4/14 Announcement: What Happened to Nightscrawlers Chat?

Having troubles with the forum? Want your very own pretty avatar? Just want to know what's new with the site? Site announcements, known issues, and tech support: it's all here and more.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

4/14 Announcement: What Happened to Nightscrawlers Chat?

Post by HoodedMan »

If you click Chat in the links bar above, you might notice that Nightscrawlers Chat looks just a little different! We have discontinued use of our Java client and switched fully to use of the AJAX Web client we had as our "backup" before. We did this for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, Java has recently changed their security model to more strongly discourage use of "untrusted" applications. Our Java client used to be considered a trusted application because it was only connecting to its own host; now, it is considered untrusted by all browsers. We applaud this change from a security standpoint, but it means that either: all of our Java chat users must find their Java control panel and add chat.nightscrawlers.com to a relatively inaccessible host exclusions list; or that we have to pay at least $200/year for a code signing certificate on top of our existing yearly costs for the server hosting Nightscrawlers Chat. Neither of these prospects was particularly appealing.

In addition, use of an AJAX Web client means that our chat users don't have to have Java, Flash, or any other plugins installed to play! This client even works on many mobile devices. Unlike the Web client we were using twelve years ago (!), this client requires minimal bandwidth overhead as compared to the Java client and it has every capability thereof. We hope that you'll find the new chat experience much less disruptive, much easier, and much more portable.

Surely there's still a lot that can be done to improve the experience. Please feel free to reply with any and all suggestions for improvements and we'll see what we can do!

Thanks,

-HoodedMan
Executive/Technical Administrator
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Re: 4/14 Announcement: What Happened to Nightscrawlers Chat?

Post by Slarti »

Thanks so much for taking care of this, HM!! :D
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Woohoo! Thanks HM, you're the best! :D
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

A swanky new look to go along with the return of Nightcrawler!

I like it!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS