7/15 Announcement: Planned Downtime for Nightscrawlers Chat

Having troubles with the forum? Want your very own pretty avatar? Just want to know what's new with the site? Site announcements, known issues, and tech support: it's all here and more.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

7/15 Announcement: Planned Downtime for Nightscrawlers Chat

Post by HoodedMan »

Good evening,

There will be planned downtime for Nightscrawlers Chat at 2:30 a.m. UTC; the service is being moved to a better server. (Hopefully; a better setup at the least.) Downtime is not anticipated to last longer than half an hour at most. Please let me know if you should experience any issues after 3:00 a.m. UTC.

Thanks!
-HM
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 7/15 Announcement: Planned Downtime for Nightscrawlers C

Post by HoodedMan »

This downtime has been postponed to 7/16 in order to finalize setup and make sure everything's the best it can be. The new server will be connected early in the day so hopefully there will be a smooth transition and not in fact any downtime.

Thanks!
-HM
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 7/15 Announcement: Planned Downtime for Nightscrawlers C

Post by HoodedMan »

The old server is now down; if you connect to chat.nightscrawlers.com (port 6000 or port 6667 - default for IRC clients) or go to http://chat.nightscrawlers.com/ you should have no trouble connecting to the new server.

Some nice things about the new server:
- Much better technical infrastructure; not exactly making a service-level agreement here, but I anticipate no downtime going forward except in the theoretically impossible case of catastrophic hardware failure affecting the whole cloud.
- You can now log in to your registered nickname via the Web interface successfully.
- WIth any IRC client you can specify a password used connecting to the server and it will be passed to NickServ. No need to set up any commands to run on connect.
- If you wish to connect via SSL you can do so either using STARTTLS on port 6667 or by connecting to port 6697.

Let me now if you have any questions or experience any issues. I'm hoping to revamp the client guides sometime soon.