess hadn't been on a lot of trains, actually she was struggling to think when she'd last been on one other than the last time she'd been in Japan. Watching out the window was starting to make her a little dizzy though, so she finally turned her attention back to Sebastian, offering a small smile.

<Shaw> He inclined his head at her and raised his glass in a small salute. "Enjoying yourself?"

<Jessica> "I am, actually," her smile turned into a grin. "I think I'm going to be sad to leave Japan."

<Shaw> "Good," he smiled. "I've always been rather fond of Japan." Checking his watch he glanced past her out the window. "The best view of Fuji as a whole is coming up in a few minutes."

<Jessica> Jess wrapped her arms around one of his and hugged it. "I'm having the best time."

<Shaw> "I'm glad," he said, twisting and leaning in to give her a brief kiss.

<Jessica> She happily returned the kiss, giving him another smile and nuzzling his shoulder a little when they broke apart. "I'm really lucky we happened to be in the same hotel that night..."

<Shaw> "Indeed." He smirked, studying her face for a moment before glancing beyond her out the window again.

<Jessica> She settled her head on his shoulder and watched out the window again for the view that was apparently coming.

<Shaw> Sebastian watched the top of her head, expression unreadable. Slowly, he sipped the scotch.

<Jessica> The view was breathtaking and Jess squeezed his arm a little (maybe too hard) and sucked in a breath.

<Shaw> She was lucky it didn't bother him, and broke his reverie. Sucking in a breath, he saw what she did and kissed her through her hair. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

<Jessica> She turned her head to give him a smile and nodded, "It is... definitely wouldn't see views like this if we'd flown or something."

<Shaw> "No, we would not. It's hardly private, but not much in this country is," he chuckled, glancing around them. At least he had managed to buy out their row and, as it was the first, leg room wasn't an issue.

<Jessica> "Yeah... it'd be weird if I was used to things being another way I guess... but privacy was never something that was a thing... well except for all the hiding... but I don't feel like that's the same thing..." she frowned. Maybe it was the same thing?

<Shaw> He frowned at her slightly. "It must have been very strange and rather lonely... just you and your father."

<Jessica> She thought about it for a moment then shook her head, "No... not really... I didn't remember it being another way... not properly... sometimes it was frustrating but when I got really irritated I just shut myself in my room and read a lot... or sneaked out..."

<Shaw> "Did your self-defense training come before or after your manifestation incident?"

<Jessica> "I'd had some before... but he got more obsessive over it afterwards... understandable really..." She loosened her hold on his arm with one of hers so she could take his hand. "I saw less and less people after that though."

<Shaw> "It does make you wonder what he was so very afraid of," he mused, lacing their fingers together with a smirk.

<Jessica> "Mmhmm, I've wondered that for as long as I can remember. Probably never find out... unless it catches up to me and tells me itself."

<Shaw> "It best be polite if it does," he said with a frown, squeezing her hand.

<Jessica> "Damn well better or I'll just punch it in the face," she nodded sagely and gave him a grin.

<Shaw> Meeting her gaze for a moment, he just smiled.

<Jessica> On impulse she closed the small distance between them for a kiss.

<Shaw> After kissing her lips, he broke away to kiss her forehead and looked out the window. Their transfer was coming up soon.

<Jessica> ((Time passes ¬.¬))

<Jessica> After being shown to their rooms and getting their things where they wanted them, there was still a bit of time before dinner so they decided to take a look around. Their first location being the woods that were, supposedly, haunted.

<Shaw> "Sea of trees is a fitting name indeed, wouldn't you say?" Sebastian paused to read the sign. It urged people to think of their families before committing suicide within the bounds of the park. "...how charming."

<Jessica> "Definitely fitting..." she glanced at the sign too, "Well that's lovely..." she wrinkled her nose a little.

<Shaw> "How odd... it is beautiful, if quiet. I can't imagine what would possess people, well, frankly, to commit suicide at all, but why here?" He took her hand and led them down the trail into the woods.

<Jessica> Jess gave his hand a squeeze, "Maybe that's why... just because it's peaceful..." though, in her opinion, the lack of any wildlife noises was very disconcerting.

<Shaw> "Perhaps the yurei wish to be alone in here... they've scared off all the birds." He craned his neck back to look overhead as they walked.

<Jessica> "Not just the birds... everything..." She glanced around, "There's like... nothing here... except tourists.... it's kind of creepy now."

<Shaw> "It's almost tempting to lower my shields to see if there's anything worth sensing..." He slid a glance sideways at her.

<Jessica> Jess turned her attention to him, "You mean besides me, right?" She raised an eyebrow, her expression playful.

<Shaw> "I meant any things of the undead persuasion," he said, swinging their joined hands. "Unless you're feeling particularly suicidal today, which I do hope not."

<Jessica> She shook her head, smiling at him, "Far too happy to even contemplate that nonsense." Catching their hands on the up-swing, she brought his hand to her lips and kissed the back of it. "But if you want to go on a ghost hunt, I'm game."

<Shaw> He had to admit she had a disconcerting habit of disarming him. Fascinating. "We can consider it a scientific inquiry," he nodded as they continued deeper into the silent woods.

<Jessica> "For science!" She laughed, "You could totally pull that off as a battle cry if we do find ghosts."

<Shaw> Laughing along, he led them just a bit off the trail. Having no desire to actually get lost out here, he checked his phone's GPS to make sure they had signal.

<Jessica> Jess leaned close to him and whispered into his ear, "I can fly."

<Shaw> "...it never hurts to be cautious," he smirked, giving her a swat on the ass for her sass.

<Jessica> She giggled, "Scared?"

<Shaw> "Not of the dead, no." Sebastian looked around and picked a tree, leaning back against it.

<Jessica> "And what else is out here to be afraid of? There's only me..."

<Shaw> He quirked a brow at her suggestively, then closed his eyes.

<Jessica> Jess wandered around the tree he was leaning against, trailing her hand over the bark and working on keeping her thoughts to herself.

<Shaw> Everything was quiet, though not entirely so. He could hear faint movements in the underbrush, and muted chirps. The woods were still odd, but not lifeless. Mainly, however, he sensed Jessica. "You're doing an admirable job, koibito, but you still leak a bit."

<Shaw> Opening his eyes, he moved around the tree to intercept her. "I'm hardly afraid of you."

<Jessica> She laughed a little, "Well what else am I supposed to think?" she cocked her head on one side, studying his face, "There's nothing else here."

<Shaw> "Nothing we can see, but there are other tourists, surely, and it's always good to be cautious in such an isolated place, my dear." He cupped her face in his hands and lowered his voice. "The last time I let down my guard, I awoke on a meat hook."

<Jessica> She slid her arms around his waist, stepping up close to him, "You know I wouldn't let anything happen to you if I could stop it, right? I almost never switch off..."

<Shaw> "My concern isn't only for myself," he said, toying with her hair.

<Jessica> "You don't have to be worried about me... not too much... I can take care of myself," she gave him a small smile, "But it's nice that you do..."

<Shaw> "I believe you." He tucked her hair behind both ears. "Well, I can't say any revelations from the other side have come to me so far." Touching her, however, had already intensified the presence of her mind.

<Jessica> "Oh well, maybe ghosts just have better shielding than I do." She gave him a grin.

<Shaw> "This is very possible," he laughed.

<Jessica> She drew him a little closer, "It's okay, my thoughts are probably more interesting anyway... less depressing."

<Shaw> His eyes widened before he could school his features. "No, depressing is not the word for this." She was projecting, and he regretted they were in the middle of these weird woods.

<Jessica> She grinned, pleased with the reaction she got, "Maybe the ghosts need some waking up."

<Shaw> "Ah, for science," he said, giving a wolfish grin in return. Deciding it was time for a bit of turnabout, he did some projection of his own as he bent down close, not quite brushing her lips with his own.

<Jessica> She faltered a little at the thoughts that weren't her own entering her mind, an unfamiliar experience. But she recovered enough to close the gap and tighten her hold on him.

<Shaw> Sensing her falter, he stopped and pressed his forehead to hers. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and reassembled his years of shields.

<Jessica> The thoughts cut off as suddenly as they'd started, she tilted her head and gently brushed her lips over his cheek. "You just surprised me..."

<Shaw> "I don't wish to make you uncomfortable," he said, voice soft.

<Jessica> "It's not uncomfortable..." she hugged him as she was most of the way there already. "Just unfamiliar..."

<Shaw> "It's all right." He still hadn't moved. "Someday, perhaps, I can show you what it's like."

<Jessica> "Okay," she turned her head, pressing a kiss to his neck. "Someday it is."

<Shaw> "Someday," he echoed, eyes still closed. Normally, he would have no qualms about taking her right here and now exactly as he wanted, but the place seemed to have an effect on him. "Let's go back to the room, shall we?"

<Jessica> Unbidden into her mind, came the image of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. She giggled. "Someone's scared of ghoooosts..." she took his hand to pull him back through the trees.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Shaw> His own shadow was reflected on this wall, elongated and unnatural-looking. It was not alone. Looking up, he took in the chain-linked manacles resting in the crook of a wickedly sharp hook – a meat hook. He coughed, sucked in a breath, gagged again on the smell.

<Shaw> “You'll get used to it. The smell, that is. I don't know where we are... not far from the docks. I hear the ships sometimes... cranes. Nothing to do but listen..."

<Shaw> Lost in the dream, Sebastian twisted in the expensive sheets, his breath hitching.

<Jessica> Jess stirred beside him, half awake she slid an arm around him and cuddled close to him. She mumbled a little in her sleep.

<Shaw> A thin, rat-like face seemed to materialize, hovering just in front of his own. It wasn't William Mann's real face, of course... it belonged to Mickey, the other prisoner. Sebastian never saw Mann's real face until after he was dead - not until his sister showed him a photo.

<Shaw> "Too bad I can't copy your powers too, huh?" It was the same voice, but his face now. Then, just as abruptly, it wasn't - the skin sagged, hair sloughing off. "Too bad for me, huh? Took your face, and your place."

<Jessica> Jess woke up a little more as his elevated breathing and heartrate reached her ears. Something was wrong. She sat up a little, rubbing her eyes and running a hand through her hair before gently placing a hand on his shoulder. "Sebastian...?"

<Shaw> The cold metal room stretched and changed, the stains on the walls multiplied - lengthening, straightening, marching off into the distance. They were surrounded by trees now, he and this face that was his. The smell overcame him as his own rotting mouth opened unnaturally wide.

<Shaw> "This should be you!"

<Jessica> Jess sat up properly, giving him a small shake, "Sebastian... wake up..."

<Shaw> Already face-down in the pillow, he lurched away from the touch, still more than half asleep. His hand went to his throat - no collar. Staring at her, panting, eventually he realized what he was actually seeing. With a groan, he collapsed back onto the bed.

<Jessica> Jess chewed her lip, watching him for a moment before reaching to touch his cheek gently, "Are you alright?"

<Shaw> "Just..." His voice cracked, and he stopped, pulling back from her and clearing his throat. "Just a dream." Rubbing his hand over his face, he wiped the wetness from his cheeks, though probably too late. "Don't concern yourself."

<Jessica> "If I said that to you, would you leave it alone?" She pushed a hand through her hair again, studying his face, or what little of it she could see in the darkness.

<Shaw> For whatever reason he didn't want to analyze at the moment, he moved close to her, wrapping both arms around her and burying his face in her neck. Eyes squeezed closed, he tried not to think, but his breath hitched again to betray him.

<Jessica> Jess was a little taken by surprise but she recovered quickly, sliding her arms around him and holding him tightly, she stroked his hair and pressed a kiss to his temple.

<Shaw> Unsure how long it took, eventually he calmed himself enough to shift and rest his chin on her shoulder. "It was just a dream," he repeated.

<Jessica> "I know... but sometimes dreams aren't very nice..." she said softly, "It's okay... you're allowed to be shaken up by things... only human, right?" she turned her head, brushing her lips lightly over his ear.

<Shaw> His breath hitched for an entirely different reason. "Well, we're supposed to be rather more, aren't we?"

<Jessica> "Something better," she smiled a little, giving him a squeeze, "But it's still okay to be scared sometimes... no one's indestructible..."

<Shaw> "Oh, but we both know that mutation does indeed exist," he said conversationally, as if everything was perfectly normal, but his hand tangled in her hair, stroking it and watching the blonde strands glisten in the dim light.

<Jessica> "Physically maybe... but the mind is harder to protect..." she mirrored the gesture, stroking her hand through his hair. "Doesn't matter how hard you try... sometimes pretending everything's okay isn't the best way... can't fool yourself..." her tone was gentle, her voice barely above a whisper. She wasn't going to push it but if he wanted to talk...

<Shaw> He hummed slightly in agreement, but didn't talk for several more long minutes, instead turning his face back to her neck to breathe her in, holding her close.

<Jessica> She rested her cheek against his head and sat in silence with him, holding him tightly. She felt a little guilty for teasing him about the ghosts now.

<Shaw> Eventually, he pulled back a little and kissed her cheek. Sitting up, he ran both hands through his hair and sighed. "Thank you..." he said, more than a little awkwardly.

<Jessica> She cupped his cheek with her hand, smiling at him a little, "You don't have to thank me for this... it's really the least I can do.... and I think I owe you something after all my freakouts..."

<Shaw> "I'm not keeping score." He turned his head and kissed her palm, taking her hand in his own and holding it with both of his on his lap. Brushing his fingers over her skin and caressing her knuckles, Sebastian sighed again. "He was your age. The man who died in my place."

<Jessica> She gave his hands a gentle squeeze, "I'm sorry..." she looked down at their hands in case he would rather she didn't see his face right now.

<Shaw> "It was him... the dream, that is. While I realize it is simply survivor's guilt, it's harder to convince the unconscious mind of such." Raising her hand to his lips, he kissed her fingers again. "Just as you said, koibito, you can't fool yourself."

<Jessica> Her eyes lifted to his face, "I know what it's like... to blame yourself for something that was really out of your control... I would tell you it gets easier... but that's not been not my experience of it..."

<Shaw> "As I told Hope earlier this summer, you just become more accustomed to the pain." This time, he met her eyes in turn, seeking them out in the dark.

<Jessica> She nodded, cocking her head on one side and giving him a small sad smile, "I hope you don't have to suffer this much with it all the time though..."

<Shaw> "You have made it easier for me," he said, squeezing her hand again.

<Jessica> She smiled, "I'm glad I can help... you've helped me too, you know that, right? You gave me somewhere to go when I didn't have anywhere... you were right, what I was doing was dangerous... and stupid..."

<Shaw> "Well then, we're very helpful to each other." Sebastian smiled slightly. "Together, we can persevere more easily than alone, yes? Keizoku wa chikara nari, since when in Japan, do as the Japanese do and use many proverbs."

<Jessica> She laughed softly, leaning to catch his lips for a tender kiss, "I spent a long time going through these things on my own... dealing with it on my own... and then I got friends... and realised I wasn't actually dealing with it at all... it's easier now I think..."

<Shaw> "Very good, my dear Jess." After the kiss, he stayed close, studying her face. Friends reminded him of something, however, and he frowned. "Speaking of friends, I'm afraid it slipped my mind earlier but I received an email from my attorney."

<Jessica> She blinked, that was a strange subject change. She was sure her confusion was written all over her face, "About what?"

<Shaw> "About your mysterious benefactor." He chuckled at her expression and kissed her hand again. "My apologies, I thought it best to tell you while I remembered, but it can wait if you prefer." It was the middle of the night, after all, he recalled with a glance at the clock.

<Jessica> "Oh..." she wanted to say she could wait... but she couldn't. "Any progress?"

<Shaw> "Yes, and no," he said, licking his lips. "The accounts from which the funds are transferred seem to not exist."

<Jessica> "... But... they have to exist... otherwise how would they transfer...?" She was confused now. And worried. More worried than she had been when it started about where it came from.

<Shaw> "Well, there is certainly some electronic trickery involved. He was able to locate dummy accounts, created and rerouted throughout the world, but when he tried to track them to the source, there was nothing there." Sensing her concern, he slid one arm around her.

<Jessica> "Why would someone go to all that trouble?" she leaned against him, "I don't get it... don't they think I'd want to thank them or something?"

<Shaw> "I agree, it's more than strange. It's the same situation with your cellular phone, but likely with the added knowledge that your benefactor most certainly monitors your usage of the phone."

<Jessica> Jess shifted uncomfortably, "I think I should get a new phone..."

<Shaw> He nodded in agreement. "Considering your guardian angel has worked so hard to stay hidden and you don't know his or her true intentions, it would probably be prudent."

<Jessica> "Job for tomorrow then..." she nuzzled his shoulder, "Thanks for trying..."

<Shaw> "It was nothing." Closing his eyes, he kissed her forehead and stayed there. "And thank you, again," he said softly.

<Jessica> "You're more than welcome," she assured him, sliding her arms around his waist. "Any time."

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> The Tokyo club was a much different experience to London or New York. Jess liked it a lot better (which she quietly admitted to Sebastian only moments after they arrived). Her eyes scanned the room, but she couldn't see any familiar faces. More new people. She idly wondered how anyone kept track of all the names.

<Shaw> "Yes, it's a different atmosphere. All clubs take on the flavors of their host nations to a degree." Sebastian saw many familiar faces, and set about greeting them in his flawless Japanese, and introducing them to Jessica.

<Jessica> Jess returned their greetings in her own flawless Japanese and smiled at the surprise and the compliments that followed. When you came down to it... these guys were all the same. Smile and laugh in the right places and you could have them eating out of your hand.

<Shaw> There was a bit more screening and smaller rooms in the Tokyo club, and he led them through to a more private bar. "I would like you to meet someone."

<Jessica> "What kind of someone?" If this was a 'make the bedroom more interesting' thing, they were going to have words.

<Shaw> He glanced at her, noting the suspicious tone with a raised eyebrow. "My counterpart in the Tokyo club... I came to him for assistance after my escape."

<Jessica> "Ooooh then I need to thank him." she smiled, "Profusely."

<Shaw> "Not too profusely, I do hope," he smirked, sliding his arm around her.

<Jessica> She laughed, snaking an arm around his waist and leaning into him a little. "I promise to be good."

<Shaw> "Oh, that you always are," he chuckled, kissing her temple. The small mixed group of men and women were seated on the floor, and Sebastian let go of Jess to step in front of her and bow to the middle-aged man at the center of the low table.

<Shaw> "It's good to see you again," he said, in Japanese, and straightened at the older man's acknowledgment. "And this time, under better circumstance. I'd like you to meet one of our newest members, Jessica Drew."

<Shaw> "Jess," he held out his hand to her. "Meet Black King Tanaka Tatsu'o."

<Jessica> Jess moved back beside him and bowed politely to Tokyo's Black King, giving him a smile. "Pleased to meet you, I hear I owe you some thanks."

<Tanaka> "I was just helping an old friend," the man responded, then asking them to join him.

<Shaw> "Of course." Sebastian nodded and offered Jess a cushion first.

<Jessica> Jess smiled at Sebastian and took a seat, "I'm very glad that you did." She smiled at Tanaka again.

<Tanaka> The man's dark eyes darted from one gaijin to the other. "Yes, I can imagine that you are."

<Jessica> Jess didn't need to be a mind reader to know what that look was for. She threw Sebastian a small grin and fell into silence, glancing around at the others assembled at the table.

<Shaw> Sebastian smirked and reached for her hand.

<Tanaka> His eyes rose to welcome a newcomer. "Ah, look who it is."

<Jessica> Jess took Sebastian's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. She couldn't help glancing up with the others, even though she had no idea who the guy was. Just that he was older than Tanaka by the looks of him.

<Shaw> "Ah, it's good to see you," Sebastian greeted the elder and made the introduction of Jess. "This," he went on, "is the White King, Oyama Kenji."

<Jessica> "Oh... hello," Jess gave a polite bow to him too. Yep. Names. Voices she could do but so many names. She worked on remembering the voices and names of people she'd been introduced to so far this evening.

<Oyama> Making his greetings, he gave the young New York businessman an appraising look and made himself at home without invitation, lowering himself to a position next to the young woman.

<Jessica> Jess worked on not getting unsettled by his choice of seat, there were only a finite number of places around the table after all. But, after the New York club and all its old people creepiness and cannibals, it made her a little wary of them now. Which wasn't entirely fair.

<Shaw> "Kenji, I'll be starting work soon on a new project and may need to call on you for a bit of consultation, if you're amiable to that," Sebastian said, keeping Jessica's hand and leaning past her to talk to the old man. As usual, he had to work to avoid looking at the scarring on his face, which made him appear even older than his true age.

<Oyama> "You would come to me for help now, but you did not have such trust in me earlier this year, Sebastian Shaw." A servant poured the newcomers' sake and Kenji took his small cup.

<Jessica> Jess wanted to say something but it wasn't her place to go jumping to Sebastian's defence nor, she suspected, would he appreciate it. Mind you, she didn't appreciate being talked around but she sat quietly and frowned at her drink. It was going to be one of those evenings.

<Shaw> "Would you have helped me if I had?" His gaze flicked to Jessica's profile and he gave her hand a squeeze, lowering his shields just a tad. May I?

<Oyama> He smiled, showing yellowed teeth, and then laughed as if Shaw had made a fantastic joke.

<Jessica> Her grip on his hand tightened a little at his voice in her mind, out of surprise, but the surprise never made it to her face. Better than sitting here and biting my tongue I suppose...

<Shaw> "Well then, you have your answer, Oyama Kenji." Sebastian smirked and turned his attention back across the table, talking to Tanaka about seemingly meaningless things, including the weather. This, koibito, is just one of the many uses of telepathy.

<Jessica> And it's totally rude. It's like speaking in another language in a room full of people that don't understand it... or whispering to each other at the dinner table... actually, that's exactly what this is. Whispering at the dinner table. That's what we're doing. And there was no filter now. The frown was gone from her face almost the instant it arrived as she picked up her sake.

<Shaw> As if you wish to hear us talk of the market, recent mergers, and baseball. Oh, and the early monsoon season. Fascinating. Sebastian's own smile was hidden behind his cup and he kept up his end of the light conversation easily enough. It's hardly rude if you look at it from the perspective that I'm keeping you entertained as my guest here this evening. Why then it's positively the best of manners.

<Jessica> Well we can look at it that way all we want but what would they think if they knew? I'm sure they'd imagine all kinds of crazy things passing between us right now... she could also think of a few things and hid her grin behind her cup because she was sure they'd found their way over.

<Shaw> Sensing what she wasn't saying, he ran his thumb over her knuckles teasingly. Tanaka's imaginings would probably be quite right, but Oyama... well, he's more likely to be thinking of what he would like to do with you himself.

<Jessica> Creepy! Not cool. She suppressed a shudder as she remembered the night in the club when Angel had seen fit to rescue her from the attentions of another old member. If this one took her hand she was going to punch him.

<Shaw> It was quite interesting to see how her mind worked, he had to admit. He is not a cannibal, at least. Oyama is human, yes, but he has more interest in machines than in mutants. His company works in robotics as well.

<Jessica> And I'm sure no one thought the others were cannibals either... they were also perfectly respectable business people... they just happened to also be batshit insane. Like Eddie... except he'd never been a respectable anything and the X-men still hadn't seen it coming. Xavier was either lazy or an idiot.

<Shaw> My, there was a lot going on in her head, wasn't there? He gave her an amused glance as he continued the conversation at the table. While I wouldn't trust Oyama with my life, I can assure you he is no cannibal. That particular madness never reached this far, because Pierce was an interminable racist.

<Jessica> Well thank heavens for small mercies. She quietly drank her sake and let the conversation wash over her. It's a lot easier not to eavesdrop here...

<Shaw> It's why I came here... I installed much of the Inner Circle, including Tanaka, so I knew who I could trust. The conversation had turned away from him as well now, and he took full advantage of the lull to give her a completely mental caress. Not too terribly bored, I hope?

<Jessica> Her back straightened a little at the sensation, No, it's kind of nice... to just sit and not have anyone expect me to do anything... or be anything...

<Shaw> Good, because I do so hate to be a bad host. Sebastian repeated the telepathic action and squeezed her hand. It took him a moment to notice Tanaka was watching him.

<Jessica> Jess squeezed back and bit her lip, hiding her expression behind her cup again. You have never been that.

<Tanaka> "It's a fairly common name for you Westerners, but still, to call himself Shaw he must have had reason."

<Shaw> This was when Sebastian realized he should have been paying more attention. "I'm terribly sorry, Tetsu'o, what was that?"

<Tanaka> "He was only here once, but said he came on behalf of his benefactor En Sabah Nur." Tanaka's eyes bored into Sebastian's. "The young man called himself Shinobi Shaw."

<Jessica> That caught Jess' attention and she turned her head to look at Sebastian, eyebrow raised. Now she was going to eavesdrop.

<Shaw> "Well, I assure you he is no relation to me... my immediate family is dead." He returned Jess' look with a slight shrug of his own.

<Tanaka> "I thought he might be your son."

<Jessica> Jess' eyebrows both went up at that and she turned her head to look at Tanaka.

<Shaw> Sebastian very nearly choked on his sake.

<Jessica> Jess reached absently to pat him on the back out of habit, "Forgive me, but I think Sebastian would know if he had a child..."

<Oyama> The old man cackled wildly.

<Shaw> "Likely from the paternity suit if nothing else," he said, recovering. "He was Japanese? I first came to Japan just over ten years ago, so it can't be... for several reasons." Shinobi, however, was a curious name to choose for an alias. Just as curious as Shaw.

<Jessica> Feeling the point was settled, Jess fell back into silence and picked up her own sake again.

<Tanaka> "As you say then," he said with a nod, dismissing the conversation with a sip of sake. "Have you seen Matsu'o this trip, Sebastian?"

<Shaw> "Luckily, no." He frowned and slid a glance at Jessica, and tried to change the subject yet again.

<Jessica> Her eyes flicked to Sebastian but she remained mostly focused on the table as she sipped her drink. So that was weird.

<Shaw> And to which bit of weird are you referring? The conversation moved on and he shifted slightly, easing himself closer to her.

<Jessica> Them assuming you had a kid... that was old enough to be here of all places...

<Shaw> Yes... I'm afraid I would have had to get started a tad younger than I did for that. His psychic voice was colored with amusement, and he hoped he successfully hid his unease with the topic.

<Jessica> Way too younger. Jess determined. There has been too much weirdness lately.

<Shaw> I couldn't agree more. Sebastian hated to broach the subject again, but decided he must. "Do you expect Matsu'o this evening?"

<Oyama> "Of course," he interrupted. "Do you think he would miss an opportunity to seek favor in the Inner Circle?"

<Jessica> Who's this Matsu'o guy? Should we make ourselves scarce if you don't want to see him? She wondered how drunk she'd be right now considering how much sake she'd had so far.

<Shaw> Tsurayaba Matsu'o is Yakuza, and a more ruthless climber than most in the club, which should tell you something. He interlaced their fingers. I may have outbid him for the services of a certain mercenary recently.

<Jessica> So... he might be pissed? she gave his hand a squeeze, Don't like the sound of ruthless either...

<Shaw> No, not in this instance. While I'm more than capable of ruthlessness myself in certain situations, I think it's best if we retire early. He started to make his excuses and farewells.

<Jessica> Well good... because this is one thing but I don't think I'll be able to be in the middle of that and not do something....

<Shaw> Sebastian let go of Jessica's hand long enough to stand and shake hands with those around the table, then offered her a hand up as well.

<Jessica> Jess retook his hand with a smile, bidding the others at the table a goodnight before she rose to her feet.

<Shaw> With a final slight bow, he led her out of the private area and through the club. Scanning the crowd, he decided to leave while he could. "There is also the little matter between us," he said softly, sliding his arm around her to rest his hand on her hip, "that Tsurayaba kidnapped my last lover."

<Jessica> Jess stared at him as he steered her along. "What really? Why?"

<Shaw> "She was - is - a telepath, and he coveted her.... wished to use her for his own ends."

<Jessica> "Creepy." She leaned against him, "At least I don't have that going for me."

<Shaw> "I would rather not take the chance," he said. Almost to the door.

<Jessica> She turned her head, giving him a small smile, "You really worry about me, huh?"

<Shaw> "You doubt it?" He glanced down to her as the doorman opened the ornately carved doorway for them.

<Jessica> She shook her head, "No... just sometimes it's a surprise... nice surprise though."

<Shaw> Now outside in the humid night, Sebastian kissed her temple. "I don't want to lose you."

Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Oooooh, that was just delicious shifty. Awesome job, you two! :content
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Jessica> Jess lay on the floor of what had once been her parents' bedroom and stared at the ceiling, listening to the rain as it fell on the slate above. She hadn't changed her outfit from the cemetery, or even removed her shoes and coat so there was a steadily growing damp patch on the carpet as it soaked up the moisture from her clothes.

<Jessica> It was dark in the room, even though it wasn't that late in the day. The clouds outside were heavy and she hadn't turned the light on. It had already been raining for hours and it promised to keep that up for a while longer at least.

<Shaw> "Why, yes, I'll be in the country for at least a few days." Pausing, he waited for Alistair's response. "That's doable." Another pause and he laughed. "Of course. You do realize who you're talking to, don't you?"

<Jessica> Jess heard his voice and blinked out of her daze, "Huh...?" she turned her head this way and that, then realised he wasn't in the room. How long had she even been up there? She was supposed to be getting changed and coming right back down... Pushing herself up to sit, she shivered. Cold. She shrugged her coat off and set about removing her shoes too.

<Shaw> "Tomorrow then. Right. Have a good day." Thumbing off his phone, he pocketed it and stared out the garden door. The rain was heavy and rather hypnotic, splashing against the brick patio and puddling in the grass.

<Shaw> Unsure how long he watched the rain, finally Sebastian shook himself and sucked in a breath through his nose. Hearing slight movement upstairs, he turned to go find Jessica.

<Jessica> After sitting on the floor for a while longer, she finally decided she should get up, picking up her shoes and coat and heading for the stairs so she could go down and get changed.

<Shaw> Sebastian climbed the stairs to the second floor, pausing when he saw her at the top of the third. "What are you doing up there? I assumed you would be wrapped in four blankets by now. Or in the shower."

<Jessica> She shook her head, continuing down to meet him, "Just thinking..." She draped her coat over the end of the rail and dropped her shoes onto the floor to slide her arms around him. Waaaaarm.

<Shaw> Cold. She was freezing, and wet. Wincing slightly, he pulled her in close and wrapped his arms around her. "Thinking? I will admit, this is what one considers more traditional weather for a visit to a cemetery."

<Jessica> "So I hear..." she bowed her head and buried her face against his chest. Much warmer now. "I heard you talking..."

<Shaw> "Yes?" He lifted a few strands of her damp hair and watched it curl.

<Jessica> "Were you outside? It sounded like you were in the bedroom with me for a moment..." She felt a little disorientated and cuddled him tighter.

<Shaw> "No, I was in the kitchen." He looked down at the top of her head. "Are you quite sure you're all right?"

<Jessica> She nodded, "Yeah... no... I'm cold..." she scrunched her shoulders a little in an attempt to get warmer faster.

<Shaw> "Aaah." With a smirk, Sebastian bent to brush her cold ear with his lips. "I can remedy that."

<Jessica> She grinned against him, "Promise?" Then the moment was ruined by a loud rumble of thunder that made her yelp and cling.

<Shaw> He said nothing, but held her closer and tucked her hair behind her sensitive ear. The sound had bothered him, but it hadn't deafened him.

<Jessica> Jess had never been a huge fan of thunderstorms, they always made her feel especially vulnerable. But she was still cold and standing in the hallway in damp clothing was not going to fix that. She attempted to pull herself together and headed for the bedroom.

<Shaw> He followed. Though he had been out in the rain just as much as she, his coat was better and he wasn't as wet. It didn't bother him as much, either. Sebastian had already shed his raincoat and shoes downstairs, but now he started to unbutton his shirt.

<Jessica> Her stockings were the first things to go because her feet were numb and walking through more than a few puddles had seen them collect quite a lot of water. She sat down on the bed and cringed at another crash of thunder over head. She really wanted to crawl under the bed and hide.

<Shaw> "It's too bad the forecast calls for more of the same all week, otherwise I would have suggested we wait for the reinterment." Sebastian stripped off his shirt and went over to her.

<Jessica> She lifted her head to look at him, reaching to take one of his hands and pull him down beside her. "I think they waited long enough...."

<Shaw> "Also true, I suppose." He was far from convinced that the physical remains had anything to do with whatever - if anything - remained after death, but this was hardly the time to question her beliefs. So, instead, he joined her on the bed. "So, you've done your duty and reunited them."

<Jessica> She nodded, "And I feel better for it." Except for that. She flinched as more thunder rolled across the sky. "Think I might take a shower..."

<Shaw> Noticing her reaction to the storm, he kissed the hand he still had. "Would you like some company?"

<Jessica> She nodded again offering a small smile, "Thanks..." A nice hot shower would at least make her feel better and maybe the storm would pass by the time they were done.

<Shaw> "There are no thanks necessary, koibito," he chuckled, turning her hand to nuzzle and kiss her palm.

<Jessica> Jess gently brushed his cheek with her thumb before getting to her feet again and bending to press a kiss to his forehead. She turned for the door, picking up her robe from the hook to cross the hall to the bathroom.

<Shaw> Looking up at her with a soft smile, he watched the sway of her hips as she walked toward the bathroom. After a moment of appreciation, he jumped up to follow her, stripping off his undershirt as he went.

<Jessica> She turned on the water to let it heat up before taking off the rest of her clothing, internally scolding herself as she jumped at the sound of more thunder. It couldn't hurt her, for God's sake.

<Shaw> "Jess... it will pass." Sebastian paused in unbuckling his belt to rest his hand on her back.

<Jessica> "I know..." she turned part way towards him, "I'm okay..." she pushed a hand through her hair then put the other hand under the water to check the temperature. Seemed okay.

<Shaw> A flash lit up the house, followed by a crash loud enough to make him cringe as well.

<Jessica> Not okay! Not okay! She turned to him properly and clung again. "I promise I'm better than this... just not today...."

<Shaw> "Is is the sound?" Finding his arms full again, he held her close.

<Jessica> She nodded, "I think so... mostly..." she took a deep breath, "I'm okay..." now she wasn't sure which of them she was trying to convince. "Shower..."

<Shaw> "Only mostly?" He let go of her to finish undressing and turning his back to her to keep his own composure.

<Jessica> "Well I can't stop it from making me jumpy... and that's sort of embarrassing...?" she wrinkled her nose, scrubbing her face with her hands before stepping under the shower.

<Shaw> "There's no need to be embarrassed," he said, joining her. Sliding his hands around her waist and over her hips, he enjoyed her shower-slick, smooth skin.

<Jessica> She sighed, leaning against him, "That's easy for you to say... I bet you've never been embarrassed a day in your life."

<Shaw> "Only because I am often accused of shamelessness." He chuckled, bending down to plant kisses on her neck and shoulder.

<Jessica> She closed her eyes, tilting her head to expose more of her neck for him. "Well there you go then..."

<Shaw> "It's not true... as you reminded me not long ago, we're only human." Speaking between kisses, he let his hands roam over her stomach and chest. "I have my moments."

<Jessica> "Not with me I hope..." she turned her head, brushing her lips lightly over his cheek.

<Shaw> The night in the Sea of Trees did come to mind, as she had caught him at his most vulnerable. "No," he whispered, kissing along her jawline. "Not with you."

<Jessica> She turned towards him again, sliding her arms around his neck, "Good." She gave him a smile, which faltered slightly at another crash of thunder.

<Shaw> Her little cringe made him smile in sympathy and he leaned in to kiss her, wrapping his arms around her to pull her close.

<Jessica> She returned the kiss, pressing herself as close to him as she could. Now it was easier to forget the thunder.

Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Svartfreja »

<Bobby> Earplugs. That's what he needed. Between Ripley's happy squeals and Yoda's high-pitched yips, he was just about deaf. Luckily, both were winding down and just about over their baby energy bursts.

<Bobby> Sitting in the grass outside of the boathouse, Bobby was definitely enjoying his family time while Lorna worked to get ready for the start of the school year. Yoda flopped into his lap, panting and wriggling, and he ruffled the corgi's huge ears.

<Jessica> Jess strolled across the lawn from the main building, shoes in hand and enjoying the feeling of the grass under her feet. It had been nice to drive her bike over, thankfully still as she remembered it and she smiled to see Bobby on the lawn, raising a hand to wave.

<Bobby> "Hey hey, Jessy!" Bobby returned the wave, but this attracted the attention of both babies and Yoda nearly flipped over in his haste to scramble up and run to Jess yapping.

<Jessica> "Hey!" Jess grinned at Bobby then paid attention to the tiny yapping thing that had reached her feet. "Oh my Goooood! So cuuuute!" She picked Yoda up and cuddled him.

<Bobby> "I know, right?! He's like... the best dog ever!" Bobby took in her blonde hair, tan, and the package under her arm. "You look good, babe. How you doing?"

<Jessica> "I'm doing great," she laughed as Yoda licked her face. "Eeeeew, okay mr excitable, back on the ground you go before you pee or something." She set him down and ruffled his fur. "How're you?"

<Bobby> "Nah, that's me and Ripley who pee when we're excited, not the dog." He grinned up at her and patted the grass. "Pop a squat." Ripley, seated on her diapered butt on the lawn, rolled over backward in her excitement to see another big person.

<Jessica> Jess sat down where he'd indicated, setting her shoes down beside her. "You're getting big!" she leaned to right Ripley, "Good thing I thought of that."

<Bobby> "She's huge... like, I swear she grew a foot while we were in England." Bobby laughed and reached to wipe some drool off his daughter's chin. "And her and the dog are both teething. It's just awesome."

<Jessica> "Sounds like fantastic fun," She held out the package, "I got Ripley a present. I saw it when I was looking for something deliberately tacky for a souveneir and couldn't help myself."

<Bobby> "Aww, thanks, babe!" Taking the wrapped package, he held it out to Ripley, who mostly flailed at it. "Daddy'll help a little here..." Bobby started the rip in the paper and let the baby grasp the edge and yank. The puppy promptly pounced the discarded paper and started wrestling with it, grrring softly.

<Jessica> Jess giggled, "Oh God that is adorable! I might have to steal him."

<Bobby> "Nuuu, my corgi! Get your own!" He held up the baby Godzilla onesie and giggled himself. It was a most manly giggle. "That's awesome, Jessy - thanks!" Bobby showed the onesie to Ripley, who burbled and grinned.

<Jessica> ((link for nosies https://dov5cor25da49.cloudfront.net/pr ... ies_01.jpg ))

<Jessica> "You're welcome!" she laughed, "Don't worry... I'm sure Sebastian wouldn't let me keep it. You should have seen the look on his face when I picked that up. You'd have laughed your ass off."

<Bobby> "Well, scaring Sharky is an idea I can get behind," he admitted, folding the onesie on his lap and giving Jess a shit-eating grin.

<Jessica> "I thought as much," she sighed and leaned back on her hands. "So how was the rest of your England trip? No one got sent back in time I hope?"

<Bobby> "Those damn pesky weeping angels never could get the drop on us. We're just too crafty for 'em." Still grinning, he poked her knee. "How about you? What's with the hair?"

<Jessica> "It was too hot," she looked up at the sky overhead, "Seriously, you could have cooked food on my hair. So I dyed it back to blonde in the hope of some relief. It worked for the most part... and had unexpected results elsewhere."

<Bobby> "Yeah... I still don't get that." He pushed his fingers through his own messy sandy blonde hair. "Hair's hair... I never heard Dee complaining that green was hotter than anything else, and by hot I mean in temperature, because for sure green is the hottest hair color out there." He waggled his brows, clucking his tongue. "If ya know what I mean."

<Bobby> "No offense to blondes," he added with a wink.

<Jessica> She laughed, "None taken... and I thought it was an accepted thing that black absorbs heat better than anything else... what the hell do they teach you people in schools?" she bumped him with her shoulder. "Anyway... it's fine. I was going to dye it back but Sebastian likes it better this way so I'm keeping it."

<Bobby> "Well, yeah... I know it's supposed to, but I never thought of it making a difference with hair." He shrugged and bumped her right back. "So, you and him... still a thing, huh?" Yoda took an interest in all this bumping and pounced.

<Jessica> "Yep, still a thing." She intercepted the pounce, rolling Yoda over and rubbing his belly. "Well, more than just a thing..."

<Bobby> "Oh? More than a thing?" Bobby laughed at the puppy's high-pitched growls of adorable ferociousness. "As long as I don't have to hear about his thing, you can tell me about your thing and I promise I'll be nice."

<Jessica> "Oh you want to hear all about my thing? Well now, what would Lorna think?" she laughed, rolling the puppy from side to side.

<Bobby> "Ha! No, I meant your thing... with Shaw... buuuut, if you really want to tell me about your thing..." He grinned and stopped Ripley from nomming the clover she'd just pulled out of the yard.

<Jessica> She laughed, bumping him with her shoulder again and remaining leaning against him. "It's going really well... better than I expected."

<Bobby> "Oh yeah? Well... good? I mean, good... I'm happy for ya then." Bobby plopped an arm around her and gave her a quick squeeze. He wasn't even going to bring up Kevin, since as far as he knew the guy had yet to come back.

<Jessica> She smiled, resting her head against his shoulder, "I feel... normal... like... properly normal... for the first time ever... it's nice."

<Bobby> "...really?" Because of Shaw? Luckily she couldn't see his confused and mildly disgusted face.

<Jessica> "Really," she nodded, "And I have a house... and both of my parents are buried in the same place... everything's just... really good."

<Bobby> "Better find some wood to knock on real quick, babe." Bobby stopped and thought about what he'd just said, closing his mouth after a beat.

<Jessica> Jess lifted her head, raising an eyebrow at him, then knocked on his head. "Good enough."

<Bobby> "Hardy-har-har. I'll sic my killer dog on you."

<Jessica> "I think I've already won him over, you're too late." She poked her tongue out at him.

<Bobby> "I'll make you babysit." He gave a meaningful look between Jess and Ripley, who was gnawing on her fist and slobbering to put a mastiff to shame.

<Jessica> "I already called 'not it'!" she protested.

<Bobby> "The call of 'not it' must be renewed on a regular basis or it's null and void." He nodded and reached over to rub his corgi's belly in that perfect spot to make his leg kick. "Besides, you can use Rip to make Sharky nervous again."

<Jessica> "You'll only enjoy that if you're actually there and then I wouldn't be babysitting, would I?" she countered, "Besides... I've teased him enough already - he deserves a break... for a while."

<Bobby> "Suuuure he does." Bobby cackled and tried again to extract baby fist from baby mouth. "Well, so, looking forward to getting back to class? Because... doesn't everybody just love class," he snorted.

<Jessica> "I don't know..." she frowned, "I don't even know if I want to stay here... I'm not anticipating everyone making me feel welcome."

<Bobby> This made him look up at her. "Really? Why?"

<Jessica> She gave a half shrug, "Just... everything before... some things were said... can't imagine the sentiment's changed much... I don't blame them... but it'd be nice if they just tried to understand."

<Bobby> Bobby was trying to remember which argument of the week she was talking about. "I dunno, people calm down... besides, I've got some good news too!" He thought about this. "Well, I suppose 'good' might be a matter of perspective."

<Jessica> "It's not a calming down thing..." she wrinkled her nose a little then shook herself, "Good news?"

<Bobby> "Yeah! Chuck rehired me... sorta." He grinned.

<Jessica> "Hey, that is good news!" Jess slid her arms around him for a happy (and ribcrushing) hug.

<Bobby> "Ooooooof.... Ripley! Get the first aid kit!" Bobby gasped and pretended to die in her arms.

<Jessica> Jess giggled and resorted to tickling him back to life. "It's okay, Ripley," Jess assured, "I have a built-in defibrilator!"

<Bobby> "Noooo!" Bobby rolled away, careful of the baby, though the dog pounced him. "Bad touch! Bad touch!"

<Jessica> "Yoda's on my side!" Jess laughed harder, "Get him!"

<Bobby> "No fair! You're my dog!" The puppy nipped at him and Bobby hid his face behind his hands, sitting up a couple feet away and with Yoda McShortlegs hopping up at him and yipping. "Okay, okay... you guys win..."

<Bobby> "Aaanyway, I'm gonna be teaching a military history and strategy type class... so feel free to sign right on up."

<Jessica> "Victory!" Jess threw her hands up, grinning at Ripley too, "I would... except that'd just open a whole other can of worms... besides I liked it better when you taught math. Why can't you teach that again?"

<Bobby> "I guess they don't trust me with math. It's just too nefarious." He whispered this conspiratorily, casting around suspicious glances much to Ripley's delight.

<Jessica> She laughed and gave him a shove, "Only with your creepy replacement teaching it!"

<Bobby> "Yeah, well, I've heard most of the chicks think he's hot, so I'll just have to settle for being the cool teacher." He swayed with the shove and reached over to pick up his daughter.

<Jessica> "Well they're not allowed to think you're hot because you're married and it'll get them nowhere." She nodded sagely, "And I don't think he's hot. Just creepy."

<Bobby> "Well, maybe if I'm a good boy at this class Chuck'll let me take back some of the math classes." He shrugged, cuddling Ripley in his lap. "Right, baby girl?"

<Jessica> "I hope so, then maybe I'll show up." She gave him a grin.